Who is the best : drummer in the world?
Apr 3, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 122
Danny Carey from Tool. This guy is insane. Check out Ticks & Leeches off their newest album, Lateralus. The intro is just awesome.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 122
I've always been a Ginger Baker fan (see my avatar) but Graham Lear in his Santana days could smoke too.

Check out Baker in Blind Faith's Do What You Like and Lear's performance on Santana's Moonflower album (especially the "Head, Hands & Feet" portion of Soul Sacrifice).

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 122
B]BUDDY RICH.[/B]

Next question!

Check out this site if you're curious about good drummers.
www.drummerworld.com

You can sample videos of a lot a the drummers on this site.
Have fun.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #6 of 122
Some great drummers off the top of my head:

Ginger Baker (Cream, etc.)
Dennis Chambers
Carter Beauford (DMB)
Dave Weckl (Chick Corea, solo)
Neil Peart
wink.gif
(Rush)
Martin Lopez (Opeth)
Art Blakey
Buddy Rich
Danny Carey (Tool)
Mike Mangini (Steve Vai)
Steve Gadd (solo, Steely Dan - listen to the song Aja for the love of God)
Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
Elvin Jones (Coltrane's band, etc.)
John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
Stewart Copeland (The Police, Oysterhead, etc.)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
Gene Krupa
Keith Moon (The Who)
Terry Bozzio
Carmine Appice
Steve Smith
Freddie Gruber
Ian Paice
EDIT: Almost forgot to add Jordan Burns of Strung Out (he's probably the most well-rounded and talented drummer in punk)

I can't choose a favorite since comparing different musical styles is futile. On an overall technical level, Dave Weckl or Dennis Chambers is probably the "best," but they wouldn't exist if Elvin Jones and Buddy Rich hadn't broken some ground. While Neil Peart is a great rock drummer, his lyrics impress me more than his percussion nowadays. Martin Lopez and Danny Carey are my choices for top rock drummers these days. Stewart Copeland's formidable hi-hat work and Steve Gadd's inventive playing also make them tough contenders. Mike Mangini is frighteningly ambidextrous and Carter Beauford is quite simply unbelievable at times. I'm sure there are plenty more amazing drummers that I neglected but I'm tired and hungry.
cool.gif

It's all about the groove and the pocket!
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 122
I think Billy Martin from MMW is a great drummer. I'm not as into them as I once was, but he knows how to play (real musical drummer).

Lately, though, I've been liking the classic old-school guys like Jim Keltner. He's great. Also I like Kenny Wolleson. And Paul Motian.

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 122
NeilPeart mentioned many of the same drummers that I would have mentioned, so I won't re-list them. I'll just add another:

Ronald Shannon Jackson -- try any of his LPs/CDs from his Decoding Society years, but particularly "Eye On You" and "Decode Yourself". These are epitomes of the improvisational "free funk"/jazz style.

His music is not for everybody. Some people think it's just noise. Maybe so, but it's good noise.

D.

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 122
We did this thread pretty recently.

It think it was widely agreed that the best pop drummer was Ginger Baker and the best in jazz was Elvin Jones.
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 122
Say what you will, Danny Carey is the man. Neil Peart is awesome, as is Mike Portnoy, but Carey beats 'em out, if you ask me. The way he manages to make an entire song with minimal cymbal work is what gets me. I love cymbals, but there's something to be said about a song make up almost entirely of the toms. Again, Ticks & Leeches is a perfect example.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 122
Without question, sleepkyng. I'm a huge Zappa fan (loved Mr. Black) and you are correct...Tony could never have been Tony without Art Blakey's influence...

I guess I'm just saying if I have to pick one, then it must be Tony. The guy could play any genre...and as I listen to some of that stuff with Herbie, Zawanul, Mclaughlin, etc., I (as a life long musician) can't help but say that Tony was the very best I've ever heard.

Just my humble opinion, man!

wink.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 122
Roger Hawkins on Aretha Franklin's 'Since You've Been Gone'.

Regards,

L.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back