why all the skullcandy hate?
Oct 6, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #46 of 74
Well, the truth is that we can sit around here and tell him that something is better. I didn't have a problem sporting my iBuds until I found this place. My suggestion to the OP is that if you think they sound good then leave head-fi and do not look back. However, you came to head-fi on your own free will so I guess you are open to suggestions?

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #47 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Skullcandy's are a horrible joke to play on the youth of America. Bullets on an audio device? Come on, it's pathetic. Garbage sound quality aside, no one, and I mean NO ONE should be wearing headphones with bullets on them. 3 bullets... one for yourself and two for the next two people you see in line waiting to buy a pair.

Next up: The Gangsta' Drive-By "Edition 9mm Glock". They come with fake bullet holes to stick on your forehead, and a certificate of authenticity in the form of an obituary to give your parents.

Ultrasone, eat your heart out. Or you prefer we bust a cap in 'yo ass?

Okay, now you've done it. Leave Glock out of this. You've offended my Glock 19, Glock 23 and Glock 27 now. Enough.

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #48 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, now you've done it. Leave Glock out of this. You've offended my Glock 19, Glock 23 and Glock 27 now. Enough.

It could be said that Glocks are the SkullCandies of the gun world.
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #49 of 74
If you push the everyone has different tastes argument to its logical conclusion, than nothing is inherently better than anything else, and there is no such thing as an objectively superior audio product. To a degree this is true, and we see it all the time here; for example, people are often split over Grado and Sennheiser, or the HD-650 and the K701, but all of these are excellent products, with no real consensus on superiority.

Now that being said, I think we can agree that some things are just inherently better for the majority of the population. Someone might like a Toyota Carola better than a Lexus GS, but overwhelming general consensus in going to be that the Lexus is the superior automobile, regardless of the tastes of a few outliers.

Skullcandy doesn't make bad products, but they are pushed more for aesthetics than for sound. They have cornered a unique cultural market, one that is highly concerned about the coolness factor of their headphones, and slightly less concerned about their sound. These people aren't wasting they're money, they're spending it on something else: image. Nothing screams loser like walking around with a pair of HD-650's, these bad boys are confined to the comfort of my room. Skullcandy has made their products "cool" to be seen with, which is more than Grado, AKG, or Sennheiser can say.

All of us (most of us) here on Head-fi think Skullcandy sucks because we're really only concerned about audio quality, not aesthetics. This is an audiophile community. That also means we tend to have a collective taste that is different (not necessarily superior) to the general public, who often prefers certain parts of their music to be more accentuated (usually the bass), whereas we generally prefer a more flat response. Even within our own community there are some outliers, but I think the collective Head-fi consensus would be that Skullcandy is not a good headphone when based on its audio merits alone.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #50 of 74
I am in high school and I see Skullcandys all the time. It is funny, because nobody in my school understands sound quality. I try to explain, but my friend went out and bought skullcandy something-er-other. I listened to them, they were 50 dollars and they were not terrible. There are better headphones/ IEMs at that price range, but they were not a disgrace. Now, the Full Metal Jackets, I don't know about those. I mean what are the 100 dollars or something? Maybe they are good, but I am almost sure that companies like grado have better headphones at the $100 mark.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #51 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He had it coming with this statement.
why everyone is a sennheiser fan whore

Last time I checked, tons of us were Grado whores, AKG whores, Etymotic whores, etc....
Not just Sennheiser whores here. So I must disagree with his statement.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #52 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Now you're just being stupid, Glocks are great handguns, they are very reliable, simple and yet practical design and are very safe. Seriously, don't bring that up with Glock owners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last time I checked, tons of us were Grado whores, AKG whores, Etymotic whores, etc....
Not just Sennheiser whores here. So I must disagree with his statement.

True, I'm a AKG and Grado fan. Not so much for Sennheiser.

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #55 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Territhemayor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I see people at my school with them, I'm not going to lie, I die a little inside, lol. Charlie.

Oh yeah, it won't change in college either. You'll meet all these trendy bio majors all smug with their Bose all saying they're personally gonna cure cancer one day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DOLLAR STORE HEADPHONES >>> HD600'S LOL

LOL. My ex-roomate likes to compare my HD650 to three-for-a-dollar headphones that he got from a dollar store. Obviously, I don't live with him anymore.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #57 of 74
In addition to the sound discussion, I would like to point out that not all people are as good in describing things they hear. I find the descriptions of headphones sometimes to be similar to those of wines. "This wine is sparkling, fruity, round and has a hint of almond to it vs. "the sound is crispy, sharp, edgy, close-up" or whatever.

I'm not saying people who use such terms to describe things are wrong. I'm saying I for one am not very good at such descriptions. Furthermoer your average Joe does not spend nearly as much time comparing different equipment and thinking about their characteristics. They just want to hear music... but I think the essential has pretty much been said in this thread by now.

edit: LeChuck did a good post while I was writing this.

Oct 6, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #58 of 74
Quote:

tongue.gif

Glocks are actually more of the bose of the gun world, there ok but there are much better for the money. my friend is a gun nut and I was hanging out with him while they were doing some shooting practice and there was quite the heated discussion about glocks... I just love my airsoft glock that's all I know
rs1smile.gif

I'm more of a .45 man, they take cooler pictures
tongue.gif

1234444249_c9b369413c.jpg

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #60 of 74
Quote:

tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bradler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glocks are actually more of the bose of the gun world, there ok but there are much better for the money. my friend is a gun nut and I was hanging out with him while they were doing some shooting practice and there was quite the heated discussion about glocks... I just love my airsoft glock that's all I know
rs1smile.gif

I'm more of a .45 man, they take cooler pictures
tongue.gif

1234444249_c9b369413c.jpg

lol both true statements...glocks (mainly speaking of their basic 9 mil.) are weak guns for the money (ie. the skullcandy and bose comparisons), but they are safe i'll give you that, but you can buy more powerful and accurate guns for the same or a little more price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back