Which speaker would you rather listen to(graphs)?
Mar 18, 2019 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...surements-kef-reference-1&catid=77&Itemid=153
Built entirely by robots.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/amphion_argon3/
Keep in mind the second is built with much better components throughout. The cabinet is also better(hand) built. It is much less expensive because it is direct from Finnland.

Otherwise I would say these are "competitors". Something like the 805 D3 sounds completely different. These two are pretty true to the source. The Argon does have a bit of a mid-treble bump. Which actually may sound good if you hear them. Price is not the object here. Notwithstanding names or prices, which looks better to you?

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 3
I'd gamble on the KEF. The Argon doesn't just have a midrange bump, everything above 1000hz is still clearly louder than below it save for that bump. It's smoother below 100hz but chances are when actually listening what it gains there might not be audible over that stronger midrange to treble response.

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 3
That is what I figured. The KEF is indeed more accurate. What graphs cannot show you is things like PRAT, how fast they are ETC. I personally found in actual listening it is a tough call. They are actually pretty similar. Similar Driver materials ETC. The KEF leans slightly one way and the Argon the other but just slightly. The KEF is slightly more "sterile". That may be due to the flatter treble response. Since at my age I have lost some high frequency hearing. It is a tough call. Price is not a factor here. I have had both in my treated room and I cannot decide. This is not my reference system by any means. That is already taken care of. I did think a smallish sub was easier to blend with the Argon. Although it was at 63HZ. I doubt they go to what they say. I do not like pounding bass nonetheless but either needs a sub. I think where the KEF may edge it out is that it is a 3 way. It does not crossover as harshly. Although the Argons crossover is very low so also nearly inaudible. I picked these two because they were the sound I wanted. I just cannot decide. I said price is no issue but I would get the KEF's for no where near MSRP either. So prices are actually close. The new Argon 'S' is horrid IMO. Luckily can still get the original if I want. When ran with solid state and rather harsh revealing DAC the Argon might be a tad sweeter too. Which again graphs do not tell you. This is like the first time ever I could not make up my mind. A/B they are more similar than you might guess. The KEF is less efficient and only(very good) 100WPC amp. Of course had to adjust volume for a/b but I spent hours on this already. This is difficult. Since they both have virtues but I cannot decide which I like better.
The KEF certainly graphs better but you really need to hear them. One thing that has absolutely no bearing on sound, the Argon's boxes are much nicer wood and craftsmanship. If you heard them, you too might think it is a tough call which to live with. They are more similar than anything but the slight differences are pronounced. I would say the KEF is more of a "monitor". The Argon, well it is just difficult to call. Thank you for looking. Probably in the end the KEF but just not sure yet. This is actually driving me crazy right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back