Who was your local horror movie host?
Aug 4, 2002 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

arnett

Consigliere
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/3257/

Some of the younger guys are saying, “what the hell is a horror movie host?” Back before the days of infomercials, local stations had to fill up airtime with something. Usually, it was Brady Bunch reruns and the like. But most markets had a cheesy late-night horror movie host who played really bad B-movies from the 50s and 60s. Growing up in the early 80s, I used to love watching these guys.
tongue.gif

I was in the fortunate position of having access to two horror movie hosts growing up in north central Indiana. I could watch Sammy Terry Friday nights on WTTV 4 from Indy, and Son of Svengoolie on WFLD 32 Chicago on Saturday afternoons. In fact, I used to love the Son of Svengoolie. All those jokes about Berwyn.
biggrin.gif

I thought it might be fun for some of you to take a trip down memory lane and remember your local horror movie host (. . . then again, maybe not
biggrin.gif
).
These guys were so cheesy. But you can’t help but to love ‘em. Too bad they're now extinct.

check out the link above.

Aug 4, 2002 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 11
Bill Camfield on Saturday nights as Nightmare's "Gorgon" :

gorgon.jpg

Who was also Icky Twerp weekdays on Slam Bang Theatre (cartoons and Three Stooges):

icky.jpg

On KTVT Channel 11 (Ft. Worth, Texas) from the late 50's until the early 70's.

biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Hmm, were these people that sort of introduced each movie at the beginning, and then made odd comments at the commercials, etc?

Yeah, comments, little skits, and corny jokes!

Of course, Elvira (Mistress of the Dark) is the most famous of these. She took it to another level, went nationwide, and ultimately became a cult "star"!

cool.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Odd but cool topic, arnett!

that's me . . odd but cool.
biggrin.gif
hehehe. glad you like it, Jude.

i wanted to post this for a long time but i didn't know how it would go over. these guys are like a piece of Americana that no longer exists. damn those infomercials!

Quote:

Elvira (Mistress of the Dark) is the most famous of these.

the younger guys might remember JOE BOB BRIGGS on TNT. but he was nothing like the real horror movie hosts.

i'm surprised that no one from Chicago has posted about Son of Svengoolie. he was kinda like groucho marx. he would hit everyone over the head with a rubber chicken as part of his shtick. SOOOO cheesy.
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 11
Anyone interested in this topic MUST watch some old Second City TV tapes.
"Monster Chiller Horror Theatre". "Oowwwwwooooooo; that was scaaarry boys and girls!". Sometimes he was assisted by Igor. Films were either horror spoofs like "Dr. Tung's 3-D House of Stewardesses", or things that weren't scary at all, like a Bergman film (spoof).

I watched some Elvira (my kid brother ran her TV fan club for a couple of years) in LA and Svenghoulie in Chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back