Who else doesn't download?
Sep 16, 2009 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ThePope3290

100+ Head-Fier
I'm tempted sometimes with everyone talking about hearing the newest albums that leak on the internet, and I'm even tempted to download old albums that I haven't seen in stores or haven't looked for online. But I just love ripping the packaging off of albums, putting it in for the first time, and kicking back and listening while flipping through the inserts. Plus I don't like how downloads are tagged (I like having the official tracklisting from the back of the CD). I don't see myself starting to download any time soon. Anyone else here like me?

Sep 16, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 30
It depends on the artist for me.

If it's someone like say, Matt & Kim who I am just sort of feeling out, I will probably download first. I just did this as a matter of fact. I downloaded their first one and then went out and bought the physical copies of that one and their newest as well.

But if it's of a band that I really like all around, like Nine Inch Nails or Cave In, I will try and get my hands on every physical album put out, both CD and vinyl.

I really enjoy having the huge library of physical media that I do, but at the same time, it can be space consuming and in this day and age if I can keep some of the lesser albums to a minimum, space wise, then that's all the better.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 30
Well... my friend, you are one of the last warriors it seems... I don't even have a CD player for years!

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 30
i have not downloaded music files ... i ripp lossless files from my music CDs .. i also have a Cayin CDT-17a CD player which deliver revealing and pleasing SQ as per my ears and gears

i still hunt/purchase music CDs from amazon.com, hmv and other hk cd stores (during my short vacation) and local stores .. i am not sure when i will stop
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 30
I only buy CD's, since most music isn't offered as a lossless download. If it is, I have no problem downloading it.

One thing I love about buying CD's is the album art. I scan it into my computer and attach it to the relevant music files. Even if you get a lossless download, you rarely get high-quality album art alongside it.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 30
I download once in a while, when I find an album I like available in a lossless format.
That is quite rare though, so most often I end up buying a physical CD.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #8 of 30
No downloading here, save for the occasional (legal) download from archive.org or the extremely rare purchase from iTunes. I don't even have a computer connected to the rig these days.

My preferred formats don't lend themselves to computer-as-source, anyway. I listen to vinyl, a couple of FM tuners, SACD, and I'm just getting into DVD-A.

I ran computer-as-source for awhile, then ended up using it less and less as I got pulled into SACD and vinyl. I've come to prefer the sound quality of those to Red Book. Further, the quality of the all tube (
smily_headphones1.gif
) FM tuner really shines in an all-analog signal path.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #9 of 30
When I do download CD's, I ensure that I buy at least one CD from them if I enjoy it. Sometimes I don't enjoy it in which case I think 'Phew... I'm glad I didn't pay for this.'

Sep 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have more CDs than I can find time to listen to, so no downloads excepts for the occasional tracks for curiosity's sake.

This is my practice as well. I will pull up recommendations from here to hear the samples. If I like, I'll look at their collections on Amazon. Usually, I'll pick the highest rated release first. If I like, I'll start collecting.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #12 of 30
If Lossless formats were offered on a large scale, I'd definately stop buying CDs all together. The fact that things like Itunes and Amazon only offer MP3/AAC is the only thing preventing me from making the switch to all digital. I find that after I rip my CDs onto my HDDs, they get thrown into a box and forgotten.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #13 of 30
I don't download music illegally, I subscribe to Rhapsody for $15 per month. That gets me full access to their HUGE catalog, all recorded at 192kb/sec which is quite good sounding even through my Stax headphones. In adddition to listening through my squeezebox at home, I can also install any album they have on up to 3 portable players (We have 2 Sansa clips, one for me and one for my wife).

They have a good selection of classical material which I like, as well as just about every other kind of music. I'm sometimes surprised when I search for some obscure CD I read a review of and they have it.

I like to use the combination of Pandora and Rhapsody on my squeezebox, Pandora is better at finding new music I like and I can easily add it to my Rhapsody catalog with a couple of presses of the remote, without even interrupting the track playing on Pandora.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 30
I sample downloaded music and then buy good albums en-masse from etailers such as Amazon and importcds. If the artist has a PayPal or other donation account then I just give them $10 US instead.

The way I see it, there's only so much money I can afford to devote to buying music. Nobody loses anything from me downloading extra music. If anything, it allows me to refine my taste, expand my horizons and make a more informed decision for what constitutes good music than I would have been able to otherwise, and then reward that album/artist by buying their CD.

And yeah, from that point of view I have no qualms with leaks. For that matter whether it harms or helps their sales is hardly clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back