Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Feb 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #196 of 1,408
Well... before my many long nights at the Bow bar in Edinburgh, I would never add water either (quite the 'purist'). But it was recommended to me to add one or two drops (only to a cask strength). It is a revelation (as Proglover intimated).

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #197 of 1,408

Quote:
Well... before my many long nights at the Bow bar in Edinburgh, I would never add water either (quite the 'purist'). But it was recommended to me to add one or two drops (only to a cask strength). It is a revelation (as Proglover intimated).

What are you drinking above Cask strength?  Until I see Duncan McLeod add water I'm going to reserve the concept for Lowland royal collaborators.  
tongue.gif

I just can't see William Wallace standing on the shoals of Skyye crying out, "Hey Shamus!  Fetch me a few drops of water for me Talisker!

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #198 of 1,408

Quote:
What are you drinking above Cask strength?  Until I see Duncan McLeod add water I'm going to reserve the concept for Lowland royal collaborators.  
tongue.gif

I just can't see William Wallace standing on the shoals of Skyye crying out, "Hey Shamus!  Fetch me a few drops of water for me Talisker!

LOL... !

Tonight, it's this:

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #199 of 1,408

Quote:

Tonight, it's this:

Damn you Shane.  Alright, pick me Malt.  Talisker, Lagavulin or Dalwhinnie tonight?

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #200 of 1,408
Definitely a Lagavullin:)

Got my bottles in the mail this morning; trying the Macallan sherry cask tonight

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #201 of 1,408
I watered down the Ardbeg last night. I didn't like it too much, but I can understand some people do. I am with Anaxilus as I felt cheated when I was drinking it. It was like lemonade with whisky taste. ;p

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #202 of 1,408

Quote:
Damn you Shane.  Alright, pick me Malt.  Talisker, Lagavulin or Dalwhinnie tonight?

(Proglover is right) Lagavulin 16, Double Matured. I'll post a shot of the label when I get home. Sorry to say I don't have any with me... here... at work... where I need it most. 
wink_face.gif

No water... it's not cask strength.
rolleyes.gif

This:

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #203 of 1,408
On the watering your Scotch subject please note that if it's not cask strength the bottler has already added water to bring it to the stated alcohol content.  Even so I find that many will still benefit from some added spring water.  Cask Strength bottlings are such a great value because you get to add the water yourself.

Part of the pleasure of drinking Scotch is discovering the ideal amount of water to add to achieve the best flavor/aroma profile. 

You can find the Highland Spring brand of Scottish spring water in the USA at fine Scotch retailers or online.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #204 of 1,408
For those who do like to add a few drops of water, a trick that I use to make sure you don't get too much water is just make sure your hands are clean, grab an ice cube and let the warmth from your hand melt the ice one drop at a time over your glass. This way you get exactly the number of drops you want. Sometimes 2 or 3 drops is plenty. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #206 of 1,408

Quote:
For those who do like to add a few drops of water, a trick that I use to make sure you don't get too much water is just make sure your hands are clean, grab an ice cube and let the warmth from your hand melt the ice one drop at a time over your glass. This way you get exactly the number of drops you want. Sometimes 2 or 3 drops is plenty. 

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #208 of 1,408

Quote:
Anyone going the the London Whisky show (AKA Whisky Live) this weekend?

See you there!!! (Or not)

damn!
I was in London last weekend, should've booked for a week later
angry_face.gif

Mar 4, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #209 of 1,408
A small pitcher, properly designed for watering whisky allows you to pour very small amounts of water.  I acquired one packaged with a bottle of Bowmore a few years ago.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #210 of 1,408
I can't believe you guys have spent almost a page discussing how to manipulate a drop or two of water into your malt.  I'm beginning to wonder if some of you should be drinking at all.  Definitely not operating heavy machinery or designing rockets.  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back