Who has an end game setup?
Dec 6, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #526 of 834
Source (Hi-rez preferably) > Stax DIY T2 > Sennheiser Orpheus or Stax SR-009.  The DIY T2 is blowing me away surpassing even the fantastic Headamp BHSE.

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #527 of 834
You borrowing a T2 or did you have one made?

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #528 of 834
You borrowing a T2 or did you have one made?

I bought it from a dear friend of mine who made two.  It is a revelation in term of sound especially with the SR009.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #529 of 834
Yes, I bought a pair of SR-007 MK1 and a Stax SRM-323 and while they sounded good, they also sounded 'off'. I moved to an HD800 setup that I hope is in the last stages once my GS-X arrives. While owning the HD800s I purchased the LCD-2 despite never really being impressed by them only to find them distasteful and returned them. Also owned a HE-6 from the first run and had comfort and soundstage issues with them. My amp was not ideal and I have heard them better since, but still have issues.

I hope to be done with the X-Sabre -> GS-X -> HD800, but am still interested in high end CIEMs as I think it is my final destination provided the technology can get there. They are already capable of untouchable soundstage and imaging, but lack in natural textures and treble clarity (armature tech needs improving, I suppose). I heard all the top models in 2011 and selected the UERM, but have not heard any of the recent models, and there have been several. High end DAC, simple but ultra clean amp, and a CIEM with SR-009-like clarity, HD800-like resolution, and UERM-like soundstage and imaging and I would be done.

I've sold all my Stax off- I had 3 sets of earspeakers and 4 energisers. I am settled with my HD800's, DacMagic + and Fidelity HPA2 SE Headphone Amp.
I hasten to say this does not make me an EndGamer yet. I have had the Headphone Amp and the HD800s for well over a year but the DM+ for only 6 months. This is the 2nd DM+ I've owned, the first one went back because the headphone out wasn't so good.
The electrostats were great but to my ears on all music the HD800s gave me more enjoyment.
The experiences of other en gamers here has (hopefully) inspired me and made me realise I don't seek any better sound than what I'm getting.
This is the situation at home although the portable stuff is another thing entirely, cdentering around comfort of fit , isolation etc.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #530 of 834
@prepoman if you do end up getting a Bhse with the 009 and I know you're more fanatic about ddac sources than anything else don't pair the bhse/009 combo with any sort of bright source. Personally I found it unlistenable, best yet I've heard dac wise is the AN (3 models) with the 009, very nice sounding. Second would be a few of my modded Philips and Marantz transports digital out to a Lector dac and a Audiomecha Enklanthus dac, very analogue sounding with emotion and detail better than what ess dacs can do.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #532 of 834
@prepoman if you do end up getting a Bhse with the 009 and I know you're more fanatic about ddac sources than anything else don't pair the bhse/009 combo with any sort of bright source. Personally I found it unlistenable, best yet I've heard dac wise is the AN (3 models) with the 009, very nice sounding. Second would be a few of my modded Philips and Marantz transports digital out to a Lector dac and a Audiomecha Enklanthus dac, very analogue sounding with emotion and detail better than what ess dacs can do.

Yeah - I've heard..  I know you like the Lampi.  I was looking at that pretty hard and was trying to find an affordable Audionote (not a kit) but decided to go with the AMR DP-777.  It's in the burn in process now that will take it into the new year.
eek.gif
  So we'll see then.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #533 of 834
  Source (Hi-rez preferably) > Stax DIY T2 > Sennheiser Orpheus or Stax SR-009.  The DIY T2 is blowing me away surpassing even the fantastic Headamp BHSE.

eek.gif
 - you got pics? Of the T2

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #535 of 834
Dec 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #536 of 834

Yeah - I've heard..  I know you like the Lampi.  I was looking at that pretty hard and was trying to find an affordable Audionote (not a kit) but decided to go with the AMR DP-777.  It's in the burn in process now that will take it into the new year.
eek.gif
  So we'll see then.

Yeah avoid the AN kit dac's there pretty crappy for the asking price despite even being in kit form, the retail made AN dac's are quite nice and I can now understand the rave about them since I'm in shopping for a dac nowadays for my speakers. Nothing concrete yet, are you planning to upgrade the DAC again? I've been looking very hard and considering the MSB Analog DAC which I think should be up your alleyway sometime sooner or later, I only know of one other person here where I am with the Analog and the 009's and reported it to be sounding very good.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #538 of 834
Why

Why no ess love, you old drunken bum.

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #539 of 834
Why
Why no ess love, you old drunken bum.

Let's just say I'm an old TDA1543 and 1541A fan, in a well regarded and ground circuit design these analog sounding chips are hard to beat, sure they can't pull ethereal detail retrieval ess sabre chips can or give off that airy presentation but they provide emotion, body and depth to the musical layering most thin and bland sounding ess dac's sound can't. Not saying ess dac's are crap no way hosay! The Buffalo is a good kit and recently the Audionote four figure dac's I've played around have provided some of the best sound I've ever heard. TDA1543/41, BB PCM56P/58 and 61P NOS'd are all great sounding old school DAC chips, some of the well regarded Cirrus Logic chips are quite good too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back