who is using rega planet cd?
Aug 22, 2002 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fyrfytrhoges

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm wondering who is using rega cd players. I am thinking of getting one myself and would like to know if people are happy with them or should I think about a different brand, my range for price should stay right around 1000.00 usd.

Aug 22, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 14
I will admit to never having been a fan of the "Rega sound" but the latest players,the Planet and Jupiter ,are way overrated.I do not hate them,but the praise heaped all over them seems more related to the name than anything else.I frequently visit a dealer friend in the area who sells Rega and he actually uses a Cambridge D-500SE in his main demo system.I think the Cambridge,the Arcam Cd72,the Musichall MMF-Cd25 or the NAD C541i are better values.I would attempt to audition any CDP before making a final purchase .I think it is fruitless to compare sonics but the differences are small and in minute details.The gap between the best modern CDP and the budget players is getting small,shop around and audition.

Aug 22, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 14
I have the original Planet. It's ok. In it's time it was outstanding. But I probably would not buy the new model. I would rather get a good deck and a DAC. Like others have said, some of the new cheap stuff is pretty good.

I have considered a DAC for the Rega I have, to bring it up to date, but it will have to wait it's turn in the budget world.

The Rega is a smooth laid back unit. It sounds fabulous with the right recordings. I would prefer something a little less laid back though.

Aug 22, 2002 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 14
DAC - Digital to Analog Converter

It takes the digital information (the 0's and the 1's) from the CDP and converts it to an analog signal. Your CDP is then used soley as the transport mechanism.

Aug 22, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 14
....what zzz said.

There are a bunch of standalone DACs on the market. Check out Audiogon, they have from the budget priced to the "you got to be kidding me" expensive. I currently use a Bel Canto DAC1 with my NAD C541i as a transport. The DAC1 can be had for around $500.00 as Bel Canto just came out with a DAC2 with 24/192 upsampling (the DAC1 is 24/96).

Aug 22, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 14
i have a planet 2000 and i like it a lot. i didn't audition a whole lot of players though and i would recommend doing so if you're going to spend that much. tuberoller mentioned a few that have been getting great reviews.

Aug 22, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Auditioning is a must. I use a Planet2000 in my second system, and prefered it to the Arcam, NAD, and Sony player is tested against it. There are lots of very fine players at this price point, and if youlook hard enough , you can find swooning review about each one.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 22, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

Same here...much more then the CD side of my Sony 555ES and Cambridge.

Ditto for me. But, I like the Rega sound. I have had Rega turntables since 1986. With the Rega I actually listen to and like the sound of CDs. I know there are much better players out there, but they are generally more money. I also got a good deal on a demo Rega Planet 2000.

Basically, you just need to find a player/system that gives you the sound you desire.

Aug 23, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #13 of 14
I have one, but it's busted right now. But I loved its sound. I don't know where the comments of lack of detail or anything come from, I thought it had a "just right" sound, not too dark, not to bright, nice solid bass, maybe a little laid back in the treble...sounds like I'm describing the DT770, and the analogy isn't that inaccurate...

Now I'm going to have to get it fixed, so that I can start using it again, so that I can start defending it legitimately. It really is a good player. IIRC, there was a story that Mr. Burr-Brown, the inventor of the chip in it, actually visited the factory, because he wanted to see what they were doing special that was making his chip sound so good.

I have the Pre2K model.

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 14
Dac/transport is the way to go. I have a modified sony transport with an Art DI/O DAC. I really couldn't ask for more from digital. Seriously...to beat this sound, you must pay well over 1000$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back