Who are the Greatest Bass Guitarists of All Time? John Entwistle, Geezer Butler, ...?
May 29, 2007 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68
Yeah, who are the greatest bassists of all time?
Here is the sample of the list in no particular order.

John Entwistle (The Who)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Paul McCartney (The Beatles)
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Cliff Lee Burton (Metallica)
Roger Glover (Deep Purple)

and son .... and so on ...

Who are your candidates?

blink.gif

P.S.
If interested
Guitar Gods: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, ...
and
Formidable Guitar Riffs: Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi, Eric Clapton, ....

May 29, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 68
How about Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius to add to your list.

I also think Nathan East is a very versatile session player, would be interesting to see how many albums he has played on. I have seen him with Fourplay, Clapton and Joe Satriani...pretty versatile.

Flea from RHCP is an amazing bassist, and Sting has some pretty nice bass riffs too.

May 30, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 68
Geddy Lee! Oh, and Chris Squire from Yes also.

May 30, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 68
No list is complete without Victor Wooten or Les Claypool. I'm also a big fan of Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy. He wasn't necessarily the most overtly technical player out there, but he could write a catchy bassline like nobody's business. Steve DiGiorgio is generally impressive on the albums he is featured on as well (all 30 or so of them).

May 30, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #14 of 68
Can't say who are the greatest bassists of all time but these are MY favorites:

Geddy Lee (Rush)
Chris Squire (Yes)
Andy Metcalfe (Robyn Hitch**** & The Egyptians)
Mike Rutherford (Genesis)
Tony Levin

Honorable Mentions:

Jeff Palmer: I only know him from the one Sunny Day Real Estate album he was on ("How It Feels To Be Something On") but I really like his playing here.

Derek Forbes: Not a technically great bassist or anything but his bass playing really made those early Simple Mind records shine. He had a great tone, his bass lines were catchy, propulsive and funky even!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back