Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Oct 8, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #946 of 1,413
We still have dry counties here in Tennessee. The county in which Jack Daniel's is distilled is dry.
You can buy a bottle in their gift shop, but can't buy a drink at a bar.
Of course, there are plenty of moonshine stills up in the hills :)

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #947 of 1,413
We still have dry counties here in Tennessee. The county in which Jack Daniel's is distilled is dry.
You can buy a bottle in their gift shop, but can't buy a drink at a bar.
Of course, there are plenty of moonshine stills up in the hills :)
Someone should challenge the concept of a "dry county" - if it's religious based - on First Amendment grounds. I know so-called "blue laws" have been successfully challenged and thrown out in some states.

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #948 of 1,413
Someone should challenge the concept of a "dry county" - if it's religious based - on First Amendment grounds. I know so-called "blue laws" have been successfully challenged and thrown out in some states.

Getting into homebrewing, I've also heard from brewers who have decided to go in the brewing business. I also grew up in the city that's now considered "Beer City, USA" (Asheville, NC). One thing I have found out is that much of the weird distribution laws are a throw back from prohibition, and there are also monetary and political factors that leave the status quo for why distribution is different for given counties. Some areas only allow one distributor, for example, and they're going to put bigger labels up in top viewing shelves. There were exemptions for wine to be made in the home during prohibition, but beer was still outlawed until as recently as 1977 (I've heard from folks that before homebrewing was legalized, groceries would have a Pabst "hopped malt extract"). Since it was hopped, it only had one use...and you wrote away and received a mimeograph letter with no return stamp, which told you to add this much sugar, water, and yeast...but don't drink. The impression I heard was that it wasn't good at all. Now that home-brewing is legal, I've got access to all the ingredients and methods commercial breweries have, and enjoy trying different styles. Some breweries in NC have also ventured into distilling ("moonshine", full corn, has been popular). I also think NC exploded with the brewing scene because the state allowed breweries to sell their own beers on tap and in growlers with their tasting rooms. In GA, breweries can only sell full pints if they're a brew pub...otherwise, they can only serve samples and go through a distributor with bottling/caning.

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #949 of 1,413
Getting into homebrewing, I've also heard from brewers who have decided to go in the brewing business. I also grew up in the city that's now considered "Beer City, USA" (Asheville, NC). One thing I have found out is that much of the weird distribution laws are a throw back from prohibition, and there are also monetary and political factors that leave the status quo for why distribution is different for given counties. Some areas only allow one distributor, for example, and they're going to put bigger labels up in top viewing shelves. There were exemptions for wine to be made in the home during prohibition, but beer was still outlawed until as recently as 1977 (I've heard from folks that before homebrewing was legalized, groceries would have a Pabst "hopped malt extract"). Since it was hopped, it only had one use...and you wrote away and received a mimeograph letter with no return stamp, which told you to add this much sugar, water, and yeast...but don't drink. The impression I heard was that it wasn't good at all. Now that home-brewing is legal, I've got access to all the ingredients and methods commercial breweries have, and enjoy trying different styles. Some breweries in NC have also ventured into distilling ("moonshine", full corn, has been popular). I also think NC exploded with the brewing scene because the state allowed breweries to sell their own beers on tap and in growlers with their tasting rooms. In GA, breweries can only sell full pints if they're a brew pub...otherwise, they can only serve samples and go through a distributor with bottling/caning.
Asheville is a wonderful place, we've been there several times on vacation. Cool micro-breweries and music scene :)

Oct 11, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #950 of 1,413
Asheville is a wonderful place, we've been there several times on vacation. Cool micro-breweries and music scene :)

Ah, yes that too! All things exploding more since I did live there (but my folks live there, and will never leave). I read a recent Rolling Stone article about how Asheville is now the hip new music venue: for quite a few years...there was the Orange Peel that drew in quite a few first run rock acts (like Smashing Pumpkins). Warren Haynes of the Allman Brothers has been drawing many musicians (like Dave Grohl who says many good things about Asheville). But even while growing up, my folks were into classical music and did take me to symphonies...the Asheville symphony could pretty good given its size. It didn't have recording labels like now my city of Atlanta (which is tied to Telarc).

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #951 of 1,413
I know nothing about whisky, and blasphemy for having a cube of ice with it...

Glenlivet Founders Reserve with some vinyl :)

IMG_20191021_185018.jpg

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #953 of 1,413
I know nothing about whisky, and blasphemy for having a cube of ice with it...

Glenlivet Founders Reserve with some vinyl :)

Nice gear!

Ice is not blasphemy. If you like ice use ice; heck if you like root beer as a mixer use root beer. Enjoy your whisk(e)y any way you like it. :L3000:

Too true. One of the whisky festivals I was at, there was a pop-up cocktail bar doing whisky-based drinks. One had Lagavuilin 16 in it. The purists were shuddering. I enjoyed them.

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #954 of 1,413
Ice is not blasphemy. If you like ice use ice; heck if you like root beer as a mixer use root beer. Enjoy your whisk(e)y any way you like it. :L3000:
If you live in the southern part of the US, "room temperature" is almost 30C in the summer. An ice cube, plus the fact that all good single malt [IMHO] benefits from a wee dram of water, helps the taste.

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #955 of 1,413

Ice is fine, but I’m drawing the line with root beer, at least with scotch. Not because it’s wrong, but it sounds awful :cold_sweat:

True story - someone next to me at a bar ordered a Louis XIII with Diet Coke. The bartender tried to talk him out of it, but he did make the drink. $150.

At least use regular Coke...

Oct 22, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #957 of 1,413
If you live in the southern part of the US, "room temperature" is almost 30C in the summer. An ice cube, plus the fact that all good single malt [IMHO] benefits from a wee dram of water, helps the taste.

I used the same thought process in South Africa when faced with drinking red wine in 30°C temps. Got a few looks with the bottle in a cooler, but who cares.

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #958 of 1,413
It can hit 38C+ around here, and I don't use ice because the speed and amount of water added is uncontrollable. I keep a few Glencairn glasses in the fridge, and by the time it is taken out, appropriate single malt bottle opened, a few minutes on the counter, etc, the temp is close to perfect...

Oct 22, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #959 of 1,413
... plus even though it hits 48C or even higher here in Arizona every year, I have air conditioning so I don't care. The outside temp does not affect my alcohol...

Oct 22, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #960 of 1,413
My area of the South, while getting hot in the summer (and and unusually stayed that way until a couple weeks ago!), as most locations running lots of AC. I've never been concerned about serving temp at my place...I suppose the main concern might be shipments (where crates of liquor could be sitting in areas without AC). I don't hear so much about damage to liquor due to shipment (maybe higher alcohol is part of it?). Wine clubs won't ship via Fedex or UPS during certain heat waves....and luckily there aren't many beer labels that use clear glass bottles (which UV light can make funky).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back