Why are flagship headphones so expensive now?
Jan 23, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #301 of 423
One could say that the new flagships makes other headphones cheaper because you can get the HD 650 for less than $200 now.

but it's a deal. a discount. group buy. whatever you want to call it. if you go to the store in normal day. hd 650 still  not less than $200

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #302 of 423
but it's a deal. a discount. group buy. whatever you want to call it. if you go to the store in normal day. hd 650 still  not less than $200

I don't think Sennheiser would have done that if the HD 650 was their flagship headphone.

You can buy the normal HD 650 for less than $500 quite easily also, so it has become cheaper.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #303 of 423
maybe

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00018MSNI

so pricing really adjustable? and hd800 already released since 2008/2009. and i just found hd 650 price came down in some stores recently

or maybe euro currency has changed that much. i haven't check.but if the price really came down. sennheiser should update their website

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #304 of 423
1k + headphones like HD800 / audeze LCD3 are clearly a cut above headphone like HD650/HD700/DT880 that usually cost much less than 1000. Apart from that prices are quite interchangeable within these groups

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #305 of 423
Isn't this the same in any field?  It's likely been covered before, but at the very utmost area of performance, you see diminishing returns.

A top of the line PC is around $3000.  You can build a system with ~85% of the performance for $1300.

A top of the line car is $2,000,000 (as was stated earlier).  It is not going to be another world of performance than a $250,000 car if you look at track times, which is not going to be in another world of performance than a Corvette or a Nissan GT-R.  For people who care about going fast -- a ~$60-80k performance car is going to be more than fast enough.  For people who are true speed enthusiasts, and can afford it, then you're looking at something much more expensive.

Everything is the same -- from pianos to computers to supercars to the materials you build your house out of.  You're going to pay for those last few deviations from the norm for performance.

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #306 of 423
When you look at a Mercedes or BMW which is 4X the price of a Toyota Corolla you can see, feel and hear the difference and it’s readily apparent.   When you try a Mac which can be 2X - 4X the price of a pc you can see it’s very well design with the latest tech.  Same with phones.  For some headphones, it is hard to tell why it cost so much more.  

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #307 of 423
That's why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtKXGbsA94E&t=158s

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #308 of 423
When you look at a Mercedes or BMW which is 4X the price of a Toyota Corolla you can see, feel and hear the difference and it’s readily apparent.   When you try a Mac which can be 2X - 4X the price of a pc you can see it’s very well design with the latest tech.  Same with phones.  For some headphones, it is hard to tell why it cost so much more.  

Exactly it....!.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #309 of 423

Not always applicable.  Plenty of expensive cars are pretty terrible by their price's standards.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #310 of 423
A BMW M3 is terrible in price and cost 5X more than a Corolla, but it's not 3% better.  It's much much better in many aspects and you don't have to close your eyes and concentrate to know the difference.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #311 of 423
  A BMW M3 is terrible in price and cost 5X more than a Corolla, but it's not 3% better.  It's much much better in many aspects and you don't have to close your eyes and concentrate to know the difference.

Better in performance...but reliability and resale...I'm taking the Corolla.

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #312 of 423

Better in performance...but reliability and resale...I'm taking the Corolla.

I think German cars are marketed to the more affluent who keep their cars for only 2 to 4 years so reliability isn't too important.  It's not the first owners who complain about BMW reliability it is the guy who bought it used with 120k miles and those guys are not the people BMW, Audi cares too much for. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #313 of 423
  I think German cars are marketed to the more affluent who keep their cars for only 2 to 4 years so reliability isn't too important.  It's not the first owners who complain about BMW reliability it is the guy who bought it used with 120k miles and those guys are not the people BMW, Audi cares too much for. 

Even in those first few years...you'd be surprised. 
wink.gif
 I drive an Acura and Toyota Sienna...both are over 5 years old and all I've done is change the oil/brakes/tires. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #314 of 423
  When you try a Mac which can be 2X - 4X the price of a pc you can see it’s very well design with the latest tech.

Yeah, they jumped right in there with those new "high tech" touchscreen laptops. Oh no, wait...

Macs cost more simply because people will pay it. Same with any product, from cars to headphones.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #315 of 423

Yeah, they jumped right in there with those new "high tech" touchscreen laptops. Oh no, wait...

Macs cost more simply because people will pay it. Same with any product, from cars to headphones.

You'd be surprise how many IT guys prefer macs over pc and they are quite particular with their hardware configurations, value and cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back