why all the skullcandy hate?
Oct 5, 2007 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

thefumexxl

New Head-Fier
i personally love my skullcandy smokin buds, just got em today, very comfortable fit great sound. i thought about the full metal jackets but didnt want to spring the extra cash. so just wondering what is so bad about them. oh and alot of people dont realize the GI and the TI model enclosed headsets are for dj'ing not necessarily for everyday use. but yeah ill agree they are very very much into the fashion but the sound on alot of their headsets are fantastic.

also since im new here
please also explain
why everyone is a sennheiser fan whore?

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 74
Its really quite simple. Skullcandy's sound terrible compared to actual high-end headphones. I suggest you do a side-by-side comparison between a pair of Skullcandy's and a pair of Grado SR-60s.

Sennheiser is one of the top brands in audio equipment. People like them because they make good headphones.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #4 of 74
Ah, the unmistakable words of someone who hasn't heard better.

Sennheiser makes a lot of good headphones. That said, some people just don't like their sound signature (prefering AKGs, for example).

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 74
If you honestly do think the Skullcandys have great sound, we have got to get you to try some of the big names around here-Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, Koss, Audio Technica, etc. They blow Skullcandy out of the sky, sonically.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefumexxl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i personally love my skullcandy smokin buds, just got em today, very comfortable fit great sound. i thought about the full metal jackets but didnt want to spring the extra cash. so just wondering what is so bad about them. oh and alot of people dont realize the GI and the TI model enclosed headsets are for dj'ing not necessarily for everyday use. but yeah ill agree they are very very much into the fashion but the sound on alot of their headsets are fantastic.

also since im new here
please also explain

Compared to what? Ear buds?

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 74
Quote:

Welcome to head-fi, thefumexxi!

The higher-end Sennsheisers are some of the best sounding headphones around. Current production models such as the HD600 and HD650 are considered, along with a very few others, to be the best of what is currently available, though not to everyone's taste. They also have at least one out-of-production headphone that is considered by many to be one of the best, if not the best, ever made.

xin_1208031016192461549411.jpg

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 74
I'll admit, I'm one of the guilty ones that also bought some SkullCandy headphones before even coming here. *feels ashamed*
rolleyes.gif
I also thought the sound was "great" and thought it "couldn't get any better than this!" Of course, these are the words of the very unexperienced and untrained who's just getting into audio, or probably like sound but never knew better.

If you stick around here long enough, you'll learn a lot like I did as well as many others just joining in!
580smile.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you honestly do think the Skullcandys have great sound, we have got to get you to try some of the big names around here-Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, Koss, Audio Technica, etc. They blow Skullcandy out of the sky, sonically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, the unmistakable words of someone who hasn't heard better.

Sennheiser makes a lot of good headphones. That said, some people just don't like their sound signature (prefering AKGs, for example).

So this was how I was entrapped by Head-fi. Both posts sound very familiar a year ago
blink.gif

The sinister thing about audiophilism, once you hear something better, you'll want it. Once you have it, you'll then wonder if there's even something else better than that. --> A never ending fall into audio oblivion.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 74
well, yes, an audiophile is a beast that can never be satisfied, but some of us have an instinct to attack companies and products which we belive to be designed to cheat users, thats why alot of people hate ipods, thinking that their design over quality, or Bose is well hated becuase they sell headphones which sound quality would put then in a price no higher then 30-50 bucks at 100-150 dollars, some see skull candy as a company who dosnt care how their headphones sound, just how they look, so you spend 30-50 dollars on a headphone which is over hyped as "COOL" and then you get bass that sounds like a wet fart, mids which are lost in space and highs which feel like someone is scraping the inside of your ear with a needle,

and thats basicly not fair,

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #12 of 74
Hi, I'm a new member and i am using the Koss KSC75. I don't know what the fuss is about the skullcandy headphones.. My friend has one and he thinks it's the best thing in the world. Tomorrow I'm gonna show him how much my 20 dollar 'phones own his 50 dollar glossy POC
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #13 of 74
OP: if you listened to some sennheisers (higher/better models), you would be surprised

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 74
Quote:

also since im new here
please also explain

The reason that people here dislike SkullCandy earphones is because for the money, there are far better sounding options available. They're all about the bling, and not about the 'sing'. Okay, bad joke.

That said, not everyone here is a 'sennheiser fan whore'. Sure, Sennheiser headphones get a lot of respect here, but it's not as if they have been unanimously accepted as the all and end all of headphones. Grado, AKG, Beyerdynamic Denon, Shure, Etymotic, Westone, and a slew of others are also very well thought of and discussed here.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm a new member and i am using the Koss KSC75. I don't know what the fuss is about the skullcandy headphones.. My friend has one and he thinks it's the best thing in the world. Tomorrow I'm gonna show him how much my 20 dollar 'phones own his 50 dollar glossy POC
biggrin.gif

There ya go!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back