White Water Rafting
Aug 11, 2002 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
A bunch of folks from work, 18. Went white water rafting today for the first time. We did the Deerfield River in MA. Class 3 and 4 rapids. What a rush. The best part was the swim the rapids at the end. The guides said jump in swim to the current and ride it down. Holly ****! This was only class 1-2 section. What a ride. If you get a chance try it. We went with Crabapple tours. Highly recommended.

Aug 11, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 6
Sounds awesome. I haven't been rafting in a few years, but I'd love to go again. Last time I went was to the upper Youghiogheny, had a hell of a time. God, now that I think about it that was over four years ago. I need to get down to the Gauley sometime.........

Aug 11, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I rafted at Ohio Pyle(Pile? Don't remember). Its in PA. Not bad! But swimming down. . . that sounds great. . .

Heh - my dad inadvertantly swam down about a quarter mile of the Yough.
biggrin.gif
Got thrown out of the raft and it took us a while to chase him down.

Aug 12, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Did my third year of a canoe trip on the Delaware River in PA. two weekends ago.
While the rapids are not huge they ARE enough for thirty drunken amatuers to negotiate.
This trip is hard to get on and started out five years ago with 10 guys (sorry ladies,all male club).The count is up to thirty retards.

We leave Danbury Connecticut at 7:00 AM saturday morning in a caravan of SUVs and pickups,bring it up to 75 mph as soon as we get on I-84 and head west to Pennsyvania.
Arrival is about 8:15 .
LET THE NIGHTMARE BEGIN
evil_smiley.gif

The first step is unloading all the gear and loading the bus that will take us to the start of our section of the river.This gear includes two coolers per two man team.One with each individuals thirty pack (we brought three thirty packs) and drink of choice plus mix (hehe,two 1/2 gallon jugs of vodka,fifth of Jamaican rum,7 UP and cola,plus a few pre mixed mudslides for GP).
The other contains all food required for two days (lunch day one-cold grinders / dogs/burgers/etc-----dinner and munchies at the campsite--lunch day two)

Coulda knocked the guy over with a feather that monitored our loading.
"so how long you guys going out for "
"overnight "
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

"
eek.gif
"
"exactly "

tongue.gif

OH YEAH ! Run into the camp store for a cool cup that has a strap.Can't be wasting beers while rowing dammit

We get on the bus and start telling jokes , insulting one another,power drinking...................

ON THE WATERBY 9:00.YEEEESSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a section of the river that is normally considered a day trip for normal humans,but we do things our own way.
biggrin.gif

And that way means taking things EZ cuz a boatload of drunks can be very scary at speed.Hell,even at a full stop we get into trouble
evil_smiley.gif

So my partner and me get downriver about 75 ft and we already have a canoe down.
NEW WORLD RECORD !
Usually it takes AT LEAST thirty minutes for that to happen.

We spend the day avoiding rocks (yeah,OK,sure
rolleyes.gif
) , drinking ,and just generally enjoying the river while shooting the bull.This is accomplished by rowing towards another two man teams canoe who you wan't to talk to,attempting to stop..

[size=medium]LOOKOUT[/size]

Grabbing on and "so whats up"

Conversation growing stale ?
Row on over to the next group of knuckleheads (LOOKOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

Of course sometimes a man just wants to be alone and COCKTAIL
biggrin.gif

We do lunch at a predetermined spot about noon or so,my ass was late due to playng mamma with several capsized/sunk canoes.BUT HEY ! THESE ARE MY BUDS RIGHT ?

So I go to break out my annual lunchtime canoe trip treat-Sabrett dogs with a topping of onions soaked in super hot for three days.Damn good thing we have a fireman with us.

So as I get there the group is packing up and the fire is out dammit.
What to do ?
Cold dogs with hot sauce works for me in a pinch.

Lunch over I turn around to get back in my canoe and..............
over the bank I go backwards !
I land dead on my ass
biggrin.gif

Hehehe,,made lunch worth stopping for afterall.
No harm other than pride and the knowledge that camp fire jokes are going to include me we head downriver.
NEXT STOP is the overnight campsite around three or so..
When i say campsite I am talking about one of two secluded spots in the woods that have enough room for thirty guys plus gear as far from the civilized world as we can attain.
This group is not ready for the world of women and children (even though the majority is married with children)

oops,gotta go.Part two later,maybe
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back