Who Want's a Dog?
Oct 30, 2002 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Just got home. Went in the bedroom to grab my iPod and Ety 4P's. Found them on the floor with the white earpieces missing. Looking closer, I found that our puppy had chewed the tube that holds the filter was gone. At least he didn't eat the iPod. I emailed Etymotic for repair/replacement suggestions.
mad.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 36
This is becoming an all to common occurence amongst dog owners.

I'm not a dog person myself, but I guess they like to chew on things that smell like you?...and somehow this is construed as a sign of affection?

Did you e-mail Etymotic for repair/replacement for the Ety's or the dog!?

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

I emailed Etymotic for repair/replacement suggestions.

...repair/replacement of the puppy?
biggrin.gif

Seriously, sorry to hear your ety 4p was damaged. Guess you'll find out how good is ety's customer service. From what I can gather, they are very customer friendly. So you should be in good shape.

Update us when you get more info from ety.

Good luck.

Oct 30, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 36
hehe, are you serious ltucci? what does your dog prefer, the bright presentation of the grados or the laid-back style of the sennheisers?
tongue.gif

i've recently been really wanting a puppy of my own (once i finish my undergraduate career and have a place that will allow pets). this throws an interesting wrench into it. guess i'll have to be dilligent about keeping my headphones away from the doggy.

Oct 30, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 36
Sorry to hear about the Etys, Lex........but if it makes you feel any better, your puppy has a long way to go before equaling the destruction perpetrated by my canine companion. Here's a list:
1 pair Etymotic ER4S.......damaged beyond recognition
1 pair Etymotic 4P.........damaged beyond recognition
1 pair Sony MDR-E888 buds...........totally destroyed
1 pair Stax SRM-001 MKII.............also totally destroyed
And a few other cheaper earbuds chewed into oblivion.
I think there is a tie-in here..........all the headphones in question are in the ear types, not on the ear.
Just remember......they're only headphones and they can be replaced. Your dog is part of your family.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 36
I have three dogs and none have shown any need to chew headphones. Lucky, I guess.
Quote:

Just remember......they're only headphones and they can be replaced. Your dog is part of your family.

No truer words spokened.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 36
Jeez,,,the second i read ipod i thought it attempted to eat it
eek.gif

Well, hopefully you'll start keeping your equipment in a drawer or locked away from your dog.

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 36
We gave our dog her own toys. She has a basket of toys next to the front door. Those are the only things she chews on. I think she got a small shock when she was a wee lass biting into an electrical cord and has never touched any kind of cord since.

Sorry about your Ety's. Please post on the response from Etymotic, I am interested too.

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #12 of 36
Yeah. Pete has a basket full of toys too. He has never chewed anything like this before. My wife says he has good taste. I guess he got pissed using those Sony earbuds I gave him. Using the Groado SR60's now with the iPod. Great sound minimal isolation.

Oct 30, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought it was the other way around?
biggrin.gif

Just kidding...I have two canine members of the family here, although I've never given them the opportunity to chew on any of my headphones.

Oct 30, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #14 of 36
All this headphone mangling is unfortunate.

On the other hand, at least it's only the dog.

When family members start chewing on your audio gear, then
it's time to worry.

biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #15 of 36
Is your dog under a year and a half? If so, he's probably just in that puppy "teething" stage that every dog runs through.

When our Pomeranian was a puppy he chewed EVERYTHING! You should see the rocker on one of our living room chairs!

Two things helped get this behavior under control. Giving him his own toys (a fuzzy red bone squeaky-toy is his favorite), and TIME! No longer a puppy, his chewing impulse is under control. But when he does feel the urge to chew, he turns to one of his MANY toys!

So...how old is your dog, and does he have his own toys? ALL DOGS chew when they're young, and need tons of supervision. Don't give him access to your valuables during this period. Give him plenty of loving supervision, firm but gentle correction, and HIS OWN TOYS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back