Who uses Crossfeed?
Mar 10, 2006 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Who here uses Crossfeed? What does it sound like? Does it really give a more realistic sound? I know everything in this hobby is subjective, but I want to know what crossfeed sounds like. For those of you who liked it, why? For those of you that didn't why?

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 100
Expands the soundstage.

Muddies (blurs) the tones, reducing precise encapsulated sound imaging and location in the soundstage.

I hate it because I want to hear a sharply delineated sound image, focused in a precise spatial location in the soundstage.

Most people can't hear the difference beyond the "Gee Whiz" effect of crossfeed. They love this effect.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 100
Well, just based on these two replys, I think I'll pass on the crossfeed. Thanks.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread
Well, just based on these two replys, I think I'll pass on the crossfeed. Thanks.

You shouldn't do any decisions based on a two replies.

Just try out the software based crossfeed. It doesn't cost you anything. I use crossfeed mainly because it reduces fatigue when listening to music for long periods.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 100
link to said software crossfeed?

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 100
Winamp has a few crossfeed plugins you can try.

Foobar also has crossfeed.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 100
Well, I am not the day and night experience type of person and crossfed for me is hardly noticeble in modern good recordings. However listening to old recordings on my headphones I find crossfed very useful because it makes disappear the very unpleasant feeling of lack of balance you get by hearing things completely splitted up in your head. In other situations I can do without it perfectly well. I would say it is a nice feature to go for in a headamp if possible.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 100
Since foobar has a crossfeed plugin, there is no need for me to try to put crossfeed into my already complicated M3 preamp.

Does anyone have a link to the foobar crossfeed plugin?

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 100
Quote:

Since foobar has a crossfeed plugin, there is no need for me to try to put crossfeed into my already complicated M3 preamp.

Does anyone have a link to the foobar crossfeed plugin?

Google is very convenient. Have you ever tried it?

http://www.foobar2000.org/foobar2000_0.8.3_special.exe

Just download that foobar2000 special pack and install it. There's crossfeed included.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 100
The adjustable headplug plugin for winamp is way better than foobar's crossfeed.
I'm using crossfeed most of the time. My AKG K1000s have built-in natural crossfeed.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Most people can't hear the difference beyond the "Gee Whiz" effect of crossfeed. They love this effect.

rolleyes.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #13 of 100
At work, I listen to music between 5 and 10 hours a day. I find crossfeed to be invaluable for longer listening sessions, as it (for whatever reason) reduces significantly my listening fatigue. I would also note that the further up the equipment chain I go, the less I feel like I need it.

Of course, there are some recordings where it's simply priceless...

<<== For example...
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #14 of 100
Most crossfeed's are not good enough so that you cant do without them.Dolby Headphone on the other hand.....even though screws the treble and the details manages to sound more like speakers......

Mar 10, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 100
Quote:

Don't. A couple of posts of people that managed to post first is not representative.

It's a tool, it's useful to have on certain recordings. Sometimes you want it, sometimes you don't. On older recordings, it's a must have

I can't live without it personally. If you search this forum, there are lots of posts of people (that are experienced head-fiers) that feel the same (love it and don't want to buy an amp without it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back