Who still has the Sony SA5000?
Feb 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #482 of 652
Quote:

What amp have you used to power them?

at the moment - my current setup is onkoy dv-sp 402e-> onkyo tx-sr501-> SA-5k .. its nothing great really and the synergy is not the best either .. 

also the other being - laptop->fiio E7-> SA-5k...

will be trying the Maverick audio tube magic A1 within some more time .. 

eitherway these provide the most detailed sound I have heard out of anything that has had the chance to sit on my head/get into my ears .. sometimes the detailing is over-whelming and i feel like i just got some kind brain-freeze from excessive sugar consumption(?)..

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #483 of 652
Quote:

at the moment - my current setup is onkoy dv-sp 402e-> onkyo tx-sr501-> SA-5k .. its nothing great really and the synergy is not the best either .. 

also the other being - laptop->fiio E7-> SA-5k...

will be trying the Maverick audio tube magic A1 within some more time .. 

Have you seen the new Nuforce UDH-100 amp. From the specs, it seems like it would be a good match for these.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #484 of 652
Quote:
Have you seen the new Nuforce UDH-100 amp. From the specs, it seems like it would be a good match for these.

Looks pretty nice .. might give it a try later.. but I am looking for a used FIIO E9 at the moment .. with the E7 it might be a good deal for the sony and the DT-990 PRO..

What a fool am I, I was just using the amp section of the FIIO e7 with the sony that is laptop headphone out to FIIO line-in to SA-5k - the sound even though detailed was not energetic - extremely cold and distant .. like a veil..
and now I've discovered the powerful DAC inside the E7 and its pretty amazing with the SA-5k! the veil is completely removed ..and the sound is much more bright and delicious. Oh the bass on these are just so amazingly clear- with a bling bling! .. The song  futile devices by sufjan stevens - mixed by shigeto is a testament to the bass definition and clarity..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNu1imKFR0

The Maverick Audio Tube- Magic A1 just really kicked up the dynamics and the overall sound of the SA-5k! the synergy was good and the overall sound was spectacular especially for metal(like necrophagist). The mids were in its 'place' and not overly done like how my receiver used to screw with it..making it shouty and sometimes annoying..

Feb 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #485 of 652
Quote:

Looks pretty nice .. might give it a try later.. but I am looking for a used FIIO E9 at the moment .. with the E7 it might be a good deal for the sony and the DT-990 PRO..

What a fool am I, I was just using the amp section of the FIIO e7 with the sony that is laptop headphone out to FIIO line-in to SA-5k - the sound even though detailed was not energetic - extremely cold and distant .. like a veil..
and now I've discovered the powerful DAC inside the E7 and its pretty amazing with the SA-5k! the veil is completely removed ..and the sound is much more bright and delicious. Oh the bass on these are just so amazingly clear- with a bling bling! .. The song  futile devices by sufjan stevens - mixed by shigeto is a testament to the bass definition and clarity..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNu1imKFR0

The Maverick Audio Tube- Magic A1 just really kicked up the dynamics and the overall sound of the SA-5k! the synergy was good and the overall sound was spectacular especially for metal(like necrophagist). The mids were in its 'place' and not overly done like how my receiver used to screw with it..making it shouty and sometimes annoying..

Very nice. By the way how long did it take to do the the re-cable?

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #486 of 652
Quote:
Very nice. By the way how long did it take to do the the re-cable?

I got it recabled from another user. 7N occ copper from viablue audio i believe.

Eitherway I just wanted to ask you guys, ..

this above is the standard trs, but for my SA-5k, the tip is connected to the right speaker and not the left and the ring to the left speaker. Hence my stereo is reversed probably via recabling. But I wanted to confirm this was not one of the trade tricks of Sony to be even more weird in their engineering  and is actually a problem with my SA-5k particularly. My usual playlist is imaged reversely now.. but still with pinpoint accuracy - 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #488 of 652
Quote:

I got it recabled from another user. 7N occ copper from viablue audio i believe.

Eitherway I just wanted to ask you guys, 

this above is the standard trs, but for my SA-5k, the tip is connected to the right speaker and not the left and the ring to the left speaker. Hence my stereo is reversed probably via recabling. But I wanted to confirm this was not one of the trade tricks of Sony to be even more weird in their engineering  and is actually a problem with my SA-5k particularly. My usual playlist is imaged reversely now.. but still with pinpoint accuracy - 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
No, Sony followed conventional TRS wiring for the stock SA5k. Sounds like your recable job was done improperly.
ph34r.gif

obobskivich is correct here. If you are handy with a soldering iron you could switch the wires at the TRS connector. :)

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #489 of 652
someone please help. i have a pair of sa5000 headphones. because of my stupidity, i knocked my headphones over the table onto the floor and now, the right ear side cuts in and out everytime i wiggle the cable on the right side. hopefully i didnt damage the driver and i can resolder the cable

if anyone know how to take it apart and what to do, please respond.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #490 of 652
Quote:
someone please help. i have a pair of sa5000 headphones. because of my stupidity, i knocked my headphones over the table onto the floor and now, the right ear side cuts in and out everytime i wiggle the cable on the right side. hopefully i didnt damage the driver and i can resolder the cable

if anyone know how to take it apart and what to do, please respond.

Hey! 

Welcome to the forums stranger! 

It honestly sounds like just the cable is loose at some point. Where are you wiggling the cable? The right side near the cup or near the "Y split"? You can remove the pad and use a tiny phillips screwdriver to take off the cup. There are 4 screws on the cup to remove and the two sides of the cup just fall separated. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #491 of 652
i can make the sound cut in and out right where the cable go into the right earphone.

i checked the rest of the cable and its fine. always stored it in a case when i done use it.

im looking inside and lifting the pad but i cant see any screws.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #493 of 652
The pads hook over a small piece of plastic. Pull the edge of the pads out. 

Sounds like the connection is loose inside. You can see some more pictures down below at this link. Might help you understand what's inside a bit more! 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582696/who-still-has-the-sony-sa5000/225#post_8312432

Users who are viewing this thread

Back