Who goes to a place of worship?
Jun 28, 2002 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Alright, lets keep this civil boys and girls.

No flaming and no "my religion is better than yours" crap. I just want to have a lively, humorous discussion regarding why you go and why you don't.

Ok, regarding myself:

As far as i can remember, i hated church. I'm Greek-Orthodox, mind you, and the sight of this ghastly old man standing over six feet tall dressed in black didn't exactly turn me on to religion. Of course there were many other considerations that took place:

1. I would miss out on my sunday morning cartoons, a big no-no for any kid

2. No friends allowed, i didn't get along with any other greek kids

3. No portable videogames allowed, this is before gameboy, so my trusty popeye mini arcade had to stay home

4. My dad would drag us to freaking Astoria, Queens...god i hate that place...no videogames or tv...what a nightmare!

5. No walkman....final straw!

So, when my dad&mom would drag my Brother, Sister and Myself to church, i decided to let my true personality come forth. I would make constant fun of the priest by babbling back his "sermons." I would pluck hairs out of my head and burn them with the candle. I would constantly talk and make fun of the other priests and screw up the whole cross thing, for christian orthodox, its up, down, right, left. For the rest of them, its the Konami way (ya know, physically making the points of a cross as the priest mumbled out passages).

Well, that's my story, how about you guys?

Jun 28, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 50
I'm not particularily fussed by religion, but - I cannot go into a church... maybe i'm the devil
eek.gif
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Its fine going in... but when the organ starts going, my ears are popping, clouding over, hurting... its either a change in air pressure (or something technical like that) - or, the organ is a really poor quality and my ears reject it
wink.gif

Either way, that was / is enough to put me off of church!!

Jun 28, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 50
Speaking of organs. One of the best I ever heard was in the old Chicago Stadium. It was a real experience to listen to it. I have never heard another like it.

Jun 28, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 50
OK, I guess I stand on the other side of the fence.
I go to church every sunday, and teach the college and career sunday school class.
I wasn't raised in the church, and in fact did several years of searching before I came to what I believe is the truth.
I go to church b/c I don't think there is anything more important in this life than to find out who/what God is and what my responsibility is towards him. I won't mention the denomonation b/c that is often what heats these debates, and I don't think it is my responsibility (or taught in the bible) to throw my religon all over others. I will say the music is contenmporary (I don't much like traditional organ music or hymns) and the teaching is kind of in your face and very applicational. I do feel I have a much better understanding of God as a result of my attendance and personal study.

biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 50
does the world of headphone tour count?

other than that, there is the high end room at some audio shops and of course the car dealerships

i worship everytime i drive my saab 95 aero that i don't kill myself and i praise the person in sweden who decided to cram too much power into one car.

but seriously, i don't think the church as we knew it as kids (i'm 35) is very relevant today.

with priests praying on kids and other such craziness...

i went to church about 9 months ago for the first time in years and years with a girlfriend, we were both curious what the church near our house was like.

it was 90% senior citizens.

it didn't seem that the messages being given out and the group there had anything to offer us.

matthew

Jun 28, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by matthewd5
i went to church about 9 months ago for the first time in years and years with a girlfriend, we were both curious what the church near our house was like.

it was 90% senior citizens.

it didn't seem that the messages being given out and the group there had anything to offer us.

matthew

Hehe, i wonder why it was 90% senior citizens?

Jun 28, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 50
Personally I have never been to a church on sunday in my life. I'm not quite sure what my religion is. We do have 2 bibles in our house though.

I do know both my Mother and Father went to sunday school when they were young, however they never felt it neccesary to send me to church.

Ya so personally i dont even know that much about religion. I think i know more about Sikism than i do about Christianity. The only information i have on Sikism is from when i did a project on it for a grade 8 socials class. So that tells you how much i know aboug Christianity.

Jun 28, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 50
I guess I'm in the minority here - I actually like church and I'm young (only 23). I know some people consider it a crutch or some sort of mental reprogramming, but I prefer to think of it as a good way to remove myself from the grind of the weekday and the blur of the weekend and ruminate on my life and the lives of those around me, if only for a paltry 1.5 hours out of the week.

Of course, pondering God and existence in such a regimentary fashion isn't for everyone. But it does help that the view in front of me during Sunday service isn't an undulating sea of gray hair and that my pastor has a Scottish accent, which makes the sermon sound like it's coming from Groundskeeper Willie.

Jun 28, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by yage
I guess I'm in the minority here - I actually like church and I'm young (only 23). I know some people consider it a crutch or some sort of mental reprogramming, but I prefer to think of it as a good way to remove myself from the grind of the weekday and the blur of the weekend and ruminate on my life and the lives of those around me, if only for a paltry 1.5 hours out of the week.

While those that have written stating other thoughts may or may not be the majority what I think is key to the entire discussion is that it does not matter what they think. You have the freedom to believe whatever you want. You also do not need to justify your reasons just as they don't.

I personally do not care to share my beliefs with the group.

Jun 28, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 50
I think organized religion as such sucks.

HOWEVER!!!!! I actually know that there is a power, greater than me, in the universe.

I chose to call this power God. God is personal. He is the God of MY understanding. When I'm in trouble, I can say, "Hey, I need a little help Pal" and somehow, someway, things are better/easier.

I'll share my God with anyone who asks, but what happens is they'll find their own God of their own personal understanding. It's not religious. It's a spiritual belief, that a Higher Power can and will help, will be there. The thing is, God will give you what you need, NOT what you want.

Sometimes I understand what Mother Theresa meant when she said "I know God will not give me more than I can handle. I just wish He didn't trust me quite so much."

BUT, I am alive, sober and happy, joyous and free, because that's God's will for any that want it.

Jun 28, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
what is with all these religion threads?

Uh, its meant to be light hearted..

Apparently, many headfiers lack a sense of humor on these boards lately, if you can't laugh at my own original post, then you should be ashamed of yourself. I don't expect nor did i solicite any serious discussion regarding religion.

This thread goes out to anyone who was in my shoes growing up. 'Nuff said.

Jun 28, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 50
I always thought it was fun to draw little cartoons and stuff on the church bulletin.
biggrin.gif
I don't understand religion now, so what would you expect from a 7-year-old me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back