Which USB port to plug my DAC ?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Naguall, Jun 4, 2018.
Tags:
  1. Naguall
    Hi
    Which USB port on my laptop (Asus netbook) to plug my DAC (HifimeDIY) in order to minimize electromagnetic noise? Currently I am using the only USB 3.0 port because I think it is not shared with any other device (there are 3 other usb 2.0 ports). Is this assumption correct? How do I know which USB ports are shared?
    Any help will be welcome.

2. castleofargh Contributor
    the obvious approach would be to start by doing measurements with RMAA's free version for example while the DAC is looped into an ADC(audio input). then you can test anything you like under any condition you like and see if there is a serious difference in a bunch of variables testing the fidelity of the signal.
    the big flaw with that suggestion is that you need to have an ADC that is at least as good as the DAC. otherwise it's very possible that all your measurements will be showing the limits of the ADC instead of the fidelity of the DAC. if all that costs you is a super cheap cable to make the loop, you may still want to try.

if you're a google ninja, you can probably find some video or picture about the laptop being opened for repairs or just to show internal components. then you might see maybe the USB ports on one side use an independent little card or if they're onboard stuff. but that alone probably won't tell you which is best or if it matters at all.
    won't you hate yourself anytime you have to transfer data to a usb drive if the DAC monopolize the only USB 3 port? ^_^

Naguall likes this.
  3. Roseval
    Naguall and castleofargh like this.
  4. Naguall
    True, but I'd rather think it's for good reason.

5. Naguall
  6. Naguall
    (Sorry for the delay)

7. Phuca
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you can minimise noise by enabling “Spread Spectrum” in your bios/uefi, if it has that option, some do and some dont.

Naguall likes this.
  8. Naguall
    I remember "Spread Spectrum" in pc setups. In my netbook the bios settings are more simple, and lack this.
    Thank you, anyway.