Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jul 1, 2009 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,408

ear8dmg

500+ Head-Fier
It's crossed my mind recently that learning to appreciate the finer points of a good whisky is somewhat analagous to learning to appreciate good audio equipment.

When we're talking nose, body, pallate, finish, balance etc, its almost as alien to the casual observer as talking about headstage, transparency, warmth etc.

Personally, I like a good Scotch - single malts from the Islay region being amoung my favourites. I can appreciate good stuff from elsewhere, although I admit to being biased in favour of malt whisky in general.

Anyone else think run-of-the mill Jack Daniels, Jamesons and Famous Grouse are the ibuds, Skullcandies and Bose of the whisk(e)y world?

Edit: Hmm... Come to think of it, this might have been more suited to the Members Lounge.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 1,408
I think, just like with headphones it all comes down to personal preferences. I'm also a big fan of malt whiskey, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy Irish Whiskey or Canadian Whiskey from time to time as well. Sure they aren't as nice or complex, but then they don't have the same price tag either.

Bourbon on the other hand, I don't know how anybody can drink that stuff.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 1,408
Dunno, I'm not really keen on Bourbon either but I suspect it's just that I haven't found a good one yet. I've had some dismal Scotch and Irish stuff but thankfully I got to try something pleasant before I was put off.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 1,408
Keep looking. There are some great bourbons out there that can easily hold their own with the single malts.

Then there is the whole Cognac/Amagnac thing.... and Tequila/Mezcal.... Rum/Rhum... Gin/Genever......

Im getting thirsty.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 1,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoKwan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep looking. There are some great bourbons out there that can easily hold their own with the single malts.

Then there is the whole Cognac/Amagnac thing.... and Tequila/Mezcal.... Rum/Rhum... Gin/Genever......

Im getting thirsty.

I would definitely concur. I would put my favorite bourbons against a single-malt any day. Give "Maker's Mark," "Jefferson Reserve," and/or "Woodford Reserve" a try. Heck, companies that make Single-Malt buy and use used Maker's Mark barrels to make their product.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 1,408
Was reading about a bourbon tasting, where the organiser snuck in a good blended scotch. Not a soul realised what it was. Like I said just not had a good bourbon yet. It's on my to do list.

Saying otherwise is a bit like saying you don't like earphones, having only tried the cheapies that came with your phone.

I got a bit snobbish about single malts a while ago but I make a point of trying different stuff when it's available. Have been surprised by the quality of a few blends recently. It's a lot easier to get hold of a good Scotch than bourbon around these parts (England) though.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 1,408
I like good bourbons; my favorites being Maker's Mark and Basil Hayden's.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 1,408
I have a Talisker 18Years box/bottle as a headphoneholder for my K501 but I hardly drink single malt's.. It's ok, but not really my thing.. I like Lagavulin 16Y though, maybe twice a year..

I just to drink it more regular, but I guess my taste changed, single malt is like my blues period, history..

Bloody expensive..for a cardboard headphoneholder
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 1,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like good bourbons; my favorites being Maker's Mark and Basil Hayden's.

Wow I can't say I agree with that. Haven't had Maker's in forever, but my one and only Basil Hayden was seriously underwhelming.

My budget go-to for now is Woodford Reserve. Yum.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 1,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I can't say I agree with that. Haven't had Maker's in forever, but my one and only Basil Hayden was seriously underwhelming.

My budget go-to for now is Woodford Reserve. Yum.

I'm surprised to hear this. To me Basil Hayden is smoother and more refined tasting than Maker's Mark. What didn't you like about it?

I recently signed up on their website to become a Maker's Mark Ambassador for fun. Included in the pack is a booklet which loosely talks about some of their competitors - interesting read.

I have not yet tried Woodford Reserve - thanks for the tip!
wink_face.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 1,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised to hear this. To me Basil Hayden is smoother and more refined tasting than Maker's Mark. What didn't you like about it?

I recently signed up on their website to become a Maker's Mark Ambassador for fun. Included in the pack is a booklet which loosely talks about some of their competitors - interesting read.

I have not yet tried Woodford Reserve - thanks for the tip!
wink_face.gif

Yeah, I didn't like the smoothness. I felt it was bland. Woodford has some bite and is pretty sweet; that's what I like. I think I can say that about my taste in headphones, too.
L3000.gif

As for Maker's, I haven't had any since I got into the >$30 bourbons, so I may not care for it at all anymore.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 1,408
It's not a bourbon, but I like me some Gentleman Jack.
+1 on woodfords, kinda hard to find in Japan though.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 1,408
When I got into whiskey I started with Scotch, Islay's for the most part. I still enjoy them but I will take a good bourbon or rye every time over any Scotch I've had. To me, a good American Whiskey has just incredible flavors. I probably have more than 10 bottles of whiskey in my liquor cabinet and easily two thirds of them are American whiskey's. A year ago, the opposite would be true.

Jul 2, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #15 of 1,408
When I first had a dram of Lagavulin 16 yo I thought it was possibly the most wonderful drink I ever tasted. I've got a bottle now and don't find it so incredible. Inconsistent bottlings or the whisky equivalent of reverse burn in?

Having said that, I added distilled water the first time. Don't have any at home at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back