who's used a Millett Max as a preamp for a Gainclone?
Oct 31, 2008 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pinkfloyd4ever

500+ Head-Fier
And how do you like it compared to other preamps/volume controls you've used with a gainclone? I've decided to go with a gainclone rather than a 41hz kit for my first real speaker setup. I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible (max $200 for the amp) so it'd be awesome if i didnt even have to worry about buying so much as a pot, let alone preamp components. For those that don't know, I already have said millett max built and paid for a long time ago. I'll be using an alien Dac (maybe diyMod in the future) as a source, and my speakers are stock Insignia bookshelves (8ohm, 90db)

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 11
It will probably work ok, but you may find that the system has too much gain. You can tame the output of the Millett MAX by adding output resistors like the original design had (and the pcb may still have them, I can't remember). But for an inexpensive solution it should be fine.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will it require bigger heatsinks? I just have 1"ers all around, it's a BJT max

If they are OK for running headphones they are totally set to be a preamp.

Have you considered a passive preamp for the gainclone, or building as an integrated amp? To agree with nate, the gainclone should run off of a CD-level signal very well.

Nov 1, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 11
Before buying output resistors I'd just buy a cheap (panny?) pot and build the GC as an integrated as well. It's just easier that way and avoids the millett hassle.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are OK for running headphones they are totally set to be a preamp.

Have you considered a passive preamp for the gainclone, or building as an integrated amp? To agree with nate, the gainclone should run off of a CD-level signal very well.

Yaa, by a passive preamp you mean something like this? I was also looking at the Godfather's B1 Buffered Preamp but even that is a little more than I wanted to do right now, plus there's the problem of finding the JFETs. Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before buying output resistors I'd just buy a cheap (panny?) pot and build the GC as an integrated as well. It's just easier that way and avoids the millett hassle.

integrated just means that it has a volume control, right? I was actually thinking about using the Optivol, but maybe I will just go with a Panasonic for the time being, cause an Optivol might push me past the $200 mark

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

integrated just means that it has a volume control, right?

As far as I'm concerned, yes and I'm pretty sure lots of Gain Clones have been built this way.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

but even that is a little more than I wanted to do right now, plus there's the problem of finding the JFETs.

tough to find? they're sold with the authorized boards...

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 11
pinkfloydforever, it would be nice to build the B1 and I was/am thinking about building it. Problem is that the first round of PCB's went in a heartbeat! The next set should be out soon and for a $30 PCB, where is the harm?

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tough to find? they're sold with the authorized boards...

if you're lucky enough to get one in the 0.468357 second that they (the boards) last when they come back in stock
rolleyes.gif

edit: hmmm, maybe Papa will sell me just a matched set of JFETs. The B1 can be (and has been) built on perfboard
wink.gif

I think I'll ask him over at diyaudio, I'll let you guys know what he says

Nov 6, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 11
so for the JFETs on the B1 somebody over at diyaudio directed me to this site Tech DIY Company Store MONEY BABY!!!

Dammit that ebayer only has a pair of mono noble steppers left
frown.gif
You shoulda told me about em earlier Germainia
tongue.gif
Ahh well, you win some, you lose some.

EDIT: I just bought that Hafler 50k pot he had though, I figured why not...plus I haven't bought anything from ebay in awhile and was starting to go thru withdrawls
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back