Whom to Believe - Stereophile or HeadRoom - about Grado SR125's?
Jan 25, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #16 of 67
well, in the under 20 dollar price range there are a few decent headphones, like the KSC 75 and the HD 201. These are a lot better than a lot of other <20 headphones. Thus the 4.5 rating, makes sense to me.
tongue.gif

they don't mean 4.5 compared to the HD 580 though.
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #17 of 67
Grados are good for low cost sources and amps.

Their lack of inner detail and resolution masks problems with components.

Really fine resolving phones like the Etymotic 4S and Sony SA5000 will reveal problems with low cost sources and amps - but with good sources and amps will bring out inner detail and timbral nuances without congesting complex passages.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
well, in the under 20 dollar price range there are a few decent headphones, like the KSC 75 and the HD 201.

My KSC-35 are really more than decent out of my laptops, out of my iPod Mini, out of my mini-stereo, my electric piano, out of anything I plug them into. My HD201's are not decent out of my laptops, out of my iPod Mini, more or less out of my mini-stereo, and just ok out of my piano. So I don't really think the 201s are a good value for the general consumer, unless explicitely indicating as a warning "it's difficult to get it to normal listenable volumes, you need a receiver or amp. Portable players, laptops, and some desktop computers in general might have difficulty driving it satisfactorily", or something along those lines.

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #19 of 67
Headroom are too opinionated for their own good. If you can't recommend something or you give it a tepid rating, why are you selling it?

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 67
Well, if I were in a life and death situation and had to choose to trust from those two, Headroom would be my choice. While Headrooms opinions might not be the whole truth, I've always felt that stereophiles reviews lack objectivity compared to HeadRoom... but this is only my opinion and as many have said, you should rather trust your own ears.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #21 of 67
Well, It's not in class A in the recommended components so there. Stereophile simply just think its great for the price. Headroom listens to a lot of headphones so they have a better basing for value on cans I think

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
The SR125 is the worst bang for buck Grado headphone (espeically if you take into account the superior MS1 for $25 cheaper, but also its spot between the SR80 and SR225). Thus the Headroom rating. It's still a very good phone (thus the Stereophile rating). No disconnect there.

Well, the disconnect is that magazine reviewers don't pay for their own equipment. When something doesn't cost you anything, it isn't difficult to recommend it on it's sound quality alone.

I would trust my own ears, first. But I'd also trust the listening opinions of folks around here. I personally am looking to "move up" to the MS1 and, perhaps later, go higher in the Grado line, skipping the SR 80 and 125.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #23 of 67
I'd side with HeadRoom. When I was auditioning Grados for my purchase, I liked the SR-80 more than the 125 regardless of price, but hey... that's just me.

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #24 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Is there a little inconsistency in posting "don't listen to anyone, trust yourself" expecting them to listen to your advice?
blink.gif

I mean that's why we're all here right - to give and solicited advice? Reviews are a part of that.

Yes and no.... Let me explain.

Generally I tend to shy away from "What do you think about XYZ headphone?"... kinds of discussions UNLESS a common reference is stated. Personally, I'm much more likely to dive into details when the poster is requesting an A/B comparison.... or something of that sort, and a common reference sound is stated.

OK lets propose an example: Heres my comments on the SR125. Bright, aggressive, in your head soundstage. Good bass impact, marginal sub-bass extension, good treble extension....etc...

BUT is it all really that usefull without stating a reference point?

if someone asks me to compare the RA1 and HF1 for example, then I roll up my sleeves and dig into the details. I find that I am a much better reviewer when asked to make a, A/B comparison... versus general comments.

I LOVE reading A/B/C comparisons too. IMHO a comparison type of review is much more usefull than an "open ended" review. IMHO most www reviews are useless...." This headphone is bright and articulate"... Compared to what? Compared to a portapro an HD580 is bright and articulate. Compared to an SR125 the HD580 is dark and less forward.

Anyways... thats how I see it.. Maybe others disagree and see it differently.

Garrett

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #25 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
BUT is it all really that usefull without stating a reference point?

I completely agree... but Headroom gives the reference points right there. You can see what they give 5 stars in the price point/use and what they give 3. It's actually more objective than most of our conversations on Head-Fi, because it's strictly a bang for buck rating system. It's not a true 0-5 out of all they sell, nor is it the same out of all headphones (Triports may alone shoot the SR125 to 5 stars), but it's pretty fair.

I truly believe if they came out with a ranking system that said "Darkness of Color" someone would be upset if the K701 scored low. But it sounds so good!

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #26 of 67
I had the SR-125, and honestly thought it was a great can. Perhaps the fact I had it paired with the PAV2 helped to tame what many of you call shrill.

But it does not matter what any of us thinks. The individual user has to listen to it and make a call.

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #27 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

And let's face it, masks problems with recordings as well. IMO, poor recordings are both more common and a worse problem than low cost sources/amps (most of which are at least decent these days). Those who listen to musical genres that are notoriously poorly recorded may prefer Grados for that aspect alone.

P.S. I feel that the issue with poor recordings is generally underrated and neglected around here. Oftentimes I'll see a person criticizing a headphone or other piece of gear, and find myself wondering exactly what they were listening to that gave them that impression -- only rarely are the recording(s) in question even noted in such posts. Here is the aspect of sound reproduction (the original recording) that has *by far* the largest impact on sound quality, and people just breeze by it like it didn't exist. Maybe it's because it's also the aspect over which people have the least control.

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Headroom are too opinionated for their own good. If you can't recommend something or you give it a tepid rating, why are you selling it?

Because people will still buy them according to their own wishes regardless. It's actually a little refreshing that a site would actually weakly recommend something they are selling if they don't think it's a good value. I mean they do have a no questions asked money back policy so I'd imagine that they'd want to give you fair warning.

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #29 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells

Really fine resolving phones like the Etymotic 4S and Sony SA5000 will reveal problems with low cost sources and amps - but with good sources and amps will bring out inner detail and timbral nuances without congesting complex passages.

I have to agree. After listening on my home CD player, I'd have to say the Etymotic 4S are simply amazing. The Grados on the other hand have a hard time keeping up. However mine are still breaking in and they seem to be getting better. I am still in the process of determining if I want to keep them.

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #30 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
IMO, poor recordings are both more common and a worse problem than low cost sources/amps (most of which are at least decent these days).

P.S. I feel that the issue with poor recordings is generally underrated and neglected around here.

Ditto, and ditto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back