Who else prefers the Etymotics over the Shures?
Jul 21, 2005 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 182

darkninja67

Headphoneus Supremus
Call me an idiot but I love how Etymotics sound compared to the Shure in ear monitors I have heard.
I just got ER4Ps and the detail is incredible. I heard things in my music I never heard before. The Shures sounded rich but they also sounded bloated to my ears. I am commenting on the Shure E2C, E3C and E4C IEMs and the Etymotic ER4P and ER6i IEMs.

Am I the only one here that is not goo goo for the E4Cs? I did try all of the fittings and the seal was good.
I guess I should be happy. This thread is not meant as a bash or flame against Shure lovers. This is just my opinion.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 182
MEee! I love the ER-4s and I wasn't thouroughly impressed with E4c. The detail IMO on the Etymotics is better, less bass impact, but it's still there and you can hear it.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 182
I don't like the thick cords on the shures and the seal seems inferior compared to the ety's on any level.
I prefer the light, thinner cords on the ety's than the thick, over the ear shures
etysmile.gif

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 182
One of the main things I like about the Etymotics is that they feel like they are not even in your ear. The Shures are kind of heavy and feel like they want to fall out sometimes. The cords add to this feeling.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 182
I prefer the shures, but I can see why many like the etymotics. Despite their flaws the ER4 have gorgeous detail.

It's definatelly a preference thing.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 182
i also prefer the delicate detail of the ety's over the thicker shure sound (er4s vs e5c). but i do use shure comfy tips with my ety's.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 182
I can only speak of the ER6i's and the E2c's and I like them both, however the Ety's have just a little more in comfort for me and that will sway me to the Ety's. Depending on how I feel is what I will listen to, but I find that my Ety's get a bit more listening time.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 182
Consensus of the reviewer's I respect say Etymotic 4 or if you are on a budget, 6i

My Ety 4S are perfect with my Lehmann Black Cube amp and Eastsound CD E5.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i also prefer the delicate detail of the ety's over the thicker shure sound (er4s vs e5c). but i do use shure comfy tips with my ety's.

What do you gain with the Shure tips? and where do you get them? I am fine with the Tri Flange tips that come with the Etymotics. Are the Shures better or is it a preference thing?

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
What do you gain with the Shure tips? and where do you get them? I am fine with the Tri Flange tips that come with the Etymotics. Are the Shures better or is it a preference thing?

i've tried many different tips and the shure comfies were the easiest to insert and seal, and still provide a great sound. i've also installed the ety's in earhugger braces (do be rid of cord noise) and put shrink tubing on them (to waterproof them for rain). i may post these mods this weekend. to me my ety's are perfect in just about every way now.

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 182
Could me as a Ety fan....for each and ever corresponding Shure model, I'd take the comparable Ety. I'm willing to sacrifice some bass for gorgeous Ety highs.

If Ety ever came out with a dual driver model, it would probably be the perfect earphone.

Jul 22, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i've also installed the ety's in earhugger braces (do be rid of cord noise) and put shrink tubing on them (to waterproof them for rain). i may post these mods this weekend.

Please do!

jesse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back