Who here tried the Sennheiser Orpheus?
Jan 31, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #228 of 250
I did today. Supreme.

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #230 of 250
More than ten years on since the OP post.
The HE90 prices has sky rocketed. There a listing on ebay for 50k USD excluding delivery cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 563 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I still don't get is why Sennheiser can't simply produce more HE90s, given the obvious pent-up demand for them? Did they destroy all their tooling/machinery for making more? I don't see how it would dilute the "statement" value of the cans, given the price they might charge for them (in fact, anything over 2000 dollars would, IMHO, be statement plenty)...
Sennheiser did make a batch about 5 years ago with spare parts.
bigsmile_face.gif
about $5,000.00

For a laugh I called up Sennheiser Australia, telling them I need my headphone serviced.
They said what's the model. I told them HE90, they said are you sure? that a really old model no longer in production.
How did you get it, I said "with great difficulty" Anyway, do you still service them?
Yes "but you have to send them in for service, along with the amplifier that came with it."
I said I don't have the amp that came with it I have a custom amp for it.
Checking his system 15min later, Ok, are you sitting down? Me: Yes
We don't service them here in Australia, you have to send them to Germany head quarter.
To replace the faulty driver or drivers, they come in set of two and you can't get just one.
Ok, what will it cost me? $13300 USD just for the part. What about shipping and services?
Won't know that until they receive the headphone.
That's a bit risky to send something so expensive and not know what the cost is don't you think?
No comment from help desk guy. I'll check if anyone selling one for that price would be better off.

So everything about them has gone up. If you own one take out an insurance policy for them and wear gloves when handling them.
Could mean a few extra $K when you ready to let them go.

Jan 22, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #232 of 250
Spent a few hours with one. Still a headphone:)

Jan 23, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #233 of 250
Yes it still a headphone. But what set it apart from other phone is it is extremely expensive and getting rarer by the day. I doubt there is even 200 working sets world wide.

By the way, what did you think of them regarding the sound? Like, dislike?

Jan 23, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #234 of 250
Very much like....but I would rather have Magico, Wilson Audio, Sonus or another equal level speaker than a pair of headphone. There is just no comparison when you are at that level.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #237 of 250
Agreed... Headphones have their limitations on sounding "like you are there" due to the obvious limitations of headphone design
Headphones have limitations on sounding like you are there due to the limitations of 2 channel recording. Even a relatively poor sounding but well setup multi-channel setup will be MUCH more convincing in tricking your brain in terms spatial cues.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #238 of 250
More than ten years on since the OP post.
The HE90 prices has sky rocketed. There a listing on ebay for 50k USD excluding delivery cost.

For a laugh I called up Sennheiser Australia, telling them I need my headphone serviced.
They said what's the model. I told them HE90, they said are you sure? that a really old model no longer in production.
How did you get it, I said "with great difficulty" Anyway, do you still service them?
Yes "but you have to send them in for service, along with the amplifier that came with it."
I said I don't have the amp that came with it I have a custom amp for it.
Checking his system 15min later, Ok, are you sitting down? Me: Yes
We don't service them here in Australia, you have to send them to Germany head quarter.
To replace the faulty driver or drivers, they come in set of two and you can't get just one.
Ok, what will it cost me? $13300 USD just for the part. What about shipping and services?
Won't know that until they receive the headphone.
That's a bit risky to send something so expensive and not know what the cost is don't you think?
No comment from help desk guy. I'll check if anyone selling one for that price would be better off.

So everything about them has gone up. If you own one take out an insurance policy for them and wear gloves when handling them.
Could mean a few extra $K when you ready to let them go.
Yes I sold both my pairs years ago for this reason... not to mention that they can develop issues at any moment being so old and way out of their 'life expectancy' according to Sennheiser. But what a sound.... one of the few headphones where I still have a strong visceral memory of how they sounded, even after all these years.

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #240 of 250
In years of selling equipment I've only seen one pair on the secondary market for the Orpheus. 2 years ago a high end dealer in Miami had a mint condition set for $45,000 and they sold in a week. They aren't even the most expensive pair, the Focal Tournaire cost €110,000 if you get them with the optional €10,000 display stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back