Why am I getting garbled audio (iTunes 7 / RME Digi 98/6 PAD SPDIF)?
Oct 31, 2006 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
I've got an RME Digi 96/8 PAD connected to a Scott Nixon Chibi Saru with a Blue Jeans coax cable.

I just did a fresh install of Windows and downloaded iTunes 7.1.0.8.

I selected RME channel 1/2 and WAV out only in Quicktime preferences, but I am getting garbled sound (kinda like when the RME is using it's emulated DirectSound drivers even though I've selected WAVout only).

Any way to correct this or do I have to revert back to iTunes 6?

Nov 1, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 9
your clock settings feeding into the chibi saru probably aren't 44.1. since the chibi is a NOS dac, it can only "read" 44.1 while you may be feeding it 48 or 96 or whatever...check the clock settings on your digital out...

Nov 1, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 9
In Quicktime preferences: 16 bits, 44.1 kHz, stereo.

Is the problem I described one of the problems others have had with iTunes 7 in Windows? Or might I have a conflict with some other installed program?

EDIT: sound output is fine when I use the integrated sound on my MSI K8NGM2-FID (Nforce 430 / 410 chipset) to computer monitor speakers.

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 9
if QT is outputting in 44.1 then something is happening from your soundcard into the DAC. the signal most likely is not bit-perfect, thus the distorted sound. i'm not a PC/windows guy so i don't know the exact answer, but either way, it sounds as though the output is the wrong clocking (which doesn't seem to be) OR the signal going into your DAC is somehow not bit-perfect.

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, for some reason I think it is outputing a DirectSound output, even though I selected WaveOut only in Quicktime preferences (the RME only has emulated DirectSound drivers and I've gotten kind of similar garbling with some computer DirectSound sounds through the RME in the past).

Hope I can figure out how to correct it because I really like Coverflow in iTunes 7.

BTW, iTunes 7.0.2 was released tonight for anyone interested:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 9
Plugged my headphones into the analog jack of the RME and get the same garbling (there seems to be this stuttering sound superimposed on the music).

I think the RME is working fine because Theatertek (DVD playback software) works fine when I select it for audio.

??

Nov 1, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 9
I had the same problem with itunes 7. Even when I tried to make a cd it came out garbled. I am using real player right now. No problems. I have no idea what is wrong.

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 9
I wish I could help, but iBlues is never seeing the inside of my HDD
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 9
Looks like it's an RME driver problem:

"There are known issues with some RME cards and Quicktime7.Apparently Quicktime 7 requires a true WDM driver,which is not,and likely will not be available for the Digi 96/8 series cards.
Your best options are to downgrade to Quicktime 6.5.2,or consider installing "Quicktime alternative":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime_Alternative
Regards,
George"

(e-mail response from RME Tech Support)

EDIT: downloaded and installed Quicktime Alternative and unfortunately still have the same problems. Looks like it's back to iTunes 6 and have to wait to use iTunes when I eventually get an Apple Macbook or iMac.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back