Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Feb 17, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #1,216 of 1,413
Picked this up on a whim while traveling - checking it out this eve.

IMG_2647.jpg

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #1,218 of 1,413
Picked up a bottle of Highland Park Viking Scars as it was on offer - ended up costing £16

I'm not a big whisky drinker, the two main bottles I've had are Glenlivet Founders Reserve and Penderyn - both around £30/£35ish so all in the same price range.

Highland Park Viking Scars is lovely, really happy with it and would be keen to try more in their range - but sadly I don't have the funds to splash out on fancy whisky so those in the £30-40 region suit me just fine.

Feb 18, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #1,219 of 1,413
Picked up a bottle of Highland Park Viking Scars as it was on offer - ended up costing £16

I'm not a big whisky drinker, the two main bottles I've had are Glenlivet Founders Reserve and Penderyn - both around £30/£35ish so all in the same price range.

Highland Park Viking Scars is lovely, really happy with it and would be keen to try more in their range - but sadly I don't have the funds to splash out on fancy whisky so those in the £30-40 region suit me just fine.
Founders is solid, I recommend it a lot on that price range. For blended look into Monkey Shoulder, heard really good things.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #1,226 of 1,413
Is that 8 an age statement? Let us know how it is as it looked delicious from here
The 8 is a symbol -- here's the info from their website:

-----
Aged in Minnesota-made oak barrels for 18 months.

Bødalen is named for an idyllic Norwegian valley on the edge of a massive glacier. The mash bill is 60% heirloom corn, 30% Hazlet rye and 10% malt barley.

TASTING NOTES | Nose offers aromas of toffee, sweet corn and orange zest. The entry is both peppery and vegetal, with a woodsy depth. The finish is surprisingly long, rich and persistent with notes of bitter chocolate and brown sugar.
-----

I would agree with the tasting notes, both when it hits your mouth and then as you breathe out. Straight, it was good. As an old fashioned, it was great!

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,228 of 1,413
I was having a bourbon shootout one day and Maker's Mark won.IMG_0448.jpg
same for me, I remember my friends dad used to drink it and I always thought Ezra Brooks was better tasting, which it is... but Makers Mark is smooth as all hell, can drink it straight or with coke and no harshness, when your young and first getting into whiskey even Evan williams is more appealing I think, but then as some point you stop giving a flip about comparing which has the strongest taste AND tastes good, which must be the best, more is better right? Then when you just want something cheap which goes up as you get older and makers mark is pretty cheap, and tastes good but also going down easy is now the benefit Makers mark beats everything, if I want the absolute best taste in the range I go for Bulleit, if I want cheaper and toned down I go for George Dickel, if I want between makers mark and that I go for four roses which is also excellent, but when I am buying whiskey and just want some dang whiskey and don't even want to mess with thinking about this or that I get 6 Makers Mark, that is what I drink the most, it's not the best per se, but it also is because it's never bad, any way, any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back