White/Pink/Brown/Blue/Violet Noise - The Noise Appreciation Thread
Mar 5, 2007 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stereophile

Head-Fier
Does anyone else here listen to White Noise in order to help them sleep, study, block outside noise, etc?

I just started doing this a month or so ago, it seems to help me focus a lot. I tried wearing headphones with this stuff, but I'd rather not wear anything when I'm in this mode.

I was looking at some white noise CDs, then some places that sell mp3s of 1 hour white noise for $3 or so, but then-- I found this:
Soundmaster Deluxe - this program that lets you create & record your own versions of White, Pink, Brown, Blue, & Violet noise, plus other things. Kind of kool -- got a trial version of it and am playing around with it. I think I'll buy it for $29.
http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/soundmaskerhome.htm

The software co has other similar products like Atmosphere which appears to sort of allow you to creat your own nature-sound type recordings (oceans, etc) -- though Soundmaster does enough of that for me.

Right now I've got white/pink/brown noise PC source > paralleled > Logitech amp & Onkyo in parallel; Onkyo parallel out -> 4speakers & also Onkyo headphone jack out to Logitech (where Logitech wants the mp3 input to go), Logitech line out-> 2 additional speakers (for a total of 6 motley crew large/small high to low end speakers) . . . heh, yes laugh but I tried all combos for hours and hours and this is the combo that is best for my ears -- this setup gives me incredible custom control over my sound as I can separately adjust output to 6 speakers using 2 separate amplifiers, 2 separate EQs to the 2 sets of speakers; and no interference. I have a 60 minute recording of noise on "reply" so it will go all night, untouched. Speakers strategically placed around the room to give balanced room coverage and block noise.

Wondering if anyone else knows of a Headfi forum or thread that discusses this subject more?
Some of this may touch on areas that are useful to headphone burn-in, etc.

*And for the paranoid Headfi-ers: If you think your room or home is bugged with a listening device, this nifty toy has things like "random background voices" that is supposed to defeat bugs! If that doesn't help you sleep, I don't know what will.

Mini-review:

Okay, I'm tweaking this thread with a micro-mini-review of some new "colors" of noise this program has turned me onto. I knew about White & Pink noise, but this program gives me Brown, Violet, & Blue noise too. Cool.

I don't have proper time now, but I'll give a one sentence blurb on each color of noise - I'll use water sounds as a reference -- if you listen to these colors I trust you'l see why.

White Noise: It's raining hard and fast outside, with small streamlets of water rushing by quickly.

Pink Noise: Raining hard; but more spatial, the water is further away, but rushing into a very large river.

Brown Noise: You are standing near a very large, reserved yet extremely powerful river -- pink noise lovers - try this one out.

Blue Noise: This is like white noise, only only a bit higher-pitched quick rainstorm -- if you prefer pink noise over white, don't go here.

Violet Noise: Perhaps in between white and blue noise, a mixture of the 2; but I'm having a harder time placing this one - perhaps a quick-paced rainstorm further in the distance than blue.

All colors at once (technicolor?): You are in the water, perhaps under a waterfall, perhaps you start to get swept downstream, bobbing up and down, being inexhorably swept -- somewhere -- and its not necessarily bad.

Recommendations (IMHO): I liked the Pink, Brown, and White noise in various combinations. Blue & violet not so much -- but they are nice when added to all the rest of the colors to create a technicolor noise. If you like Pink noise better than White noise, try the free demo version of this software and try the Brown noise there -- nice. Also, take a few seconds to experiment with all the various colors in combination...I never knew listening to noise could be so fun...no music for me tonight.

maskerbluebig.jpg

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 16
My 4th block teacher lets me listen to my rig whenever she isn't talking which is a good thing because of all the chatter in the room. There are some preppy girls that sit across from me that are always talking excessively. I cannot concentrate with them talking but I can concentrate while listening to music, which I find very odd. Maybe I will try white noise but I doubt that I like it.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 16
White/Pink noise is a wonderful thing to have handy when you're trying to sleep. When I check in a hotel room, first thing I do is run the fan speed up on the AC/Heat, if possible. Then, if I need it, I turn the FM radio to an unused frequency for the noise.

Great sleep inducer!
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does pink noise help tinnitus? I'd be interested in hearing if and how it helps.

It masks the tinnitus when listening , and when used for a few hours a day makes it less noticable . As to the how and why it works i don't know?

interesting link here http://www.rnid.org.uk/information_r...d_tinnitus.htm

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always recommend listing to pink noise to help with tinnitus. its soothing.

Man, you in a league all by yourself -- lean back in your SR325i, listen to some pink noise, and sip some scotch.

Um, who needs music?

And btw, does pink noise sound better on the SR325i's?

I got my White Noise EQed at 3/6k; 4/15k (I like treble on some things...)

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 16
Sometimes I listen to pink noise to help me sleep more easily.

I have this theory about listening to pink noise on new equipment though, but I haven't really done much to test it out. With how much is talked about needing to "adjust" to the sonic signature of new equipment before you can truly appreciate or even review it, I figure listening to pink noise on it for a period of time before ever playing music may accelerate the mental adjustment. If it has any peaks or dips you're not used to, it may take longer to get used to them if they only occur very periodically in your music. With the pink noise they'll be there fairly consistently, and allow you to subconciously adjust to the new sonic signature much more quickly. These are just idle musings though, I don't really have any knowledge of the psychological properties of hearing.

Mar 5, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always recommend listing to pink noise to help with tinnitus. its soothing.

That same company sells: Tinnitus Masker Pro.
http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/tinmaskerhome.htm

They echo what you say - they even mention they will sell commericial licenses to hearing professionals who are making their own cds...

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 16
thanks for the heads up on tinnitus and pink noise. I think I'll give it a try. My tinnitus isn't that bad, I only notice it when It's very quite like when I'm going to bed at night. It only slightly louder than the sound of blood rushing in my ears.

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
?

And btw, does pink noise sound better on the SR325i's?

The 325i's doesn't really make anything sound better imo.
It just reproduces whats being fed into it ...pink noise in = pink noise out
sometimes i wish it did make things sound better maybe it would make gold noise
tongue.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 16
Ok, good answer.

Now I feel vaguely guilty, moved to pink noise, zero EQ.

Mar 5, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I listen to pink noise to help me sleep more easily.

I have this theory about listening to pink noise on new equipment though, but I haven't really done much to test it out. With how much is talked about needing to "adjust" to the sonic signature of new equipment before you can truly appreciate or even review it, I figure listening to pink noise on it for a period of time before ever playing music may accelerate the mental adjustment. If it has any peaks or dips you're not used to, it may take longer to get used to them if they only occur very periodically in your music. With the pink noise they'll be there fairly consistently, and allow you to subconciously adjust to the new sonic signature much more quickly. These are just idle musings though, I don't really have any knowledge of the psychological properties of hearing.

Wow, your thought makes me wonder if people here should "burn-in" their baby's ears for a few weeks immediately after they are born so their ears will have good listening performance? Perhaps if mom listens to pink noise a lot, esp with some deep canal IEMS to push it down to baby's eardrums. Hm.

More experimentation needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back