Who prefers O2 over HE90/HE60 or vice versa and why?
Feb 3, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #91 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its nice to see that yours were covered under warranty and returned within a few days. An added bonus to you is that they now have more bass.

1. What else was wrong with them besides the lack of bass?
2. What did Sennheiser replace/upgrade?
3. How old are your HE90s?
4. Can you extend the warranty; for how long & how much?

Off topic but have you received your Lavry, if so have you tried the HD650 balanced?

Feb 3, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #92 of 102
OT -- J-Pak - Yes. The Lavry DA-10 arrived a couple of days ago; however, I've only spent about 2-4 hours listening to it.

My music selection is CD converted to Apple lossless:

Louis Armstrong - Gold (various tracks)
Diana Krall - The Look of Love (various tracks).

Headphone:

HD 650 (single ended)

So far I've tried it with the stock PC and an Arista Enterprises (generic) optical cable, via my iMac G5. As of right now, I'm listening to the DA-10 through an inexpensive Monster optical cable and a Zebra PC. Other than a lot more detail, nothing more to conclude to thusfar...just trying different combinations until my "audiophile" grade products arrive.

How's your review going?

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #93 of 102
Quote:

OT -- J-Pak - Yes. The Lavry DA-10 arrived a couple of days ago; however, I've only spent about 2-4 hours listening to it.

My music selection is CD converted to Apple lossless:

Louis Armstrong - Gold (various tracks)
Diana Krall - The Look of Love (various tracks).

Headphone:

HD 650 (single ended)

So far I've tried it with the stock PC and an Arista Enterprises (generic) optical cable, via my iMac G5. As of right now, I'm listening to the DA-10 through an inexpensive Monster optical cable and a Zebra PC. Other than a lot more detail, nothing more to conclude to thusfar...just trying different combinations until my "audiophile" grade products arrive.

How's your review going?

I've had my spare cable for a few weeks now, but my XLR connectors only came a few days ago. So I just need to reterminate the cable and listen (fortunately not a busy time for myself right now).

Your profile also says you have a Stax Omega 2, I'd be very interested in a comparison between the balanced HD650 and Omega 2.

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #94 of 102
Quote:

Its nice to see that yours were covered under warranty and returned within a few days. An added bonus to you is that they now have more bass.

1. What else was wrong with them besides the lack of bass?
2. What did Sennheiser replace/upgrade?
3. How old are your HE90s?
4. Can you extend the warranty; for how long & how much?

I didn't get it back in a few days. It actually took about 6 months.
1. Nothing else was wrong; i.e, only insufficient bass.
2. Take a look at my posting number 213 at the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...88#post2674888
3. It was part of the group of 18 HE90s bought from Jan Meier during 12/06.
4. Every new HE90 has a 5 year warranty by Sennheiser.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #95 of 102
Right...I have the OII
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
, but the KGSS is still being made.
As soon as I have all of the necessary components, I will portray my thoughts.
Also, my plan is to "maybe" buy a dedicated balanced amplifier. However, that depends on how the HD 650s sound balanced out the back of the Lavry.

Note to self: Update your profile!

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #96 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't get it back in a few days. It actually took about 6 months.
1. Nothing else was wrong; i.e, only insufficient bass.
2. Take a look at my posting number 213 at the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...88#post2674888
3. It was part of the group of 18 HE90s bought from Jan Meier during 12/06.
4. Every new HE90 has a 5 year warranty by Sennheiser.

eek.gif
all that for lack of bass! I'm sure it's probably common knowledge amongst more seasoned head-fiers, but I wonder if it was only your pair that displayed those qualities. As well, I reckon you compared your HE90 to a similar pair conclude that they lacked bass? In summary apparently the Sennhiser scientist must have reached conclusions (lack of bass) similar to yours. All said and done, its good to hear that you are enjoying your "new" pair er innards and have had thusfar a story book ending.

By the way, that South Fo Lo meet looked like it was lots of fun, wish I couldv'e attended.

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #97 of 102
Quote:

eek.gif
all that for lack of bass! I'm sure it's probably common knowledge amongst more seasoned head-fiers, but I wonder if it was only your pair that displayed those qualities. As well, I reckon you compared your HE90 to a similar pair conclude that they lacked bass? In summary apparently the Sennhiser scientist must have reached conclusions (lack of bass) similar to yours. All said and done, its good to hear that you are enjoying your "new" pair er innards and have had thusfar a story book ending.

By the way, that South Fo Lo meet looked like it was lots of fun, wish I couldv'e attended.

I compared mine to Guss2's HE90, at a South Florida meet. It was obvious that mine lacked bass, in comparison to his. I'm glad that Sennheiser's tech experts agreed, and corrected the problem. They are really a great company.

Feb 4, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #98 of 102
I'm really interested to hear these new batch HE90's. I have the old HE90's and I don't see them as lacking bass at all! The O2 has a different kind of bass, and it has more of it I guess, but the HE90's sound so open and effortless in the lower register. Also, my pair is quite warm (I don't consider the HE90's to be neutral at all). But cold and sterile are qualities I used to get when my source, cabling and power just wasn't up to snuff.

I do like the O2's a lot though. The HE90's can be a bit... less forgiving of poorly recorded upper midrange and treble material. But for me, this amounts to a pretty small portion of my CD's.

Neil

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #99 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared mine to Guss2's HE90, at a South Florida meet. It was obvious that mine lacked bass, in comparison to his. I'm glad that Sennheiser's tech experts agreed, and corrected the problem. They are really a great company.

No doubt; Sennheiser's top notch!
It's nice to hear that they take care of the little guys!
My thing is that I wanted to know the conditions that led to you comming to your rightful conclusion. And like Neil above, I wonder what if anything is the difference between the old and NOS. Also, I was wondering if there were other bass-lights in that batch of 18 or elsewhere, etcetera, etcetera...
No worries, I'm searching through the head-fi archives...
Thanks for sharing your story.

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #101 of 102
Spritzer, were yours from the new batch?
There may be need need for a Bass-light HE90 owner serial# thread.
If the He90 is from the new batch, I wonder how many returns would it take for Sennheiser to issue a recall to test the other units.
As it stands, there weren't that many made to begin with, but I'm sure it would be cheaper, for Sennheiser, to let the owners decide if they want to go through the six month hassle of getting them tested, rather than recalling existing pairs. Not that there's anything wrong with light bass versions of He90s. It's a matter of taste, some owners may like it with light bass, but on the flipside, they could have them sent in, to Sennheiser, to have the bass reduced.

Feb 4, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #102 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really interested to hear these new batch HE90's. I have the old HE90's and I don't see them as lacking bass at all! The O2 has a different kind of bass, and it has more of it I guess, but the HE90's sound so open and effortless in the lower register. Also, my pair is quite warm (I don't consider the HE90's to be neutral at all). But cold and sterile are qualities I used to get when my source, cabling and power just wasn't up to snuff.

I do like the O2's a lot though. The HE90's can be a bit... less forgiving of poorly recorded upper midrange and treble material. But for me, this amounts to a pretty small portion of my CD's.

Neil

These are exactly my observations in comparing the HE90 to the R10; i.e., substitute the R10 for the O2, in the first highlighted statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back