Who has compared Beyer DT880 to Senn HD595?
Jul 2, 2005 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
Comments on these two headphones?

Both are about the same price, and both are more neutral than what I get with my Grado's.

Still trying to narrow down the choices before I take time to search out these headphones for an audition

Jul 2, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 14
Jul 2, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Comments on these two headphones?

Both are about the same price, and both are more neutral than what I get with my Grado's.

Still trying to narrow down the choices before I take time to search out these headphones for an audition

Hi

Well, I think it's quite puzzling. I find the HD595 midrange natural and harmonious. The DT880 is said to have very good freq. extremes, perhaps better than the HD595.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 14
I personally do not night and day difference between HD 595 and the SR-60 I owned. One has a more refined sound overall, the the Grado has more energy, speed and bass impact. Perhaps the Beyer will provide a different outlook, how to say...a fresher presentation?

Jul 3, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 14
Well, I've never actually heard an HD 595, but I do listen to the HD 555 and the DT 880 on a daily basis (with different amps, though; see my signature). The 555's mids are more forward, while the 880 is a bit dry in the mids. Of course, in every other way, there is just no contest: the 880 is has tighter bass which extends further down, and a bigger soundstage.

I've just joined Team DT 880 + tube amp myself; I think the mids do need a bit of help. My EarMax Pro (which I just received today) so far seems like an improvement over the Meier HA-2 I was using for the 880. I've not felt such a need for the HD 555.

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacundim
I've just joined Team DT 880 + tube amp myself; I think the mids do need a bit of help. My EarMax Pro (which I just received today) so far seems like an improvement over the Meier HA-2 I was using for the 880. I've not felt such a need for the HD 555.

It seems also from others headfiers around that the EarMax Pro + DT880 is a marvellous combo!

I hope one day to have a good amp as your.

bye
Andrea

Jul 3, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 14
The EarMax A.E: is another step UP to the pro version. But, yes, the combo with the DT 880 is simply marvelous, in my opinion better than HD 650 or Qualia 010. I have done a lot of test with the 3 cans (Qualia/HD 650 and DT 880) and if the Qualia is too mutch detailed (and lack of body specially in voices and natural instruments), to the opposite, the HD 650 is too mutch lush and body sound (for my tastes and for the signature sound of the little EarMax). The DT 880 goes just in the middle direction for a more equilibrated and natural sound, simply the best!

Best!
Nicola

Jul 9, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 14
Nik - In your opinion, how does the DT880 rank in comparison with the R10?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The EarMax A.E: is another step UP to the pro version. But, yes, the combo with the DT 880 is simply marvelous, in my opinion better than HD 650 or Qualia 010. I have done a lot of test with the 3 cans (Qualia/HD 650 and DT 880) and if the Qualia is too mutch detailed (and lack of body specially in voices and natural instruments), to the opposite, the HD 650 is too mutch lush and body sound (for my tastes and for the signature sound of the little EarMax). The DT 880 goes just in the middle direction for a more equilibrated and natural sound, simply the best!

Best!
Nicola

Jul 9, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik

Best!
Nicola

Hey Nik, Did you ever try the Qualia with the EMP A.E? How did you find it?

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Nik - In your opinion, how does the DT880 rank in comparison with the R10?

I think that the DT 880 is more neutral and simple to be matched with an amp. The bass of the Beyer is more controlled and the cans is not so "colored" as the R10 is. What I love a lot in the R10 is the medrange, in the DT 880 I love everithing, as I said, the combo DT 880/EarMax A.E. is one of the most natural and musical I ever had and listened...

Best!
Nicola

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Hey Nik, Did you ever try the Qualia with the EMP A.E? How did you find it?

Yes of course... but that synergi I found with the DT 880 goes out... I did not found the same synergi with the Qualia/RP010. (Thinking to naturalness and musicaliti of the sound).

Sometimes the simplest things do a better job... this is an important lesson for me.

Best!
Nicola

Jul 9, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 14
Thank you for this comparison. Would you also briefly compare the sound of the DT 880 to that of the Grado RS-1, and if possible to that of
smily_headphones1.gif
the AKG K1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I think that the DT 880 is more neutral and simple to be matched with an amp. The bass of the Beyer is more controlled and the cans is not so "colored" as the R10 is. What I love a lot in the R10 is the medrange, in the DT 880 I love everithing, as I said, the combo DT 880/EarMax A.E. is one of the most natural and musical I ever had and listened...

Best!
Nicola

Jul 9, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Thank you for this comparison. Would you also briefly compare the sound of the DT 880 to that of the Grado RS-1, and if possible to that of
smily_headphones1.gif
the AKG K1000.

I have compared the two cans, DT 880 and RS-1 yesterday, and WITH THE EarMax AE, the RS-1 is a bit more colored, still a good sound, but not the same as the DT 880. I'm really convinced that this combo is something very special.

The K 1000 I had two times, but some years ago, for the openess we all know how good this cans is, but lack in bass and (IMO) not the highest-finest resolution. The replacemets of the cable I think is a must for this headphones. A very good amp is request for the best performance of the K 1000.

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back