Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Mar 26, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #737 of 1,408
Bowmore for me at the moment, as it was discounted by £10 at my local supermarket.

On the downside, they seem to have reduced their choice of whiskies in the last few weeks, a development I hope is only temporary.

May 9, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #742 of 1,408
Rowans Creek is great stuff in the $30 ish range, as is it's big brother "Noah's Mill".

The Weller's are great, but it's near impossible to find the 12 year recently in the states.

Lately I've been enjoying Old Forester 1920, along with Blantons, Willett Rye 3 &4 yr., and Michters Barrel Strength Rye.

May 10, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #743 of 1,408
The Rowan's Creek can be had for ~$32 up in Kentucky. Down here in TN, it's $37 + 9.75% sales tax. Still worth it, IMO.
Agree the Weller's are hard to find, and there's a shortage of Blanton's (and Rowan's) down here. Something about a rough summer that allowed the angels to take more than their usual share...

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #744 of 1,408
Good, and welcome. It's an interesting thread.
Head-Fi has other threads related to hobbies outside the HP realm...check around, you will enjoy it.
Thx for the reputation on the Pappy. Been saving it for a special occasion :).

Cheers,
RCBinTN

Pappy went from one of the best deals ever to the worst deal ever, at least for the average joe, super fast... like only a couple years fast. For those in the know/ live close to where it's made, it probably is still one of the best deals ever but the secondary market makes me sick. I was lucky enough to try them back when they were $50-100 a bottle not a shot. I really liked the cheaper 12 and 13yr. more than the 20 and 23yr.

Blanton's single barrel and Elmer Lee are very much up there with the 12 and 13yr. Pappy imo. I just hope the more money than sense crowd doesn't ruin those 2 as well.

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #745 of 1,408
Yep, agree. I remember the days when The Party Source in Newport, KY, had 15- and 20-year Pappy on their shelves for around $40-60.
Back then, I didn't know what it was so never bought it. I was all into Blanton's then.
The 20-yr Pappy bit the dust last week. Looking forward to this year's Christmas present from the wife.
I thought the 15-yr Pappy I had a few years ago was better than the 20-yr.
Agree also that the Elmer T. Lee is fine bourbon!

Nov 17, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #746 of 1,408
No bourbon for me... Cognac and conversations sure may i recommend lot 29 tesserae or Cognac Grande Champagne Reserve de Famille by Delamain as far as the scotch i let touch my lips dalmore king edward III, balblair, johnny blue, chivas 25 macallan rare cask...

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #748 of 1,408
I used to enjoy Sauza Three Generations Anejo very much, but haven't seen it lately.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #749 of 1,408
Yep, agree. I remember the days when The Party Source in Newport, KY, had 15- and 20-year Pappy on their shelves for around $40-60.
Back then, I didn't know what it was so never bought it. I was all into Blanton's then.
The 20-yr Pappy bit the dust last week. Looking forward to this year's Christmas present from the wife.
I thought the 15-yr Pappy I had a few years ago was better than the 20-yr.
Agree also that the Elmer T. Lee is fine bourbon!

The 13yr. rye Pappy is the best alcohol I have ever had. I think allot of people are put off cause it doesn't have a pic of pappy smoking a cigar and has the word rye on it. I would give as much as $250 for a bottle.

Thing is after my best friend died in 2005 and I inherited his colorado connect and more to the point after I got my volcano vape in 2008 I won't pay more than $250 for a bottle of anything. At least to me no bottle can compete with great flowers put through a volcano. I don't move it anymore like I used to, and have passed that connect to someone else who can, but I can still get 5 zips for $1200. Good luck getting 5 bottles of pappy for $1200. Downside is a bit of maintenance, the cheap $100 a zip sticky bricky won't cut it, and the volcano itself is $500-600.

What about wax/dabs? That's a $1000 a zip. Why wouldn't you go $1000 a bottle? Most of it is crap and I had killer wax way before you ever heard of it. Even out in Colorado shops do not know what they are doing, placing garbage wax right next to killer and charging the same price and don't even get me started on those moon rocks or whatever, you can make your own at home for a fraction of the cost. Give it a generation. It took a good generation to get flowers where they are at today. I'm not going to name names but I have had a few drams of $1000 bottle whiskey. The 13yr. pappy rye bested them and the Elmer's got damn close.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #750 of 1,408
my scotch is 300 to 450 cad thats enough, a sweet spot i think. never order from a bar, except convince this rich biz guys at the boston four season to buy me a 50 yr mcallen... he did and he was visibly disturbed when he got the bill, i offered a sip and he took it, to funny. the cognac is a one off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back