Why 5G iPod Seems > X5
Jan 20, 2006 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

K2Grey

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodPort
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IaudioPort

iPod Rockbox seems to be pretty damn close to completion! Of course, it will probably take a good while before they actually release a working version to the general public. But the iAudio port seems to be nowhere close to being done.

I was considering buying a Rio Karma despite its reliability issues with the hard drive and scroll wheel (first hoping that it doesn't break down, and second that if it does, extended warranty will take care of it), but with Rockbox and the accompanying gapless playback nearly done, I think the 5G is a safer choice.

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 18
does this mean that we can rockbox in gapless and a parametric eq? finally, i can listen to operas on the ipod!

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
does this mean that we can rockbox in gapless and a parametric eq? finally, i can listen to operas on the ipod!

If you re-rip all of your music, sure. Rockbox is overrated.

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 18
I guess it's all relative and on what you like. It doesnt really matter, even after the initial release for the ipod, trust me you wont want to use it. The rockbox for h320 is still kind of grimm and its been out for a couple of months. Just be patient all will be well in the end.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 18
As soon as I confirm that this is reliable and allows gapless playback, I will buy an iPod within a couple minutes.

Quote:

If you re-rip all of your music, sure.

Why would I have to rerip my music?

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #8 of 18
Damn, rockbox was the best thing the underdogs had going for them. If ipod gets it, coupled with it's better screen and stronger CPU, rockbox will pretty much null all feature advantages other players had over it. Oh well.

Edit: My point being it will help ipod sales and allow apple to get even lazier with firmware without consequence. And other companies will suffer if they can't put out economically equal and superior hardware and be lucky enough to get rockbox (iaudio anyone? not anymore)

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Why would I have to rerip my music?

He's probably assuming everyone has theirs in AAC, even though I don't see the advantage over mp3. Both of them are close enough to transparency (if not transparent) anyway and if you're obsessed with max sound quality you will go with ALAC anyway.

BTW, I would expect there to be a wait of a few months before Rockbox is going smoothly, so I wouldn't necessarily buy one within a few minutes.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 18
Can someone explain rockbox to me?

I am guessing this is software/firmware that replaces the ipod's stock software/firmware with more improved features. Can anyone expand on this? Does it void the warrenty?

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #11 of 18
It is indeed what you think, a firmware that replaces the original and which has additional features, notably gapless playback and more formats, and some people have been hoping for a parametric EQ but I doubt that will materialize.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
He's probably assuming everyone has theirs in AAC, even though I don't see the advantage over mp3. Both of them are close enough to transparency (if not transparent) anyway and if you're obsessed with max sound quality you will go with ALAC anyway.

BTW, I would expect there to be a wait of a few months before Rockbox is going smoothly, so I wouldn't necessarily buy one within a few minutes.

You'd need to rip in ogg or FLAC or re-rip your MP3's to get gapless.

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
You'd need to rip in ogg or FLAC or re-rip your MP3's to get gapless.

Not if your MP3's were originally encoded using LAME 3.90 or later, which I bet is what a lot of people here use. Rockbox supports the --nogap tag, which is written by default in newer versions of LAME.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #14 of 18
Really? Gapless since 3.90? I must have done something wrong in that case.. oops
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 18
my ipod just got a 1.1 firmware update - i wonder what was on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back