Which starter IEM to get?
Nov 14, 2008 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

xtenglong

Head-Fier
I'm kind of new into the audiophile world. I bought a pair of Alessandro MS-1 a few months ago, and I loved the way they sounded. Unfortunately though, I lost them
frown.gif
. Right now I'm looking to buy some IEM's, but as I look through all of the threads, I just become completely lost with all the different companies and models, so I have just no idea what to pick. I'm still a high school student, so I can't really afford to spend too much, and I probably can't get an amp either. I'm currently using some skullcandy iem, but it just isn't that satisfying to listen to.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 36
Hmm, if I start saving my money now, minus some money that i'll be spending during black friday, I'd say my budget is around $150. Would it be worth it to save up a little more and get the Super.fi 5 Pro, or is it not worth the extra money? How does Westone compare with UE?
EDIT: I find it important that what I'm getting is more bang for my buck (don't know how i'm trying to word this, but i think you guys get my point). Also, I think it's important that they will last me a long time, hopefully throughout my college life if I'm lucky.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 36
One of my first pair of IEMs were a set of V-Moda Vibes that I got from Amazon for under $100. Now I see they have them for under $75.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 36
I got these IEM's at Wal-Mart for cheap ($24) and they sound pretty damn good, IMO - albeit I've never tried a high end IEM for comparisons sake.

That will change soon - today I got impressions done for a pair of Sleek Audio Customs.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for these G-Cube's though (model iB-660) they have a good bit of Bass and everything sounds balanced enough. I wish someone who knew all the technical jargon could review them. :p

G-Cube.JPG

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 36
Okay, so I've been putting a lot of thought into this, and I was thinking maybe it isn't too smart of me to jump straight to the UE Super.fi 5 Pro. I'm still new to the audiophile world, and I feel that I just won't appreciate those IEM's as much as I could if I didn't work my way up to them. Plus, I currently don't have a job, so it's really hard to save up money for them, and a pair of decent cans later. Remember, I started out with a pair of MS-1's (which I lost T__T...) and I really liked them a lot.

I've been researching a lot through the various threads, and thought it would be more wise for me to spend AROUND $70 for the IEM's. I was looking at the Etymotic ER6's first, but I read in a thread that the AL im716 tops it. Which one of these is better suited for me, and are there any other IEM's I should consider? BTW, the music I listen to are mostly asian music and I'm not quite sure how I'd categorize them. Examples of the bands that I listen to that are in English are:
The Strokes
Test Icicles
Silverstein
Radiohead
The Postal Service
OK Go
My Chemical Romance
Jimmy Eat World
Katy Perry
Amber Pacific
The Academy Is...

I know it probably would've been better if I just named the genre's, but I'm just unsure on how to categorize them. I guess my taste in music is very broad, and I sometimes even find myself listening to classical music, so I guess that's why I enjoyed my MS-1's so much.

FYI, probably going to get a pair of FiiO E5's when they come out, and either a BSG cMOY amp or Penguinamp Caffeine when I get more money.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #9 of 36
That would be called Rock
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 36
hahaha, I see, are there subcategories for these too? Cause they don't all sound the same to me >.<.

Also how would you categorize music that can be easily sung to. I can only think of asian songs for this. Bands/Artists I usually listen to in this category are Jay Chou, Big Bang, Super Junior, and Wang Li Hong (These are the most popular among the asian music I listen to). Not sure if anybody here is familiar with them though.

Also, back to the more important question, which IEM should I be considering in my situation?

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtenglong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at the v-moda's, but i read too many reviews saying that the wiring or structure is really weak, and many of them broke down within weeks of use.

Thats right, my friends vmoda stuffed within a week. The replacement pair comes and still going but doesnt sound as good as the first pair (muffled triple).

Also he things that its the straight plug thats causing the problems for him at least. Newer right angled models are better.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

hahaha, I see, are there subcategories for these too? Cause they don't all sound the same to me >.<.

Also how would you categorize music that can be easily sung to. I can only think of asian songs for this. Bands/Artists I usually listen to in this category are Jay Chou, Big Bang, Super Junior, and Wang Li Hong (These are the most popular among the asian music I listen to). Not sure if anybody here is familiar with them though.

Also, back to the more important question, which IEM should I be considering in my situation?

Haha, I also listen to a lot of Asian music (Big Bang, Leehom Wang, Jay Chou, Leo Ku, Gary Cao). I'm also quite curious as to what category they fall into.

I think we're both looking for the same thing. Here are few of the IEMs I've been looking at:
Altec Lansing iM716
CrossRoads MylarOne X3
Head-Direct’s RE2
SoundMAGIC PL-30
Etymotic ER6i
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
Denon AH-C551K

Just out of curiosity, which one of these sounds closest to the Yuin PK series? I love the sounds from those little earbuds.
atsmile.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaGreatAzn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I also listen to a lot of Asian music (Big Bang, Leehom Wang, Jay Chou, Leo Ku, Gary Cao). I'm also quite curious as to what category they fall into.

I think we're both looking for the same thing. Here are few of the IEMs I've been looking at:
Altec Lansing iM716
CrossRoads MylarOne X3
Head-Direct’s RE2
SoundMAGIC PL-30
Etymotic ER6i
Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3
Denon AH-C551K

Just out of curiosity, which one of these sounds closest to the Yuin PK series? I love the sounds from those little earbuds.
atsmile.gif

Well i know when im listening to big bang, i like to feel/hear the bass. For bass i would recomend the mylarone xb, pl30, or the c551k. I hear these phone pump out the bass. I have the pl30 and they are great for bass pumping music like hip hop, Big Bang(sometimes), techno.

thats just if you like bass. I dont know how Jay chou and them sound soo yea. just my opinion.

Nov 17, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 36
hmm, well a lot of jay chou's songs has less bass than big bang. Don't know how to describe it exactly, but it's a lot easier to sing to, and a lot of songs use more instruments like piano and acoustic guitar.
I guess I just listen to a whole bunch of different music, so I'm looking for a very good all-around detailed IEM.

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

hmm, well a lot of jay chou's songs has less bass than big bang. Don't know how to describe it exactly, but it's a lot easier to sing to, and a lot of songs use more instruments like piano and acoustic guitar.
I guess I just listen to a whole bunch of different music, so I'm looking for a very good all-around detailed IEM.

get the superfi pro 5 good for detail...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back