Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jan 26, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,336 of 1,413
Agree

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #1,337 of 1,413
Nice thread.
I think whisk(e)y pairs well with hifi.
What would you say are your suggestions for something special / unique / must try in flavour (please not too much smoke)?

I tried a bunch of stuff, but i love to experience new good things.
Some of my favourites are: Hibiki Harmony, Dalmore King Alexander III, Glenfarclas 25 years.
Woodford Reserve was ok (very close to Elijah Craig, couldn't pick a winner lol), the double oaked WR was leagues ahead and really good.
A nice positive suprise for example was the Bushmills 16 years, highly recommended.
To anyone that only had the Glenfarclas 12/15 years: The 25 one is miles better and 100% worth it, it's not that expensive for its age (in comparison) and it's really good!
I also love japanese whisky since you have no idea what you get, and they don't feel that "restricted" in their flavour profile. Chita has a unique marzipan taste, Hakushu is minty with a bit of smoke. Often times with regular whisky (i like buying small samples from a lot of different stuff) i get a bit of a boring profile. A bit of Oak, some undefined sweet dry fruits, sherry, in short: nothing special and only nuances in difference than the last one i tried.

I also love my Botucal rum (the green one).
Aberlour A’bunadh is a mainstay for me. Core line from Tamdhu are excellent sherry. Glen Garioch is another. Deanston. Oban is lovely if you want something briney. Mortlach is also a favorite of mine. Edradour and Hazelburn for some good funk and leather.

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #1,338 of 1,413
How is the difference between Pittyvaich and Glenury Royal?
Very curious bc the Pittyvaich wasn't as good as expected to my taste.

Maybe I had a bit too much Kavalan Sherry Oak before. :sweat_smile:

Edit.
Saw your answer a bit late.
Can you take a sip of each for a more detailed answer? (Don't want to force you into drinking, thou) :)
I love Kavalan. I always fly EVA Air as Taiwan’s duty free is Scotch heaven. every time I fly to Asia and bring me a bottle of Kavalan.

Jan 27, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #1,339 of 1,413

Angel's Envy Port Wine Finish - is this the normal one? There's also an Angel's Envy Rye (i didn't like the Woodford Reserve Rye much, so i'll probably stick to the normal one).
Yes, that’s the one. Don’t worry, it doesn’t taste like port wine, BUT, it is a high rye content bourbon. I don’t particularly enjoy Woodford Reserve (especially their rye, which I think is terrible) but, if you really just don’t like rye in general (and don’t judge solely by the Woodford rye), my suggestions of Angel’s Envy and Whistle Pig, while I like them both a great deal, might not be to your taste.

That being said, mix the two together in a low ball with a sugar cube, Angostura bitters and a splash of water, and you’ve got the best Old Fashioned this side of Gallagher’s Steakhouse. IMHO.

YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #1,340 of 1,413
Ok thanks!
So on the next shopping list is:
Glengoyne 18 (unless you tell me that the 21 is miles better and i really should get that one)
Longmorn 18
Glenlivet 15
Angel's Envy
I'll probably skip the Oban for now since i normally don't like those maritime seasalt / seaweed / heavy smoke flavours.

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #1,341 of 1,413
It appears that some things have arrived, did i mention that i like japanese whisky? This will take a while, i'm not a heavy drinker haha...

Whisky_1.jpg

Feb 11, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,342 of 1,413
I also got a miniature of Bulleit Bourbon (4cl) and the difference to the Envy is not even close. The Envy is so much better. Smoother, less bitterness. The Bulleit tastes soapy in the aftertaste. Thanks for the suggestion.
Shinobu Mizunara 10 years: Sweet, tasty, smooth, almost no bitterness. Minor smoke notes in the scent but not the taste. No fruits.
Fuji: Sweet citrus fruits, like a lemon cake. Something new, fantastic.
Kamiki Intense Wood: Plum with a minor note of smoke and peat, in the background dark caramel, still sweet. I really like the combination.
Japanese stuff always positively suprises me (mostly, Toki was kinda bad, so bland).
I need more time for the Glengoyne 21, that's a complex one, first impressions are very good, but i would not buy another step above it, simply because i feel that i can't evaluate the finer nuances and don't get more joy out of pricier ones.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #1,346 of 1,413
My favorite whisky is Oban.
I didn't know this. We almost purely talk about bourbon and cachaca. I think Oban is my favorite scotch (whisky). I have a bottle here and reading this is making me want to get a dram.

Mar 28, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,347 of 1,413
Congrats on international whiskey day where the industry is celebrating women ( there’s five) who represent 8% of all whiskey biz for their success and role models.

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,349 of 1,413
A co-worker has been recommending I try this for MONTHS. Finally bought it today.
It's alright... but I feel it's too sugary for my preferences. Also, I like regular Jameson as an easy add-on to tonic water. It's simple, low on flavor, but adds a nice "lilt" and baby kick to flavored water.
The Black Barrel, on the other hand, should be taken without mixing it. I don't believe the flavor would compliment any juicy flavors or liquid. So consumed neat or with ice, if it's a flavor you enjoy, then go for it.

I wouldn't say this is a "failure", but I also don't want to have more than a sample dram before discontinuing consumption.

f5onmzv.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back