Who makes the best IEM, silicone ear-tips?
Mar 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got my Brainwavz M2's and the tips that came with them are not only warped and flimsy, but also have very narrow listening "canals" as compared to my Skullcandys and Creative EP-630's. I have already gotten another set of tips from the seller, and these are also warped! (they are bent out of shape and I worry they will not allow for a proper seal).

Are there better tips that i can buy elsewhere and, why is that canal so narrow?

The Skullcandy on the right seems to perfectly hold its shape while the M2's do not bounce back to their original shape if they are bent for a long period of time.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 20
My preference - Sony hybrids (real) - amazon usually around $8
Others may say - Sony hybrids (fake) - ebay usually pretty inexpensive

As for the hole size, I"m not an expert but from what I notice, usually bigger donut holes results in more treble, smaller holes more bass.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 20
Shure's silicone tips are excellent. Here's a good source. Been using them on my two pairs of DBA's for many months with no changes, deformation, etc. Don't worry so much about the size of the aperture. I think murano has a pretty good summation on the effect of aperture size.

Mar 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 20
I guess I should put down a vote for Monster gel suptertips.  Not as simple as what others make.  They're badass if they fit and the small bore is fine for the earphones they are being used with.  They contribute to a more overall refined sound with more bass detail and a little richness as well.

x2 Shure silicon tips, too

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
Shure's silicone tips are excellent. Here's a good source. Been using them on my two pairs of DBA's for many months with no changes, deformation, etc. Don't worry so much about the size of the aperture. I think murano has a pretty good summation on the effect of aperture size.

Would I be able to use the tri-flange shure tips with my M2's?

Also, any thoughts on the complies?

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 20
Do the Shure and Monster single flange silicone tips fit on the Senn IE8s?

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 20
Senn IE8's have a 5.5mm nozzle, while Monster uses a 5mm nozzle. I knew that because joker's compendium lists that dimension for each IEM. That means that Monster tips would probably stretch enough to fit.  Shure tips for the E2c model fit that nozzle size, but others would be too small.

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 20
I've been using IE8s for over 2.5 yrs now, almost every day. The small Comply foam sound best for my ears, but they are a HUGE pain to use: (un)install (from nozzle -- see below); replace (cost, hassle of ordering); as well as the pure hassle of molding-and-holding-in-to-expand. On top of that, I snapped off BOTH the IE8's nozzle twist-fitting the tight-ass Complys. (Not a lot folks know that IEx's nozzles are break-seal fitted. But unlike a soda-bottle cap, the Senn's setup is never really meant to be used -- I think it was sort of an engineering afterthought, given Senn's reputation of ever-modular replacement parts. IAC, once broken, you gotta be real careful whenever changing tips--the nozzle threads are coarse and very shallow, you can easily unscrew and lose the small nozzle end).
What to do?!
The best solution came 'free': the extra set of silicone (super-soft) tips that come with Teclast R8 ('free' dynamic IEMs included with T51 DAP purchase) is the best tip I've used for IE8. It is not as ultimately tight-sealing (in ear canal) as Comply. (they do snug the nozzle with firm rubber-elastic cohesion, which is great). But the long+tapered double-flange shape allow quick and relatively deep canal insertion, with decent seal (far better that any Senn stock tip).
Dunno what to compare them to (I really like the soft silicone they are made of; it's way softer than other silicones I've encountered, including the latest from EarSonics). Just a guess, but maybe Sensorcom (below -- I haven't tried these tho' as I don't think they -- or any Sensorcoms -- fit larger [dynamic IEM] nozzles) and the Teclast R8 tips are from same supplier? (they look very similar to the Sensorcoms, anyway...)

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 20
I nominate Klipsch oval eartips, they are really comfortable to my ears!

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 20
#1- Klipsch ovals: super comfortable, consistent fit and seal.
#2- Sony Hybrids: super comfortable (different 'feel' than Klipsch though), pretty consistent fit and seal, can usually mod to fit almost anything.
#3- Shure Olives: very comfortable, consistent fit and seal, don't get too moist (probably because they are foam so they breath a little bit and/or absorb), don't soak up high frequencies like Comply foamies.  They don't last as long as silicone tips (forever), but the price isn't bad and you just toss them every few months depending on how much you use them.

I actually bought and tried the Monster Super Tips kit (the one with one of each size and type of tip) and didn't like any of them.  They all seemed a bit too hard and non-compliant.  But everyone's ears are different so that is just my experience.

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 20
Depends on your ear and IEM nozzle shape.  I like the (real) Monster stock silicone single flanges and gel Supertips; for the UE nozzles I get the best combo of SQ, isolation, comfort, durability, and ease of use.  Also like Comply foams for comfort & isloation, but they fail one ease of use and durability.

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 20
#1- Klipsch ovals: super comfortable, consistent fit and seal.
#2- Sony Hybrids: super comfortable (different 'feel' than Klipsch though), pretty consistent fit and seal, can usually mod to fit almost anything.
#3- Shure Olives: very comfortable, consistent fit and seal, don't get too moist (probably because they are foam so they breath a little bit and/or absorb), don't soak up high frequencies like Comply foamies.  They don't last as long as silicone tips (forever), but the price isn't bad and you just toss them every few months depending on how much you use them.

I actually bought and tried the Monster Super Tips kit (the one with one of each size and type of tip) and didn't like any of them.  They all seemed a bit too hard and non-compliant.  But everyone's ears are different so that is just my experience.

Is the sound hole on the Klipsch tips small like the Westone/Shure grey flex sleeves or larger like the Sony hybrids?

Jun 11, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Is the sound hole on the Klipsch tips small like the Westone/Shure grey flex sleeves or larger like the Sony hybrids?

The Klipsch tip sound hole is tiny compared to the Hybrids (about the same size as the Westone silicone):

(L>R: Klipsch, Westone silicone, Hybrid (mod), Shure Olive, UE TF.  All medium size.)

I stuck the Hybrid onto a Comply core to fit the Westone 4s.  The Klipsch will fit the Westones, but you'll get minimal insertion depth.  Even though the Klipsch tip appears to be taller than the others, the core itself is short.  So when it's placed on the Klipsch it sort of acts as a shroud for part of the IEM body- if that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back