White Stripe's Grammy Performance
Feb 9, 2004 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Well I watched this years version of "Grammy Idol" and actually saw a rareity.......someone actually improvising real music! White Stripes started playing standard version of latest hit song "7 nation" then half way through Jack broke off into scorching improvised jam session that just smoked the place, thank god there are a few musicians left in the music industry

Refreshing change from the typical karioke "grammy idol" performances, or the latest trend of combining a collage of hits in tepid "muzak" version with dance number (Prince performance)

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 23
Wasnt that awesome?! I thought they were by far the best performers there. And I think its the best live performance that I have ever seen on an awards show of any kind. I was very impressed.

Feb 9, 2004 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by waltermeyer
Wasnt that awesome?! I thought they were by far the best performers there. And I think its the best live performance that I have ever seen on an awards show of any kind. I was very impressed.

Yes, easliy most inspired performance of the night.

Can any guitar players give me some info on large retro looking guitar Jack was playing last night........don't see those too often
and looks like it is somewhat cumbersome to play compared to typical smaller models most people use.

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Well I watched this years version of "Grammy Idol" and actually saw a rareity.......someone actually improvising real music! White Stripes started playing standard version of latest hit song "7 nation" then half way through Jack broke off into scorching improvised jam session that just smoked the place, thank god there are a few musicians left in the music industry

What makes you think it was an improvisation?

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 23
Best performance of the night, imo. It was new (read: totally non-retro), fresh, and creative. I am constantly amazed at how much music comes out of just those two. And I can watch Meg pound the 'skins' in her unique style all night. Great to watch live like that.

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Best performance of the night, imo. It was new (read: totally non-retro), fresh, and creative. I am constantly amazed at how much music comes out of just those two. And I can watch Meg pound the 'skins' in her unique style all night. Great to watch live like that.

are you sure there is not at least another gutar in the background ?? i thought i heard it.. either they are playing with a background track;; or a hidden musician..

but,, they WERE great..

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

What makes you think it was an improvisation?

Nothing like this on any of their studio albums.......wish there was
cool.gif

Quote:

are you sure there is not at least another gutar in the background ?? i thought i heard it.. either they are playing with a background track;; or a hidden musician..

Pretty sure it was just Jack, but by using lots of reverb/echo and feedback can somtimes sound like multiple instruments or layers.

Feb 9, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Nothing like this on any of their studio albums.......wish there was

Bah that dosen't mean it was improvised... Anyhow, I enjoyed the performance, but I don't believe it was improvised
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 23
Jack is a great improvisor and guitarist, he improvises at almost all his concerts. I've seen him twice live and his solos are all roughly based around the album ones but are quite different, usually much more radical. I didn't watch the grammys, but if he went off on a jam then that's awesome, would like to get my hands on a copy.

Feb 10, 2004 at 7:09 AM Post #10 of 23
Hmmmmm........never even heard of White Stripe.
confused.gif
What type of music?

Feb 10, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
Hmmmmm........never even heard of White Stripe.
confused.gif
What type of music?

I would call it minimalist blues influenced garage rock, but labels are kinda of meaningless when describing music......best to listen to some samples of latest album:
White Stripes

The song he played at Grammy's was track 1 "7 nation army" which receives heavy roatation on music video channels. But half way through he broke off into long hellacious guitar solo jam, I bet the grammy producers had a heart attack......I suspect this was a surprise to them and not part of the expected performance, he he

Where is Markl ?
This is like his fav group.....he must be sick or something not to comment here.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Where is Markl ? This is like his fav group.....

I thought that was grinch?

Feb 10, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I would call it minimalist blues influenced garage rock, but labels are kinda of meaningless when describing music......best to listen to some samples of latest album:
White Stripes

Cool. Thanks......I'll give it a listen.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by GirgleMirt
Bah that dosen't mean it was improvised... Anyhow, I enjoyed the performance, but I don't believe it was improvised
tongue.gif

It's not like its hard to improvise when you are the only musician playing.

Feb 10, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #15 of 23
I'm not sure how much of an improvisation it was. Th lighting scheme seemed to match the departure from the song pretty well if I remember correctly.

But it was a SMOKIN' performance, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back