Who's Going to Boston(World Tour)?
May 27, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 7
I'll be there. But you'd better bring your Melos, because mine is going to stay at home!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
I'll be there. But you'd better bring your Melos, because mine is going to stay at home!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll have it in the car. Maybe we could work it into the mix? Or I could hook up a DC/AC converter?

Jun 7, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm gonna try and make it. I've never actually listened to high quality headphones, but I think I may need some for college this fall, and if they sound nearly as good as I think they're going to my wallet will probably become much lighter in the near future. I figure its worth the 3 hours of driving round trip to actually be able to hear the type of stuff I might be buying, plus some really cool stuff thats worth more than I am (Orpheus
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I'm probably going to be spending a good chunk of time looking at stuff I'm considering buying, like (relatively) cheaper amps and headphones, and most especially Etymotic stuff. If I don't make it to the show I'm just about at the point of ordering an ER-6 or ER-4P, but I really should figure out if in-ear-cannal actually is for me, and which one best suits my purpose.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some things I should be sure not to miss to get a good sense of what the headphone world is all about. I want to be able to maximize my time to get the most out of this opportunity.

I'm really looking forward to this show, and really really hope that I can make it.

Peace,

-Will

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 7
I'll be there, with my trusty HD-580's. Does anyone in the area have a new Moretto amp that they'd be willing to bring by? I'd love to get a listen to one.

billcat

I'd say check out the Airheads from Headroom and see what you think of them. They are a really cheap option for an amplifier. Also, you should get a listen to the Sennheiser HD580/600's (they're very similar headphones, you should check them both out). Maybe someone will bring a DIY amp made by JMT or themseles to show you another low cost amp option, and I think there will be a Porta Corda made by Jan Meier. For sure listen to the MG Head OLT Tube amp, and the Little or Home amps from Headroom to get a sense of tube vs. solid state. And just have a chat with Tyll, the Big Poppa over at Headroom and chief on this cross country adventure, because I'm sure he'll have loads of advise for you.

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 7
dang! i couldn't make it! oh well, i've pretty much decided that Etymotic ER-4P are the headphones for me. i figure there are only two ways that i could end up not liking them: 1) sound quality falls -way- below my expectations, but i'm not really worried about that happening at all 2) I can't stand having those things in my ears. if either of these occur, i can always just return the Etymotics to HeadRoom and get some other ones, probably Sennheiser HD580 or HD600. the other real drawback of not being able to go is that now i won't have a chance to compare the ER-6 and ER-4P... theres a chance that the ER-6 would be more than good enough for me, but i'm certain that i won't regret going for the 4P.

i'm still pretty bummed about not being able to test out a bunch of amps and nice headphones, and i'm really bummed about missing out on the Orpheus and other such uberexpensive items, but thats the way life goes i guess.

i hope everyone who made it had an awesome time at the show! hopefully i'll be able to make it next time around
wink.gif

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 7
I doubt you'll be disapointed with the 4P's. I went to the Boston stop today. Got to listen to the Orpheus. I was kind of let down. Maybe the tubes are getting tired. The Blockhead with the Cardas cables sound much better to me. The E.A.R HP4 was also impressive. I waqs surprised how good the Grado RA1/RS-2 combo sounded even after listening to the High-end cabinet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back