Which Tweaks have worked for you?
Sep 11, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #46 of 61
Has anyone here tried (or know someone who has) tried one of the Aliexpress knockoff inline power filters, like this one?
flux-50.jpg

I'm interested to see if it makes a difference for the hum from my tube amp, or how it may change the sound by adding multi-stage power filtering for each component after my central power conditioner.

And has anyone found any practical usage of any sort for copper foil tape?
07e0e647-9588-446d-94fa-239f0bb43780.a8c8f5dec4a5b22e7a0934e605656744.jpeg

I'm still trying to reduce the hum from my (anonymous) tube amp and I've been told from the designer it is in fact being generated from within the output transformer, so I'm having to get creative.
Doubt that knock off inline AC filter is going to fix your problem or lowering voltage or power input to amp. Easiest way to test the volume or voltage is turn down the source output.

Doug and I experimented with the copper tape. It will change what you hear slightly but not fix your hum from amp. That hum can be a lot of things including EMI. Could be from your interconnects picking up RFI or EMI, internal circuitry in the amp causing the hum. Is the amp located by any heavy EMI emoting source like monitors? Do all headphones with different impedances exhibit the hum?

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #47 of 61
I've been told from the designer it is in fact being generated from within the output transformer
I tried changing 15 things in my environment and some inside the amp, everything you know and haven't heard of, please believe me on this.

This also includes multiple varying types of headphones on the amp which have all had the hum noise, and around 6 amps of a wide array have been tried, all of which have been 100% quiet on my same desk. Only this amp has a hum and it is from the amp itself, and has even persisted without any tubes and when I have physically touched the amps ground signal.
I'm trying to quiet down its' transformer, possibly by giving cleaner power to the transformer or shield the surrounding wires.

Sep 11, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #48 of 61
It's a heavy 60lb tube amp that uses hefty (brand new) Sowter 15 watt speaker transformers on output which was explained to have a noisefloor when using with headphones. I was recommended to use less sensitive headphones under 90db sensitivity but I can't find any I like that don't cost thousands. I've also tried a makeshift faraday cage, ferrite chokes internally (up to 16 at once), and an inline volume limiter externally on the headphone cable. Although that could mitigate the hum, it had a negative impact on the fidelity in about every aspect so it looks like the idea of adding resistors won't be helpful. The amp costed $5,500 from Poland and time / costs of returning it are implausible. Maybe someone has another idea.

Sep 17, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #49 of 61
I've been told from the designer it is in fact being generated from within the output transformer
I tried changing 15 things in my environment and some inside the amp, everything you know and haven't heard of, please believe me on this.

This also includes multiple varying types of headphones on the amp which have all had the hum noise, and around 6 amps of a wide array have been tried, all of which have been 100% quiet on my same desk. Only this amp has a hum and it is from the amp itself, and has even persisted without any tubes and when I have physically touched the amps ground signal.
I'm trying to quiet down its' transformer, possibly by giving cleaner power to the transformer or shield the surrounding wires.
Maybe someone has another idea.

Not a solution, but rather a tennis game of me 'playing on the same court' (albeit with different equipment)..
I have found with a beaut Burson Conductor V2+ (headphone amp/preamp/DAC unit) that depending on WHERE in the house I put it, it has differing 'noise' qualities.
eg beside the bed, the DAC circuitry gets 'noisy' (a low level hum in the signal) that is not exhibited in ANY other situation.
And this same device has proven the solution (when loaned to friends) for many of their 'hum' issues.
That any given device can exhibit buzz's n hum in a range of situations is crazy...

you don't use the power lines earth line for home networking"?"

I'd definitely take the device 'off site' and test. (I know this can be a hassle, but would be nice to eliminate some 'solutions' from the testing list to stay succinctly focused on beating this issue.
(and would be sad to be forced to buy/use only specific low sensitivity headphones if they are not to your desire for comfort or sound type)

Dec 27, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #50 of 61
@whitedragem , a delayed "thank you" is in order. Just now noticed your post. Although I've already returned the amp for a re-design, one thing I could have tried is connecting the AC power with an adapter that excludes ground connection, for any comparison.

Meanwhile, my solid state amp has been adorning me with truly world-class sound recently. Thanks to the highly useful, innovative and affordable creations from iFi Audio, here is the first of three of their products I'm pleased to share about.

iFi Audio AC iPurifier
This nifty little device plugs into your main power strip and has a special functionality of absorbing stray noise frequencies into your AC power. It also has a feature to show whether your AC polarity and earthing are correct. More technical details here.
ACiPurifier_DSC_3166-lab-1024x532.jpg

For me I didn't really notice much difference, perhaps some positive gain relating to vibrancy or realism so I just left it in for a few months with no qualms. Until I recently chanced upon something called Faraday Fabric Tape which works on EMI / RF shielding. Discovery of this tape has been a small miracle for my system, really taking things to another level by adding depth of scene, darker background, smoother treble etc. at the ends of various cables and even on the sides / bottom of most all my devices. I experienced a major change in detail, soundstage and depth of scene when adding one layer, but it wasn't until multiple iterations of both this combined with copper foil tape that I settled on 2 3/4th layers of this silver shielding tape to be preferrable. Upon removing the device I'm smitten with fairly piercing highs and artificial sound, vs. more realistic, laid back yet equally detailed sound with - much more organic and pleasing, with nothing overdone or lacking. More on this post.
20221226_185234.jpg

Another thing I like about it is the exterior grounding port which is compatible with the likes of banana plugs. I tried connecting this shielded device to my wooden grounding box with minerals with its' shielded silver cable, and I was highly impressed with the FURTHER refinement of sound! Definitely considering getting a dedicated grounding box for this, along with the one I have for my DDC (Audio-GD DI20). But even without the box - this, along with the below make my system sound like I've upgraded the DAC!

20221218_154749.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #51 of 61
Next is something I am especially pleased with. Two things actually.

iFi Audio DC iPurifier 2
DC-iPurifier2-1.jpg
and
iFi Audio SPDIF iPurifier 2
SPDIF-iPurifier2_header2.jpg

Though both devices are for entirely different applications, my experience is that they both yield a similar improvement in sound. The SPDIF iPurifier 2 works to reduce jitter and has a function of reclocking and galvanic isolation for your RCA coax (AKA SPDIF) cable. More details on their website. It requires 5v external power via its USB-C port, and comes with an iFi iPower which is a super high quality AC to DC 'wall wart' that can be considered as an LPS, to deliver clean power. Because purity of power signal makes a difference. Something that also makes this thing extremely useful is its' Toslink optical converter! :L3000: More below.

The DC iPurifier 2 employs a special noise canceling technology effective on an ultra-wide bandwidth and has internal shielding along with special resistors and capacitors. More here.

Though my initial plan was to use the DC purifier to power the receiving side of my USB-optical-USB cable, I found an even better use case for it - combining the DC and SPDIF purifiers together! Being I faced a compatibility issue using the DC iPurifier on the 5v input of my USB optical cable (probably due to the 3rd party DC barrel to USB micro adapter I was using), I went ahead and connected it to the USB-C power port of the SPDIF iPurifier using one of the provided adapters.

Already just with the SPDIF iPurifier (powered with its iFi iPower) I was getting just the improvement I was expecting! Better sense of vibrancy and detail, fuller 'picture', perhaps... Then my focus shifted to what became the crown jewel moment for my hi-fi rig. This is when I took advantage of the Optical Output of the SPDIF iPurifier 2. Having a Chord Electronics DAC, I was pleased to finally be able to use the fiber optical connection.

NOW, THE BIG DIFFERENCE! Coming from a sound that was already downright amazing - very highly resolving, detailed, with ultra-wide FR, hard hitting dynamics, lifelike detail, etc., Now things were upped a notch or two more! This Toslink (mini to normal optical) connection had the uncanny ability to increase sense of true-to-life vibrancy, further smooth out the highs, add very desirable amount of heft to the bass and PRaT, all without sacrificing a single iota! That's right, the sound signature and tonality were kept intact but everything I could have ever dreamed were now in full force. To me this is a truly magnificent sound. Thow oldschool acoustic jazz or soul at it, and you feel like you're with the band back in the days - throw electronic and pop music at it, you feel like you're in the mastering chair and can't help but to smile!

20221225_192908.jpg

20221225_194612.jpg

shown connected to an aftermarket RCA coax cable from my DI20 DDC that is externally shielded with copper foil tape and suspended in the air at present due to length of cables.

Do note the above major improvement was after I connected the SPDIF iPurifier 2 to the DC iPurifier 2 for power, and using its optical output. I actually have a slight preference for the DC iPurifier when connected to my custom made 5V DC LPS, and so I'm using the iFi iPower with my DAC. The final tweak was to add some Faraday Fabric Tape to the end of the DC iPurifier. I got improved results when covering only the input connection side as shown above, vs. covering the entire unit which I also tried. Instantly when sealing this tape it seemed as if the soundstage and treble had come slightly more into focus. For the SPDIF iPurifier, it seemed to already have sufficient shielding to not need anything more.

Also a side note is I would advise against leaving both the RCA coax and optical connections simultaneously connected to your DAC, which for me introduced a sporadic popping sound. It's another reason when I currently have the SPDIF iPurifier 2 suspended in the air rather than connected directly.

This is by no means the only application for the DC iPurifier 2. It in fact works on any device from 5v-24v and comes with many adapters, and can also be used after an LPS like how I have mine. Although I am truly receiving world class sound and have absolutely zero gripes (apart from maybe a minor resonance from my HEDD Audio HEDDphone themselves which is its' own fault), I am also on track for upgrading to aftermarket Toslink and DC cables to see if that makes any further difference with these two devices.

Giving a shout out to a few friends here that may be interested in the above @UntilThen @OctavianH @BIG POPPA @mordy @JazzVinyl @Evshrug @801evan @RONJA MESCO @rsbrsvp @Triode User @senseitedj @Zachik @HumanMedia
Also you may be interested to follow this thread. We got some amazing DIY things going on there.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #52 of 61
Next is something I am especially pleased with. Two things actually.

iFi Audio DC iPurifier 2
DC-iPurifier2-1.jpg
and

Though both devices are for entirely different applications, my experience is that they both yield a similar improvement in sound. The SPDIF iPurifier 2 works to reduce jitter and has a function of reclocking and galvanic isolation for your RCA coax (AKA SPDIF) cable. More details on their website. It requires 5v external power via its USB-C port, and comes with an iFi iPower which is a super high quality AC to DC 'wall wart' that can be considered as an LPS, to deliver clean power. Because purity of power signal makes a difference. Something that also makes this thing extremely useful is its' Toslink optical converter! :L3000: More below.

The DC iPurifier 2 employs a special noise canceling technology effective on an ultra-wide bandwidth and has internal shielding along with special resistors and capacitors. More here.

Though my initial plan was to use the DC purifier to power the receiving side of my USB-optical-USB cable, I found an even better use case for it - combining the DC and SPDIF purifiers together! Being I faced a compatibility issue using the DC iPurifier on the 5v input of my USB optical cable (probably due to the 3rd party DC barrel to USB micro adapter I was using), I went ahead and connected it to the USB-C power port of the SPDIF iPurifier using one of the provided adapters.

Already just with the SPDIF iPurifier (powered with its iFi iPower) I was getting just the improvement I was expecting! Better sense of vibrancy and detail, fuller 'picture', perhaps... Actually it's a bit of a blur because that's history! Because the next thing I did was the crown jewel moment for my hi-fi rig. This is when I took advantage of the Optical Output of the SPDIF iPurifier 2. Having a Chord Electronics DAC, I was pleased to finally be able to use the fiber optical connection.

NOW, THE BIG DIFFERENCE! Coming from a sound that was already downright amazing - very highly resolving, detailed, with ultra-wide FR, hard hitting dynamics, lifelike detail, etc., Now things were upped a notch or two more! This Toslink (mini to normal optical) connection had the uncanny ability to increase sense of true-to-life vibrancy, further smooth out the highs, add very desirable amount of heft to the bass and PRaT, all without sacrificing a single iota! That's right, the sound signature and tonality were kept intact but everything I could have ever dreamed were now in full force. To me this is a truly magnificent sound. Thow oldschool acoustic jazz or soul at it, and you feel like you're with the band back in the days - throw electronic and pop music at it, you feel like you're in the mastering chair and can't help but to smile!

20221225_192908.jpg
20221225_194612.jpg
shown connected to an aftermarket RCA coax cable from my DI20 DDC that is externally shielded with copper foil tape and suspended in the air at present due to length of cables.

Do note the above major improvement was after I connected the SPDIF iPurifier 2 to the DC iPurifier 2 for power, and using its optical output. I actually have a slight preference for the DC iPurifier when connected to my custom made 5V DC LPS, and so I'm using the iFi iPower with my DAC. The final tweak was to add some Faraday Fabric Tape to the end of the DC iPurifier. I got improved results when covering only the input connection side as shown above, vs. covering the entire unit which I also tried. Instantly when sealing this tape it seemed as if the soundstage and treble had come slightly more into focus. For the SPDIF iPurifier, it seemed to already have sufficient shielding to not need anything more.

Also a side note is I would advise against leaving both the RCA coax and optical connections simultaneously connected to your DAC, which for me introduced a sporadic popping sound. It's another reason when I currently have the SPDIF iPurifier 2 suspended in the air rather than connected directly.

This is by no means the only application for the DC iPurifier 2. It in fact works on any device from 5v-24v and comes with many adapters, and can also be used after an LPS like how I have mine. Although I am truly receiving world class sound and have absolutely zero gripes (apart from maybe a minor resonance from my HEDD Audio HEDDphone themselves which is its' own fault), I am also on track for upgrading to aftermarket Toslink and DC cables to see if that makes any further difference with these two devices.

Giving a shout out to a few friends here that may be interested in the above @UntilThen @OctavianH @BIG POPPA @mordy @JazzVinyl @Evshrug @801evan @RONJA MESCO @rsbrsvp @Triode User @senseitedj @Zachik @HumanMedia
Also you may be interested to follow this thread. We got some amazing DIY things going on there.

Awesome stuff, thanks a lot. Folks at our R&D need to at least see this :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 31, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #53 of 61
Yesterday I happened to do another comparison with / without the above mentioned combo of iFi DC iPurifier 2 + SPDIF iPurifier 2 with its Toslink optical output. Just direct out of my DDC via good RCA coax cable to the DAC I heard a sound that was impressive: gritty, dynamic, full of energy - a great performing hi-fi experience that holds your interest. But putting back the above 2x iFi stack I'm taken to a whole new arena. Dynamics are just as fast, but more refined. Treble is just as detailed, but not as fatiguing. Instead of listening to a great sounding reproduction, I'm now there with the artists and am much deeper into the scene. A downright jawdropping experience that is silky smooth and real, refined and pure, rather than an aggressive and gripping imitation of the real thing. YMMV but for me, a combination of these two were one of my most significant upgrades over the years.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #54 of 61
Yesterday I happened to do another comparison with / without the above mentioned combo of iFi DC iPurifier 2 + SPDIF iPurifier 2 with its Toslink optical output. Just direct out of my DDC via good RCA coax cable to the DAC I heard a sound that was impressive: gritty, dynamic, full of energy - a great performing hi-fi experience that holds your interest. But putting back the above 2x iFi stack I'm taken to a whole new arena. Dynamics are just as fast, but more refined. Treble is just as detailed, but not as fatiguing. Instead of listening to a great sounding reproduction, I'm now there with the artists and am much deeper into the scene. A downright jawdropping experience that is silky smooth and real, refined and pure, rather than an aggressive and gripping imitation of the real thing. YMMV but for me, a combination of these two were one of my most significant upgrades over the years.
Thank you very much! :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 14, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #55 of 61
@whitedragem , a delayed "thank you" is in order. Just now noticed your post. Although I've already returned the amp for a re-design, one thing I could have tried is connecting the AC power with an adapter that excludes ground connection, for any comparison.
I see you've returned your tube amp but as a matter of interest did you try DC blockers for an AC IEC inlet like the one iFi makes?

I ask as I had a loud transformer hum with my R26 dac and another low-level one in my LFD amp, the former only audible through the chassis, the latter via my speakers. A Puritan PSM power conditioner quieted them 95% and 100% respectively. Understand this may be in part due to its DC filtering.

Apr 14, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #56 of 61
Next is something I am especially pleased with. Two &.

iFi Audio DC iPurifier 2
DC-iPurifier2-1.jpg
and

Already just with the SPDIF iPurifier (powered with its iFi iPower) I was getting just the improvement I was expecting! Better sense of vibrancy and detail, fuller 'picture', perhaps... Then my focus shifted to what became the crown jewel moment for my hi-fi rig. This is when I took advantage of the Optical Output of the SPDIF iPurifier 2. Having a Chord Electronics DAC, I was pleased to finally be able to use the fiber optical connection.

20221225_192908.jpg
20221225_194612.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. You have me intrigued to try the DC iPurifier 2.

I am a big fan of the iPurifier s/pdif 2, which I use with the Ifi Power X. I had the v1 as well for years, the v2 is a big jump. It massively improves the sound from the Toslink output of my TV (various video streaming services incl YT Music) vs going direct to the Toslink input of my R26 DAC. Without, the sound is thin and brittle, with it it is more full-bodied & dynamic, quieter background, more natural, very impressive for an AV source. A reasonably priced tweak that can take this to the next level and further close the gap vs my dedicated music streaming chain is worth a shot. Fallback is it can be used on other gear if say the Power X is already too low noise to benefit from it.

I presume you used the DC > USB C adaptor that came with your Ifi s/pdif 2, correct?

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #57 of 61
I see you've returned your tube amp but as a matter of interest did you try DC blockers for an AC IEC inlet like the one iFi makes?

I ask as I had a loud transformer hum with my R26 dac and another low-level one in my LFD amp, the former only audible through the chassis, the latter via my speakers. A Puritan PSM power conditioner quieted them 95% and 100% respectively. Understand this may be in part due to its DC filtering.
Yes, I've tried up to two each of the iFi GND Defender and iFi DC blockers which go inline between an IEC cable and your device, and many countless trials of combinations of both together, one or either before or after a flux-50 AC filter, and before one or more components. My advice is to get both, and try-try-try to see where they work the best. They are very system dependent. But IME the benefit lies more in actually improving the sound, less than removing hum/buzz which is only a very nuanced amount.

I also got the iFi AC iPurifier which plugs into spare ports, as posted previously, that seems to really add some depth and macro detail similar to what a grounding box would do.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #58 of 61
Thanks for sharing this. You have me intrigued to try the DC iPurifier 2.

I am a big fan of the iPurifier s/pdif 2, which I use with the Ifi Power X. I had the v1 as well for years, the v2 is a big jump. It massively improves the sound from the Toslink output of my TV (various video streaming services incl YT Music) vs going direct to the Toslink input of my R26 DAC. Without, the sound is thin and brittle, with it it is more full-bodied & dynamic, quieter background, more natural, very impressive for an AV source. A reasonably priced tweak that can take this to the next level and further close the gap vs my dedicated music streaming chain is worth a shot. Fallback is it can be used on other gear if say the Power X is already too low noise to benefit from it.

I presume you used the DC > USB C adaptor that came with your Ifi s/pdif 2, correct?
Yes, the iFi inline DC purifier which works from a range of approximately 5 through 24 volts DC is a very nifty little tweak for further refining the sound and for me, the only place I could use it was between my DC LPS and the iFi SPDIF purifier (which I also use for its converter to Toslink optical). Guilty admonition - the first one I got I placed it between two other components, not checking the polarity assuming the male side was for input, only to discover it hot as an oven hours later, and it still worked for a short time until I had to replace it; lesson learned but at least it didn't explode and the new one works like a charm, they are both very sleek and military grade quality.

Yes at first I used their provided DC female to USB type-C adapter cable. That definitely sounded good, but I went ahead and took it a step further. I contacted my coveted and highly trusted cable builder Darren in Singapore who is not afraid to tackle new challenges and new innovations in cable design, using only the finest quality materials. He fashioned for me 2 DC adapters shown below which I am now using, and it was definitely a step in the right direction, sounding neutral, nice bass bloom and detailed. Actually his DC cables sound even better than the ultra thick high quality JSSG 360 cables I got from a China boutique builder that I swore by for years.
IMG20230129123302.jpg

You should check him out, his name is Darren Chan and he also makes sublime yet affordable headphone cables and interconnects. I've got a few more of his really nice and affordable DC cables coming also for use and other areas of my system. Email him at his website:
https://arctand.com/

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #59 of 61
Yes, the iFi inline DC purifier which works from a range of approximately 5 through 24 volts DC is a very nifty little tweak for further refining the sound and for me, the only place I could use it was between my DC LPS and the iFi SPDIF purifier (which I also use for its converter to Toslink optical). Guilty admonition - the first one I got I placed it between two other components, not checking the polarity assuming the male side was for input, only to discover it hot as an oven hours later, and it still worked for a short time until I had to replace it; lesson learned but at least it didn't explode and the new one works like a charm, they are both very sleek and military grade quality.

Yes at first I used their provided DC female to USB type-C adapter cable. That definitely sounded good, but I went ahead and took it a step further. I contacted my coveted and highly trusted cable builder Darren in Singapore who is not afraid to tackle new challenges and new innovations in cable design, using only the finest quality materials. He fashioned for me 2 DC adapters shown below which I am now using, and it was definitely a step in the right direction, sounding neutral, nice bass bloom and detailed. Actually his DC cables sound even better than the ultra thick high quality JSSG 360 cables I got from a China boutique builder that I swore by for years.
IMG20230129123302.jpg

You should check him out, his name is Darren Chan and he also makes sublime yet affordable headphone cables and interconnects. I've got a few more of his really nice and affordable DC cables coming also for use and other areas of my system. Email him at his website:
https://arctand.com/

Great tip thanks! I’ve heard DC cables are critical, but not something I’ve gotten around to looking at. This might just be the prompt I need. Will check it out.

Apr 14, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #60 of 61
Yes, I've tried up to two each of the iFi GND Defender and iFi DC blockers which go inline between an IEC cable and your device, and many countless trials of combinations of both together, one or either before or after a flux-50 AC filter, and before one or more components. My advice is to get both, and try-try-try to see where they work the best. They are very system dependent. But IME the benefit lies more in actually improving the sound, less than removing hum/buzz which is only a very nuanced amount.

I also got the iFi AC iPurifier which plugs into spare ports, as posted previously, that seems to really add some depth and macro detail similar to what a grounding box would do.
Cheers, thought you would have, just checking. I’m sorted for now with the Puritan and the Groundmaster with dedicated ground I added last week… effect was like adding another more or bigger ground boxes and covers all audio sources.

I got a ‘Furukawa’ Flux-50 too.. works damn well on my LHY clocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back