Why Are Downloaded MP3s Such Trash?
Nov 27, 2002 at 1:53 AM Post #17 of 23
I also use EAC with LAME 3.90.2 for ripping CDs and compressing audio tracks into high quality MP3s for archiving my CD collection and uploading them into minidiscs. I discovered these awesome apps here in this forum a while back and I just wanted to share this link to creating amazing MP3s:

http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modul...&file=painless

It has clear step by step instructions on how to download, install and use these apps. I know what Zurg means when he said that this is not a very user-friendly app but I think this link will help a great deal.

Nov 27, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #19 of 23
As far as I know, 3.93 was released without any serious listening tests to fix a very rare bug in previous LAME releases. As a result, it actually introduced new problems by degrading the sound quality of the alt-presets. 3.94 alpha testing is currently under way right now and evem at its current state, it looks a lot more promising than 3.93.

3.90.2 is an unofficial compile made by Dibrom at Hydrogenaudio.org. It has undergone extensive listening tests and is recommended over there to be the LAME version to use. On my machine at least, 3.90.2 is 10% faster than 3.92 at compressing.

It's too confusing to keep track of so many versions, I would just stick with 3.90.2 for both speed and quality until 3.94 comes out.

Nov 27, 2002 at 7:49 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by jessica00
for those wondering., song was sasha - xpander.

****. Yes.

That entire ****ing EP is such a crazy gem of 4 songs. I have access to the CD (my copy got stolen along with 45 other CD's
mad.gif
) and I own the vinyl. I can't wait to compare the two and make my own analysis about the CD versus vinyl war. I also recently picked up a copy of Airdrawndagger on vinyl. Simply outstanding music. The comparisons should be fun!

Nov 27, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #21 of 23
Maybe its the compression? Low bit rate or something? I've found mp3s to be quite hollow sounding. I never bother with them. With a good tuner/receiver (Tivoli PAL!) FM radio reaches an excellent level. Far better than "free" online mp3.

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Cap'n Dan
Maybe its the compression? Low bit rate or something? I've found mp3s to be quite hollow sounding. I never bother with them. With a good tuner/receiver (Tivoli PAL!) FM radio reaches an excellent level. Far better than "free" online mp3.

If you lived in my area you wouldn't say that... There is no listenable music on the radio here.

mp3's are a far better alternative.

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #23 of 23
yep, only thing on the radio is pop, rap, ****ty rock, country, religious babble, boring talk. WHERE IS THE TECHNO!?! on some college station at 2 am they play some kinda "dark music" **** thats more like ambient trance..but anyhow. AM is worse, its full of mexican babble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back