Which Ultrasone HFI is best for brass, esp. trombone
Oct 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hiwi

New Head-Fier
Planning to buy my first full-sized headphone, i think the new HFI-Line from Ultrasone could fit best to my requirements.
After reading a lot about the 580, 680 and 780, mainly from these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/so-...-780-a-289917/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wha...-580-a-327443/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/whe...hfi680-353043/

i think they all have some common characteristics:
- they have a quite low impedance / high effectiveness => they should be all capable for the use with a portable MP3-Player
- i like to give S-Logic a chance
- they all look quite cool!
icon10.gif

But there seems to be no comparison between those headphones, yet. Am i right?

From what i read so far(and the technical details) i guess the 580 could be more suitable for portable MP3-Players, because of his highest effectiveness(101db - 32 Ohm). But i think 680(99db - 75 Ohm) and 780(96db - 35 Ohm) should be also quite uncritical to use with an portable, are they?

Compared with the 580 the main difference between 680 and 780 seems to be, that the 680 has less bass than 780. Apart from that they seem to be quite similar. Cause i do like having a lot of bass i gues 780 fits better to my hearing habits.

So i'm confused, if 580 or 780 better fits to my needs, that are:
- monitoring myself, playing my trombone in a Ska-Band
- monitoring/mixing the sound from the whole band

Long story short:
Which Ultrasone is the best one for brass, esp. trombone (and still useable on a portable)?
Or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Hiwi

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 5
And the HFI-680 still has lots of bass. I don't know which has the most natural presentation the HFI-680 is rumored to have a flatter more neutral response curve, but that is just educated guessing I don't think anyone has done a direct comparison.

I've made a little review of the HFi-680s, but unfortunately I have not heard the HFi-780s. Here is a link for it: techPowerUp :: Ultrasone HFI-680 Headphones Review :: Page 1 / 4

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your fast answers!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HFI/680 and PRO/Proline are the flat ones in the Ultrasone family...

OK, that indicates them to be designed for recording/mixing-issues.

Something a little off-topic that confuses me:
confused.gif

Normally, a lower impedance results in a higher effectiveness. Of course with comparable headphones.
But the 680 has a higher impedance(75 ohm) and a higher effectiveness(99db) than the 780(35 ohm - 96db).
So, which of those would be more suitable with an portable mp3-player?

Hiwi

Oct 28, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 5
I cant offer comparasons but i have the hfi-780 and it is driven as easy as my px100s by my cowon d2 and with a quality audio file it sounds stunning (seperation,detail,bass you name it)
unlike others on this site this is my only quality(although i love the px100s) can but i can say i have no regrets in buying these, maybe everybody is as pleased as me with their first real purchase

Users who are viewing this thread

Back