who's got strong cryptic powers?
Dec 18, 2008 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Quaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
came acrosss this conudrum on a webtrail i am trying to beat, its one of the portions and wanted to see how well anyone else fared in coming up with a possible answer(s)

ph34r.gif

it asks for the name of the country and a number of weeks.
angry_face.gif

"i would like to introduce the hardline according to Sananda Maitrey...

just a short while to go until societies debts have been more than paid, remember this in your final arithmetic!

also, a landmass that is bridged by a body of water who once kissed a celtic capital of old ties us into this countrymans tale, once headed by a loyal mercenary mistaken as a wolf in sheeps clothing trying to protect my adopted country's rebel hero

the hero's crime was the love of his country and in this instance, much more importantly his beloved, a fine lass with many talents, which prime nocte took away in one fell swoop

tell me the number of weeks that are to be calculated correctly, and my country of origin to let me know your game is worthy of playing and that your cryptic powers are worthwile for me to decipher?"

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 25
Prime Nocte was practiced in Celtic Scottland.
Maybe the number has something to do with how long Prime Nocte lasts.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

about three minutes if I know the King.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 25
Terence Trent D'Arby's first album was called Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby, and a few years ago he changed his name to Sananda Maitreya.

where to go from there... i have no freakin' clue.
confused.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

just a short while to go until societies debts have been more than paid, remember this in your final arithmetic!

also, a landmass that is bridged by a body of water who once kissed a celtic capital of old ties us into this countrymans tale, once headed by a loyal mercenary mistaken as a wolf in sheeps clothing trying to protect my adopted country's rebel hero

the hero's crime was the love of his country and in this instance, much more importantly his beloved, a fine lass with many talents, which prime nocte took away in one fell swoop

tell me the number of weeks that are to be calculated correctly, and my country of origin to let me know your game is worthy of playing and that your cryptic powers are worthwile for me to decipher?"

Can you provide a link to the sorce of this text, it looks like a slightly sloppy translation, which does not help

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 25
its absolutely verbatim.

copied and pasted from a webtrail email that you get when you sign up to one of the games on quest4treasure

thanks guys for the other ideas too!!

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terence Trent D'Arby's first album was called Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby, and a few years ago he changed his name to Sananda Maitreya.

where to go from there... i have no freakin' clue.
confused.gif

oh, and the lyrics to D'Arby's song "Seven More Days" includes the line: "Society's debts have been more than paid."

so that could be one week right there.

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prime Nocte was practiced in Celtic Scottland.

I was under the impression that "Celtic" referred to ancient Irish culture, while "Gaelic" referred to ancient Scots. I don't believe the two are interchangeable.

Is this sloppiness on the part of the clue author, or is it by design?

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that "Celtic" referred to ancient Irish culture, while "Gaelic" referred to ancient Scots. I don't believe the two are interchangeable.

Is this sloppiness on the part of the clue author, or is it by design?

In mathematical terms, Gaelic is a subset of Celtic. Welsh, Irish, Scots are Celtic whereas Gaelic is primarily Scots and Irish to a lesser degree (my understanding at least).

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 25
ah ha.. good to know.

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
came acrosss this conudrum on a webtrail i am trying to beat, its one of the portions and wanted to see how well anyone else fared in coming up with a possible answer(s)

ph34r.gif

it asks for the name of the country and a number of weeks.
angry_face.gif

As I see it, the hero is William Wallace from Braveheart. The mercenary taken for a wolf in sheeps clothing would be Stephen Feherty, character who was born in Ireland and tried to protect Wallace. The Celtic capital of Ireland was Carlow, which means "four lakes" for the body of water bridging the landmass (Ireland) formed by the junction of two rivers.

So the country would be Ireland and the number of weeks five, one for the song in the Terence Trent d'Arby album, and four for Carlow (four lakes).

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #15 of 25
ok found it out...thought some may be interested inthe final answers...

as mentioned by previous posters,

this is a part lyric from "seven more days", a track by terence trent d'arby (now known as Sananda Maitrey) on his introducing the hardline according to terence trent d'arby album

(7 days = 1 week) "remember this in your final arithmetic!"

the celtic capital of old is Liverpool, (often referred to as the capital of North Wales! especially in victorian times) (Wales/Welsh = Celtic)

Liverpool is bridged by a body of water that is shared by itself and Ireland. (The Irish Sea)

the countryman that this ties us into is;

"The mercenary taken for a wolf in sheeps clothing would be Stephen Feherty, character who was born in Ireland and tried to protect Wallace."- as worked out by Cool_Torpedo above.

the adopted country portion, refers to the author of this cryptic clue, who was a londoner who now lives in Scotland, rebel hero, being william wallace as noted previously.

wallaces woman in Braveheart, "much more importantly his beloved, a fine lass with many talents" was Murron, played by Catherine McCormack.

presumably the many talents portion is referring to the fact that she played a character who was virtually unrecognizable to the fresh faced Murron in braveheart, meaning a talented actress.....she played Alice in the feature film, 28 Weeks later.

so...

''tell me the number of weeks that are to be calculated correctly, and my country of origin to let me know your game is worthy of playing and that your cryptic powers are worthwile for me to decipher?"'

28 weeks, plus the 1 (7 days) week from the beginning = 29 weeks.

and the country of origin is Ireland (determined by the the mercenary who protected william wallace, mentioned above, 'my island')

hehe.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back