Who has compared Beyer DT880 to Senn HD595?
post-1458141
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 14

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
3,407
Reaction score
16
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Posts
3,407
Likes
16
Comments on these two headphones?

Both are about the same price, and both are more neutral than what I get with my Grado's.

Still trying to narrow down the choices before I take time to search out these headphones for an audition
 
     Share This Post       
post-1458151
Post #2 of 14

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
1,357
Reaction score
164
Location
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Location
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Posts
1,357
Likes
164
     Share This Post       
post-1458259
Post #3 of 14

Andrea

Banned - aka HeavySoul - aka inconnu - aka Albert - aka layman - aka joe_average - aka altglos - aka Mr boobi - aka mikesand - aka blindbuy - aka The Well - aka yummy-fi
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
4,891
Reaction score
11
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Posts
4,891
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Comments on these two headphones?

Both are about the same price, and both are more neutral than what I get with my Grado's.

Still trying to narrow down the choices before I take time to search out these headphones for an audition



Hi

Well, I think it's quite puzzling. I find the HD595 midrange natural and harmonious. The DT880 is said to have very good freq. extremes, perhaps better than the HD595.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1458741
Post #4 of 14

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
1,242
Reaction score
10
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Posts
1,242
Likes
10
I personally do not night and day difference between HD 595 and the SR-60 I owned. One has a more refined sound overall, the the Grado has more energy, speed and bass impact. Perhaps the Beyer will provide a different outlook, how to say...a fresher presentation?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1459057
Post #5 of 14

sacundim

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
147
Reaction score
10
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Posts
147
Likes
10
Well, I've never actually heard an HD 595, but I do listen to the HD 555 and the DT 880 on a daily basis (with different amps, though; see my signature). The 555's mids are more forward, while the 880 is a bit dry in the mids. Of course, in every other way, there is just no contest: the 880 is has tighter bass which extends further down, and a bigger soundstage.

I've just joined Team DT 880 + tube amp myself; I think the mids do need a bit of help. My EarMax Pro (which I just received today) so far seems like an improvement over the Meier HA-2 I was using for the 880. I've not felt such a need for the HD 555.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1459155
Post #6 of 14

amartignano

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Messages
1,357
Reaction score
164
Location
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Joined
Mar 12, 2002
Location
Italy - Knife Edge in other forums in the world
Posts
1,357
Likes
164
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacundim
I've just joined Team DT 880 + tube amp myself; I think the mids do need a bit of help. My EarMax Pro (which I just received today) so far seems like an improvement over the Meier HA-2 I was using for the 880. I've not felt such a need for the HD 555.


It seems also from others headfiers around that the EarMax Pro + DT880 is a marvellous combo!

I hope one day to have a good amp as your.

bye
Andrea
 
     Share This Post       
post-1459158
Post #7 of 14

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
44
Location
Italy (Turin)
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Location
Italy (Turin)
Posts
2,952
Likes
44
Age
59
The EarMax A.E: is another step UP to the pro version. But, yes, the combo with the DT 880 is simply marvelous, in my opinion better than HD 650 or Qualia 010. I have done a lot of test with the 3 cans (Qualia/HD 650 and DT 880) and if the Qualia is too mutch detailed (and lack of body specially in voices and natural instruments), to the opposite, the HD 650 is too mutch lush and body sound (for my tastes and for the signature sound of the little EarMax). The DT 880 goes just in the middle direction for a more equilibrated and natural sound, simply the best!

Best!
Nicola
 
     Share This Post       
post-1468966
Post #8 of 14

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 4, 2002
Messages
3,171
Reaction score
11
Joined
May 4, 2002
Posts
3,171
Likes
11
Nik - In your opinion, how does the DT880 rank in comparison with the R10?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The EarMax A.E: is another step UP to the pro version. But, yes, the combo with the DT 880 is simply marvelous, in my opinion better than HD 650 or Qualia 010. I have done a lot of test with the 3 cans (Qualia/HD 650 and DT 880) and if the Qualia is too mutch detailed (and lack of body specially in voices and natural instruments), to the opposite, the HD 650 is too mutch lush and body sound (for my tastes and for the signature sound of the little EarMax). The DT 880 goes just in the middle direction for a more equilibrated and natural sound, simply the best!

Best!
Nicola



 
     Share This Post       
post-1469017
Post #9 of 14

GoRedwings19

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
5,014
Reaction score
11
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Posts
5,014
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The EarMax A.E: is another step UP to the pro version. But, yes, the combo with the DT 880 is simply marvelous, in my opinion better than HD 650 or Qualia 010. I have done a lot of test with the 3 cans (Qualia/HD 650 and DT 880) and if the Qualia is too mutch detailed (and lack of body specially in voices and natural instruments), to the opposite, the HD 650 is too mutch lush and body sound (for my tastes and for the signature sound of the little EarMax). The DT 880 goes just in the middle direction for a more equilibrated and natural sound, simply the best!

Best!
Nicola



Hey Nik, Did you ever try the Qualia with the EMP A.E? How did you find it?
 
     Share This Post       
post-1469327
Post #10 of 14

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
44
Location
Italy (Turin)
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Location
Italy (Turin)
Posts
2,952
Likes
44
Age
59
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Nik - In your opinion, how does the DT880 rank in comparison with the R10?



I think that the DT 880 is more neutral and simple to be matched with an amp. The bass of the Beyer is more controlled and the cans is not so "colored" as the R10 is. What I love a lot in the R10 is the medrange, in the DT 880 I love everithing, as I said, the combo DT 880/EarMax A.E. is one of the most natural and musical I ever had and listened...

Best!
Nicola
 
     Share This Post       
post-1469330
Post #11 of 14

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
44
Location
Italy (Turin)
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Location
Italy (Turin)
Posts
2,952
Likes
44
Age
59
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Hey Nik, Did you ever try the Qualia with the EMP A.E? How did you find it?



Yes of course... but that synergi I found with the DT 880 goes out... I did not found the same synergi with the Qualia/RP010. (Thinking to naturalness and musicaliti of the sound).

Sometimes the simplest things do a better job... this is an important lesson for me.

Best!
Nicola
 
     Share This Post       
post-1469531
Post #12 of 14

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 4, 2002
Messages
3,171
Reaction score
11
Joined
May 4, 2002
Posts
3,171
Likes
11
Thank you for this comparison. Would you also briefly compare the sound of the DT 880 to that of the Grado RS-1, and if possible to that of
the AKG K1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I think that the DT 880 is more neutral and simple to be matched with an amp. The bass of the Beyer is more controlled and the cans is not so "colored" as the R10 is. What I love a lot in the R10 is the medrange, in the DT 880 I love everithing, as I said, the combo DT 880/EarMax A.E. is one of the most natural and musical I ever had and listened...

Best!
Nicola



 
     Share This Post       
post-1469546
Post #13 of 14

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
44
Location
Italy (Turin)
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Location
Italy (Turin)
Posts
2,952
Likes
44
Age
59
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Thank you for this comparison. Would you also briefly compare the sound of the DT 880 to that of the Grado RS-1, and if possible to that of
the AKG K1000.



I have compared the two cans, DT 880 and RS-1 yesterday, and WITH THE EarMax AE, the RS-1 is a bit more colored, still a good sound, but not the same as the DT 880. I'm really convinced that this combo is something very special.

The K 1000 I had two times, but some years ago, for the openess we all know how good this cans is, but lack in bass and (IMO) not the highest-finest resolution. The replacemets of the cable I think is a must for this headphones. A very good amp is request for the best performance of the K 1000.

Best!
Nicola
 
     Share This Post       
post-1469579
Post #14 of 14

3lusiv3

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
3,677
Reaction score
13
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Posts
3,677
Likes
13
Thanks for your thoughts Nik.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top