Which USB--->SPDIF do you recommend?
Apr 17, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #18 of 26
I only have experience with one concept, but, I'm satisfied it's getting the job done. That concept is a Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD external sound card. My route is USB to X-FI HD , and X-FI HD to optical S/PDIF at DVD input on Sony pre/pro. The X-FI is  more than a USB to S/PDIF/S/PDIF to USB  converter however, it also provides ADC and DAC conversions too, making it useful for LP to digital conversions, as well as computer audio to home analog audio. In experiments with all manner of media, I cannot discern any divergence in sound quality comparing music  presented with this device to other. I like it a lot, for playback of  music in my iTunes library, up-sampled to 24/96 in Windows7, and sent to  my high end Sony TA-E9000ES.

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #19 of 26
I am using Audiophilleo 2 and it's TOP quality product.
http://www.audiophilleo.com/audiophilleo2.aspx

I am using it directly on my dac (no coax need).
FAR FAR better than HiFace and better than Xonar Essence ST.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #20 of 26
Hi,

I've just recently started to play with the exa devices U2I asynchronous USB adapter and tested this with an AK4396 DAC. It can play 16bit, 24 and 32 bits files (the last bits on 32 files are ignored by the AK4396) at sampling rates up to 384Khz!!

I had a tremendous amount of fun with it and the quality is incredible. It's not that I can play my high resolution files, but my flac CD rips are just extraordinary when using this interface.

On another forum I've seen it compared with a SD-transport and it seems it betters that.

It also has some features that puts it apart from devices such as musiland and m2tech, for example the galvanic isolators that stops any noise comming from the PC.

Really great and high tech stuff, highly recommended!

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 26
I am using Audiophilleo with USB self powered hub and it's work great. It's a good manner to avoid nasty power/noise from the computer
I never tried USB isolator because I don't have. Isolator will permit to avoid noise coming from the data line in theory. But, USB isolator have cheap parts inside and I am not very convinced it's help really and IF there is presence of noise coming from the data line.

Your product seem interesting while you can plug it directly on the dac IS2 (chip). What are the clock they use ? To have a good jitter spect ... it's depend on the precision of those clock too.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 26
There's also an option available from MHDT Labs (the makers of the highly reviewed Paradisea+ and Havana DACS):

http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/USBridge.htm

I know nothing about it, personally but the designers at MHDT seem to have a fairly high ethical approach when it comes to making good sounding equipment.

I'd like to try one, myself but am currently using the SPDIF from my sound card.

Good luck.

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #26 of 26
I realize this is way out there in terms of price, but nothing else come close out there.  I've been testing a prototype but the new v2 about to be released is just a huge improvement in all aspects.  http://www.cryo-parts.com/index.php/usb-to-spdif-converters/sonicweld

The SPDIF interface for most desktop and even portable DACs (where applicable) is must a much better implementation than any USB interface in terms of jitter management.  But leaving it into the DAC to manage it alone is not good enough.  So high-quality cables are essential to do their part and with a Diverter sitting in the middle, digital music will never sound "digital."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back