Who Are the Greatest Baseball Announcers: Vin Scully, Mel Allen, Harry Caray....?
Aug 28, 2007 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21
Who are the greatest play-by-play baseball announcers of all time?
Who are your favourite baseball announcers?

Is Vin Scully the greatest one? Who are the Top 3, Top 5, ...?

Here is 'creme de la creme':

Mell Allen
Red Barber
Jack Brickhouse
Jack Buck
Harry Caray
Joe Caragiola
Dizzy Dean
Curt Gowdy
Ernie Harwell
Vin Scully
Chuck Thompson
Bob Uecker

There a few more. This list is incomplete, but (arguably) contains the greatest ones.

Who are the greatest ones?
Vin Scully, Mel Allen, Ernie Harwell, Harry Caray, Red Barber, ... ?

Who are your favourite announcers?

Hank Greenwald once said:

Quote:

"Football and basketball carry the announcer.
The announcer carries baseball."

Finally, here are some Home Run Calls:

Quote:

"Bye bye baby!"
Russ Hodges

and

Quote:

"Holy Cow!"
Phil Rizzuto

and

Quote:

"Forget it!"
Vin Scully

blink.gif

P.S.
You might be interested in the following Poll:

Who is the Greatest Slugger of All Time? Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, ...?

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 21
I don't know who the best is, but my personal favourite is ESPN's Dan Shulman.

While he certainly doesn't have the longevity as the others listed, Dan is incredibly knowledgeable and articulate, without being condescending to the listener. Reminds me a bit of Bob Costas in a way.

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 21
I really haven't paid attention to baseball since I was a kid. At least a few of those on your list are/were team announcers. It'd be really hard to compare unless you went from city to city and listened to games. The only ones on your list I know that I've heard are Joe Caragiola, Vin Scully, and Chuck Thompson. The first 2 from TV network broadcasts. I grew up listening to Chuck Thompson broadcast Orioles games. He'd get my vote from nostalgia.

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 21
Vin Scully can make even a boring pitching duel seem interesting. When I was a kid, we usually left Dodger games early, because I got bored. On the way home, we tuned in to the game, and Vin made the game I was watching more interesting on the radio than in reality. That is the mark of a great announcer.

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 21
as a dodgers fan growing up in hawaii we got a lot of the dodgers radio broadcasts (pre-internet and pre-digital cable)...and i remember being mesmerized by the way vin scully called a game. he's one of the dodgers' only ties to brooklyn as he moved to l.a. with the team.

he still calls games by himself - he's so talented that he does the play-by-play, analysis, and color all by himself. my favorite game he called? hideo nomo's no-hitter at coors field. i have that entire game on VHS and i still watch it regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back