Who streams internet radio at work?
Nov 1, 2008 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
I just started a new job. I love to stream music into my office during the day ... ambient stuff ... Soma fm ... Hearts of space.com .... etc etc. The thing I like about the streaming is having access to so much random stuff ... you never know what's coming ... the variety, etc

Well, I found out that the network dudes really frown upon streaming, which is not a BIG surprise, but I'm worried about it

Aside from loading up an iPod with a ton of stuff or loading mp3's which are obvious workarounds, how do other people deal with this issue?

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 22
i have an internet radio which i host myself.
sometimes i do live mix..othertimes its a playlist

what kind of music do u listen?

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Who streams internet radio at work?

Not me, because it's blocked. XM, AOL Radio, Rhapsody, etc. Even access to the websites of most of the local over-the-air radio stations are blocked.

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 22
I get around it with my iPhone. My favorite station (KPCC in Los Angeles, 89.3 FM) has an app that streams the station. Works fine, and I'm really getting attached to that iPhone.

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 22
I stream di.fm all day long, with no complains so far.
With a 1Gbps connection to the outside world they probably don't care...

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 22
I work in IT and streaming live media can become a big issue, as the line/wan connection to the internet and probably other sites etc. is more or less the same line/connection you use at home... Depending on the line you might end up with other workmates reporting slow response times of remote systems to IT...

But if it is not forbidden, who cares
smily_headphones1.gif
But keep in mind that even if they don't admit it they will always have ways to figure out who is streaming.

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get around it with my iPhone. My favorite station (KPCC in Los Angeles, 89.3 FM) has an app that streams the station. Works fine, and I'm really getting attached to that iPhone.

Yeah, I was wondering if anybody used other devices to get a streaming signal. Are you on AT&T? Do you pay for a data plan? How much is it?

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 22
I stream Pandora pretty much all day long. I am on a university connection so there is no bandwidth issues at all.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 22
My company is against streaming, but I do stream on my phone when I am in the mood. It is funny because I can't pick up AM radio in my office, so I have to turn on my phone and stream it with Kinoma. I also had my XM radio out of commision for a while and I used my Slingbox application to connect to my phone and get XM radio off of my Directv box. I would like to access Pandora with my phone (Treo 755p), but the last time I checked it wasn't possible.

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #13 of 22
I help manage the largest digital audio collection on the planet. I can access any of it from my desk at XM. To give you an idea of the size, we've got 149 different versions of Oye Como Va.

I think we've got close to 12 petabytes right now, and that's expanding daily.

So no. I don't stream audio at work.

Nov 4, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 22
Why would your IT boys frown upon streaming? Is it the use of bandwidth? No problem in my world (but we are so slow, it can be painful). I often listen to the BBC world service and BBC1 at work via internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back