White Bird Amplification- Virtus-01
Sep 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Holowlegs

Head-Fier
Hello there

Before I start I would just like to thank first Andy (Smial 1966) who organized the UK 2012 Head-Fi Meet in Cambridgeshire.

Also would like to thank White Bird Amplification  who donated a prize to the raffle, and I was the very lucky person who won that prize the VIRTUS-01 headphone amp

Wow was I a happy man.

I have never owned a value amp, and only really started to geting back into HI-FI again this year, especially headphones, so am going to use this thread to tell my adventure, and please feel free to join in.

I wanted to listen to some value amps at the meet, as I have never listen to one before. Well the member who set up next to me, just so happened to have a HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE and not only that there was two at the meet, which I had a listen too more than once. I was even allowed to connected my own DAP and listen to my own music.

Also I listen to some of the Schiit range, the Lyr and the Valhalla, very impressed, and by the time I got to listening to the VIRTUS-01 I was sold, I really did like what I was hearing from these value amps.

Now to the amp, first thing you notice when you pick it up is the weight of it, have read that it comes in at 15 kg. This is due mainly to the granite top and sides. Also this is a very well made amp on the outside and has a very nice finish. When I get a bit off time I will post some pictures.

The amp was also supplied with a Audiophile Mains Lead Lapp Cable

I am trying to find out a bit more about the values it came with as these are not the stock values, so will post this information at a later date.

At the moment my system is a pc running Jriver software, playing Flac, converted from CD or some 24 bit flac from B&W society of sound, sent to a Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192, then to a pair off Sennheishers RS 180 wirless headphones.

Now I know the RS 180 are the weak link here, but I am looking to upgrade to a pair of Sennheishers HD 650 in a couple of weeks time.

Better Things by Massive Attack , has never sounded better on the RS 180's, a few times I have had to stop typing just to enjoy what I was listening to
L3000.gif
. This track has a great bass line and the Virtus handles it so well, boom, boom, it is just so tuneful. Also Tracy Thorns voice is so clear and detailed. the Vitus has just seemed to open up the sound stage, and yep that old chestnut is true, I am hearing things I never heard before.

Well my opinion so far, this amp just put a big smile on my face when I got it first set up, haven't really done any really critical listening at the moment, just enjoying the music. Andy has told me I will need to run it in for about 100 hrs, so once I get some spare time I will give you my views via the RS 180's and once I get the HD 650's and also post some views of these.

Thanks for Reading.

Cheers Frank

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 10
Frank

Congrats for winning that great amp. Having had a few valve & tranny amps, valve win hands done in my opinion. I am the person who had the earmax amp & HD650's you tried and liked. Would love to hear it & compare to my earmax.

Ian

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Frank

Congrats for winning that great amp. Having had a few valve & tranny amps, valve win hands done in my opinion. I am the person who had the earmax amp & HD650's you tried and liked. Would love to hear it & compare to my earmax.

Ian

Thanks a lot for all your help at the meet Ian, as you know I tried quite a few pairs of headphones at the meet, and I really did like the sound from the HD 65O.

I will bring it along at the next meet, and you are more than welcome to try it out.

Cheers Frank

Sep 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks a lot Some 1, yep Osram valves, and someone much wiser than me choose them.

Not had a lot off time to update this thread. Have decided that I am going to ordered the Senny's HD 650's next weekend and can't wait.

Have got a nice glass off red wine and chilling to a few tracks.

Another Massive Attack  track that has really stuck out is Dissolved Girl from the Mezzanine album,. Now I have always love the beginning of this track with its deep bass, but there's a bit in the middle where this track up the tempo and the heavy guitar comes in. There an awful lot going on and sometimes, on systems I have had in the past things could get lost, and this would sort off put me off this track. Not no more, the Virtus and the Lindemann, just take control, in the pass it could sound a bit of a mess, not no more.  Looking forward to listening to this track via the HD 650's

Cheers Frank

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Hello there

Just a little update. Have now got myself a pair of Senny,s HD 650's, have had them for about 5 days now, and they really are a step up from the RS 180's.  The sound-stage has really opened up and they have really brought out some fine detail. When I go back to the to the RS 180's they sound sort of hollow.

Jill Scott - It's Love from the Who Is Jill Scott? - Words & Sounds Vol. 1 album, has so many layers coming from the 650's, but it is all held so well together, Jill's voice at the beginning is crystal clear, and mixed in with that short bass note, then things speed up but nothing interferes with each other. Just love the short burst of the horns.

Well I am going to carry on enjoying my listening, and will one write a full review.

Cheers Frank

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 10
So, nobody is using this amp? It looks very interesting but no information from users about it.
Hi, I have one.
It is pretty big & puts out quite a bit of heat but I really like it.
It is powerful, I think it's 1.2W per channel.
Such a good pairing with my HD 600, typical of an OTL tube amp.
I barely ever reach 4 o' clock on the dial.

Oct 23, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 10
I am really interested in buying a headphone amp which supports KT66/77/88 and it has decent tube rolling options, so this was on my observation list. However, since almost nobody is using this one, I am not sure if I want to be a pioneer, very had to find reviews related to pairings with different headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back