Who should pick up the tab on a date?
Nov 2, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #16 of 118
I think it depends of the woman for me. Some women are quite firm about things being equal, and I am cool with that, but there is no way I would let a woman pay for me. So it's man pays 100% of tab or Woman covers cost of drinks or 50/50 split and that's it.

Nov 2, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #17 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
naturally because I'm better than you. plus we all knew the answer to the other poll anyways
cool.gif

Better?

Seriously, are you still in high school? Oh, I see you actually are just out of high school.

Given that you feel the need to make your poll seem better by deriding another, and then you say because you're better, I think the arrogance of a few other members is rubbing off on you, or maybe there is something causing an over supply of testosterone around here.

If you already knew the answer to the other poll - good for you. You could simply ignore the thread. It was started in response to a matter in another thread - on a topic that was being debated. Given that 176 people have voted, it seems that at least some thought it a reasonable question. Are you better than all of them too?

I think you have a valid stand-alone question that is consistant with the theme of other current threads. I still don't get why you feel the need to put me down. Have I offended you?

Putting a smiley next to an arrogant comment does not negate the fact that it is an arrogant comment.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #21 of 118
This is a variable answer, I think. As far as dates are concerned, I do agree that the person who made the move should cover the costs, although I know myself and I'd probably insist I at least help with the bill.

In a relationship, splitting the bill is almost a necessity since it should (theoretically) be a regular occurance to go out and spend time together. But then shared finances or inequity between two incomes could make this impossible.

The only thing I can tell you is this: In my relationship, we split most of the time. But, for a proper date, both of us like to surprise one another from time to time with a nice night out and in that case, whomever does the wooing pays the bill.

Simple romance.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #23 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a much better topic than "should women ask men out" isn't it? Discuss.

Personally I would never date a girl that expects me to pay for every single date. I've got way too many hobbies and money pits already, and sadly, I think my money would be better spent on them rather than some of the girls I've met.

When I was 20 I felt the same way. Why spend all my money on some girl who is just as selfish and self-absorbed as me?
tongue.gif

Honestly, pay for the first date then split it afterwards. Chances are at your age you're in school with a part-time job, so money doesn't grow on trees for you.

I paid for the first date and my wife still remembers it to this day that I volunteered to pay with no complaints.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #24 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that he was being sarcastic.
evil_smiley.gif

Not having a go at you - you are probably right, but it might have been a little clearer if he had said that when I first posted about it rather than simply tossing more sarcasm my way.

It's hard enough to tell whether teenagers are being sarcastic or rude in real life. On a forum it can be damn near impossible.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #25 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think us guys should pay for the meal, especially if you want to go back for coffee later
wink.gif

I can't drink coffee late at night, it keeps me up.

Nov 2, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #27 of 118
I'm not a fan of splitting it.

I prefer that one of us pays, and that we take turns roughly equally. If I buy a dinner at a nice place, she will pay the tip, and she will buy dessert. Or for take-out, whoever goes to pick it up will pay. But two weeks ago my wallet got stolen, and it was a week before I was able to get a new debit card sent to my parents' house so that I could get cash, and all week she paid for both of us. And gave me money for a bus ticket to go home and visit my parents.

Of course, we're both in school, so about half our meals are in the cafeteria, where we both use meal plans.

It's kinda an inconvenience to always split the bill and pay separately, so I pay it because I know next time, she will pay for me.

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #28 of 118
When the first date occurs, the one who asks pays. After that..well, I have actually never split the bill. The calculating stuff is enoying imo. It's just like one time I pay the bill and the next my bf pays. And so it goes on quite equally. And when I do ask him out for dinner I just pay the bill. No splitting. We also allow eachother to pay in "goodies"
biggrin.gif
:
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #29 of 118
Just to pipe in from a different perspective, I think that the tab should be split in an ideal world. I prefer that the guy offer to pay, but I'll always interject and offer to split. If he lets me, I'll pay my half. If he's adamant, I'll let him pay. The gesture of the man offering to pay is still very much appreciated even though I won't take him up on it.

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #30 of 118
I've never actually been on a date. The one time a girl did ask me out, I expected to pay. Sadly, she canceled due to a supposed fear of "thunder".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back