Who likes acoustic Guitar music
Mar 31, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Shurenuff
I'll have to check that out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Harmonica, acoustic guitar, Neil Young singing, all unplugged. It is simply a fabulous album, and now I will have to buy it again for myself after talking about it again.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
ever check out niel young's 'After the Gold Rush " ?

Rick,

Never heard of it? Does it have a lot of acoustic guitar and harmonica? If so, I bet I'll like it.

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #20 of 34
I second the Fahey suggestion for acoustic guitar. In addition, try Leo Kottke. His "Six & Twelve String Guitar" is a classic. Other favorites of mine include Ry Cooder (a true ethnomusicologist with great acoustic and electric work), Tony Rice, and Doc Watson. In the rustic acoustic blues vein, check out Mississippi John Hurt. For classical, widely recognized virtuosos include John Williams, Julian Bream, Andres Segovia and Christopher Parkening.

Apr 1, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #23 of 34
you guys like the band "Dispatch"? They are mostly acoustic rock. it's good stuff.

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #24 of 34
Wonderful acoustic music for Guitar (solo):

All in Twilight - Guitar Music from the 80's
and
4 Miles, 2 Davis - Guitar Music of the 90's
Both with Augustin Wiedemann, guitar (Arte Nova 74321589612 & 74321770742)

74321589612.jpg

74321770742.jpg

More flamenco style:
Paco de Lucia - Lucia (1998)
Cd24.gif

and - apart from the trio's SF-live-CD:
Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin & Paco de Lucía. The guitar trio
Cd23.jpg

Or - if one likes the "Chesky sound":
Badi Assad - Echoes of Brazil (or any other album from her on Chesky)
JD154.jpg

Apr 1, 2004 at 11:35 AM Post #25 of 34
More good stuff :

B000005HA9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Amazon.com
Many subtly varied kinds of music fall under the rubric of flamenco, which is a style of singing, dancing, and even living, as well as playing the guitar. This collection presents a good guitar selection, highlighted by the polished technique of Sabicas, the profundity of Manolo de Huelva, and the sheer brilliance of Melchor de Marchena. There is a drastic change of atmosphere in the transition from track 10 (a zapateado played by Nino Ricardo) to track 11: Manolo de Huelva accompanying the voice of Manuel Vallejo. Suddenly we are in a cuadro, the natural environment of flamenco, with a group of participants clapping, stamping their feet, and shouting encouragement to the musicians. No longer is it just a man sitting alone on a stage or in a studio, playing the guitar fluently and flawlessly; this is cante hondo, the heart of flamenco, intense and astringent, and the best of this disc's many flavors. --Joe McLellan"

B00005V0WV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

"Amazon.com
David Russell was born in Glasgow, Scotland, but his family moved to Spain while he was still a young boy so he could study music in the birthplace of classical guitar. On Reflections of Spain, Russell plays the music of his childhood home with all the joy you would expect from someone revisiting a beloved place. Russell's formidable technique is powered by a keen intelligence and tempered by an emotional delivery. He plays chestnuts like Tarrega's "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" and Albeinez's "Austurias" with a fond intimacy that rescues them from cliché. Perhaps the finest moments on the CD are Russell's guitar arrangements of four of Granados's compositions. Although Granados wrote pieces like "Danza Melancolia" and "Andaluza" for piano, Russell's thoughtful versions remind us that the folk dances that inspired them were originally accompanied by the guitar. David Russell is one the finest classical guitarists to emerge in recent years, and his playing on Reflections of Spain is a near perfect wedding of technique and temperament. --Michael Simmons"

I have the two above CDs, and I want this one, which I haven't gotten yet :

B00014X8AE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #27 of 34
I highly recommend Kaki King. She has a very unique style. I wish I could see her live someday.

Apr 9, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #28 of 34
Here are two CD's with one of my favourite acoustic guitarists. He lives here in Gothenburg, Sweden but is originally from Brazil.

Brasil, Brazil
BRASIL,_BRAZIL.gif

G u i t a r
GUITAR-CD.gif

http://www.guimallon.com/MMP-Myself%20Records.html

He has a beautiful version of "Stairway to heaven" and "Cavatina", not to mention "Here, there and everywhere" on the CD "Guitar".

Apr 12, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #29 of 34
another of my worthless attempt to promote unknown music:
of the wand & the and moon - nighttime nightrhyme

this is more of a acoustic with rhythm, but nevertheless one of my top 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back