Who is your favorite Tenor Sax of all time?
Aug 5, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #31 of 35
Anyone here familiar with Don Menza? Specifically, his solo on the track "Channel One Suite" on the Buddy Rich Big Band LP "Mercy, Mercy?"

... One of the greatest feats of "tenorsaxophonism" I've ever heard...

Circular breathing?

Absolutely incredible shiiit!

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #32 of 35
Michael Brecker is my favorite tenor player (followed closely by Coltrane). His phrasing and tone make his solos so solid. Not enough can be said about him, so I won't even try. If you haven't heard him, check out his stuff with Steps Ahead or if you are interested in something a bit more technical, try the song Delta City Blues. Octave jumps and harmonics aplenty!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoFiveOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here familiar with Don Menza? Specifically, his solo on the track "Channel One Suite" on the Buddy Rich Big Band LP "Mercy, Mercy?"

... One of the greatest feats of "tenorsaxophonism" I've ever heard...

Circular breathing?

Absolutely incredible shiiit!

Great song! Not one of my favorite sax players or solos, but man, that band can blow.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #33 of 35
I notice Don Byas doesn't have any votes.......when I was making the poll I was very seriously considering switching Byas with Dexter Gordon......but I chose Byas mainly because he's so unknown and so brilliant and I wanted get his name out there.......he is an amazing tenor from the Bird/Bud/Diz/Monk era.......never made it as big, mainly because he moved to Europe during his peak years. But really he's a major dude....and deserves to be heard as much as the others.

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #34 of 35
Its hard to choose one without leaving out many great players that have brought something special to the instrument. I have always admired Getz's playing and his smooth tone, so I might give him the nod.

Since we are name dropping, I would just add Zoot Sims to that list of greats. Joe Lovano, and Scott Hamilton are two of the "newer" beautiful sounding tenors to my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back