Which Youtube reviewers do you follow
Nov 12, 2020 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10
There are quite a lot of reviewers on Youtube who produce contents on headphones. However, their reviews usually differ a lot on some of the headphones. The question is, whom do you people trust?
I used to follow Jim's Review Room, but he left Youtube. Also, now I understand that he mostly stuck to the mainstream category, and was not analytical enough. His reviews were absolutely subjective.
Then there are channels like Unbox Therapy which is basically an advertisement channel.
There's Wheezy Tech who seems pretty okay.
There's Z Reviews who rants more than reviews. I guess he sticks to his shtick of being overly garrulous.
There's HiFi Dreams for IEMs.
There's Mike O'Brien who does vids with subjective impressions.
And then there's Oluv's Gadgets who shreds headphones for a living. Every time I open his reviews and think, "ooh, that's a popular headphone. He will probably like it", he flat out states that anyone who likes it is probably deaf.

So, in the end, whose review do you people trust? Whose thumbs up is necessary for you before buying a headphone?

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 10
I don't trust anyone's reviews because my tastes will always be different.
What you want from a reviewer is good consistency to their reviewing methodology and for them to have an appreciation for a wide range of tastes.

This is why Z Reviews has a huge hater-crowd too ... he lacks consistency or methodology.
He just likes stuff or hates stuff and focuses on the overall user-experience.

Oluv has good consistency and methodology, but his preferred taste is 'neutral' and anything that isn't 'neutral' is a huge stinking pile of trash... which, to be fair, is a really bad fixed, narrow point of view for any reviewer to have; so it's difficult to take his opinions seriously. He has no range of tastes.

Wheezy is consistent and growing, mostly subjective but sticks to a methodology/formula, so probably one to keep watching.

DMS is a bit up and down with content output, but mostly consistent and grew a lot in content quality and consistency since the early days of the channel.
He also kinda sticks to one preferred 'flavour' close to Harman Target, but he can appreciate a range of tastes. Also provides FR graphs and measurements.

Joshua Valour is one of the most watched going by channel numbers/viewers. Very high quality and consistency, and not afraid of causing a bit of drama.

metal571 quit youtube, but has a long history of consistent reviews. Video content quality is a bit 'bedroom/stream' but the intellectual content is good. Despite the subjective appearance of many of his reviews, he sticks to a certain 'flavour' so it's easier to guage his verious impressions based on watching multiple videos.
Some of the last few months of his videos are still relevant to headphones that are still for sale.

The same can also be said for some of Tyll's videos on the now defunct innderfidelity youtube channel.
He was one of the best and most consistent headphone reviewers ever. Still some old videos are still relevant today, but a lot of them; not so much.
Created a huge FR Graph database which can still be found through online searching.

One of the oldest reviewers on the internet is Steve Guttenberg but he does a mix of everything HiFi.
His reviews are purely subjective so I tend to ignore them.

Nov 17, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 10
Z reviews is fun to watch. He does tend to exaggerate and sometimes I feel that I watch him more based on the way he presents the video rather than looking for a properly informed opinion. In saying that he is quite knowledgeable and I do watch his videos when I'm looking to buy, it does not necessarily affect my decision to purchase, but I will take into account what he says.

I follow Joshua Valour the most, his videos are informative and his way of presenting gravitates towards my liking. I would say that I agree with all his claims on my headphones besides the AKG 712, although he did admit that they were quite comfortable.

I found DMS through watching Zeos, and his videos are shorter but also informative. I have also followed with his tiered rating and agree with it for the most part.

Nov 22, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 10
Tyll.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #8 of 10
I usually like:
- John Darko
- Currawong
- Joshua Valour (video editing quality is really good, better than most advertisement videos)

All three offer insights, that are of value for me personally. Since they have different tastes in sound than I do, there is no "if he likes it, I will probably like it as well" but at least they are very consistent in their sound descriptions.

Z Reviews is comletely useless to me. He never talks about the sound in any meaningful way.

Tyll was awesome, but "retired" from his youtube reviews a while ago.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 10
-Josuha Valor,Currawong. My favorites.
His reviews are simple with no lack of technical content and he is a good communicator. I think they are sincere, despite their tastes and is focused on the general public.
-Z reviews
Very flavored. I mean, it is obviously guided by a few standards and it doesn't get out of there. He has access to a lot of material and does constant reviews. Once you imagine their tastes, it is a guide to compare with other youtuber. Too much rant and deviates a lot from the main theme or turns them around.
-Headphone Show.
Oriented to High end gear. Very good technical and production.
- Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews
IEM DAP oriented. Explain based on songs.Sony profan.
- DMS
Nothing remarkable for me, neither good nor bad.
- Audiophile Heaven
He checks quite a few types of hardware. I follow him to see Chifi products and IEM.
I think he is in this forum as user.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 10
In no particular order:
  • No Theme Reviews
  • Porta.fi
  • A Few Words With PaulWasabii
  • Vortex Reviews
  • Super* Review
  • Currawong
  • Headphones and Coffee
  • Audioreviews.org
I'm allergic to hype, advertorial, access journalism and loud proclamations of things being either the bestest ever or the most **** so these are all people who have their head screwed on correctly in my book.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back