Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Mar 12, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #1,276 of 1,413
IMG_0637.jpg
Our daughter gave birth to a little girl this morning. It's our first grandchild and I'll be raising a glass to her later on today.

Mar 12, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #1,280 of 1,413
So, I got a question…How good is bourbon ? I just read that a lot of different whiskey, but only Bourbon is uniquely made in USA and have to be certified ?
Bourbon is a US product that's pretty straightforward. Straightforward in a sense that it strict laws and guidelines or it won't be considered bourbon. Whisky on the other hand, be it Scotch, Indian, Taiwanese, Japanese, English, Irish, you get the drift, are the unique ones as it can be single cask, first fill, second fill, recharged, virgin etc. Matured in different types of wine, bourbon and even ales. Some whiskies are vatted some are not. Single malt, single grain or blended. So in terms of uniqueness, whisky takes it. I love both whisky and whiskey/bourbon but I prefer whiskey, cask strengths mainly.

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #1,281 of 1,413
So, I got a question…How good is bourbon ? I just read that a lot of different whiskey, but only Bourbon is uniquely made in USA and have to be certified ?
It’s like anything else, there’s good and bad. But because of the federal guidelines for bourbon, it’s almost always going to be sweeter and smoother than regular whiskeys due to the 51% or higher corn mash requirement. Higher rye, peat, and malting can make for a unique taste, but usually at the cost of some smoothness/sweetness.

Personally, I can drink almost any bourbon. I think it’s hard to find bad ones. But there are very few non-bourbon whiskeys that I will pay for. But it’s like anything where opinion comes in to play, good or bad is completely subjective and ymmv.

Mar 13, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #1,283 of 1,413
Cognac, scotch, whisky is enough for me, never got into bourbon. One has to focus to really excel.

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #1,286 of 1,413
point being got enough on my plate before introducing bourbon, not that there anything wrong with bourbon, just had to saw it off. Grappa gets a pass and rum, but that’s another story involving acute taste aversion as youngster with inappropriate consumption

Mar 16, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #1,288 of 1,413
My part of the livingroom ...

Attachments

• IMG_20220316_213132.jpg
    IMG_20220316_213132.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back