Which Source? Where to Buy?
Nov 22, 2002 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Whit

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently looking for a new cd player. I'm considering the NAD C541i, Marantz 6000OSE and the Arcam CD72. I am open to other suggestions though. The max I can spend is around $800. Unfortunately I don't have any hifi shops anywhere nearby so I can't audition these. Also where can I purchase these online? I've done a google search but all I can turn up are reviews. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks.

Whit

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 23
I would strongly reco the Sony SCD-555ES with mods from Oade Bros. That will just about max out your price limit and give you outstanding Redbook and SACD playback. Originally, this unit was $1600 without mods, but can now be had from Oade for cheap.

If you don't know about SACD or why you should care about the new hi-rez formats, please click on the link in my sig ("The CD is dead..."). I'll be happy to answer any questions if you'd like to PM me. Cheers.

Mark

Nov 22, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 23
Hmmm....do they sell them pre-modded? What is there web site?

Nov 22, 2002 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 23
www.oade.com

Don't think it comes premodded. You'd have to get in a waiting list for mods...most likely a long list.

You could also probably get a used 9000ES and have that modded somewhat, since 9000's seem to go for around $650 used nowdays.

Nov 22, 2002 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 23
Search your way around Audiogon's web site and look for a while and wait for a really good bargain!! Every once in a while something special pops up, but you have to be fast!! Tons of readily modifyable stuff to be found there. Sony 333, 555, and 775 models can all have some major mods done to them for relatively cheap.

Click HERE to go to Audiogon.

If you're interested, you can buy a 775 for about $200, then send it to HERE to have it modified. Doubt you could do much better for sound in that price range. (I'm quoting the web site, so don't come looking for me if it doesn't!!)

MarkL and others have had great success having mods done to thier units, it's all a matter of what you're willing to invest. The great thing is you can always have the mods done in stages later if you want to add some Bybee filter to the input stage at one point, then the output stage later!! Flexibility is the name of the game!!

Nov 22, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 23
The Jolida JD100 should be at the absolute top of the list at a smidge under $800.

The Sony ES line are comparatively poor redbook performers amongst their single format competitors. Harsh, harsh, and harsh are three words that immediately come to mind.

Nov 22, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 23
Nov 22, 2002 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 23
Clik here to go to a thread on a new, Philips DVD 963SA DVD/SACD/Upsampling CD player. Unfortunately, seems like there's only one person at this forum who has heard a pre-production version this unit (Tuberoller) so there's not yet a consensus of opinion about the source. But, if it functions as well as, a.) what Tuberoller described; b.) what it's spec'd to do, this should be a terrific sounding and versatile unit.

Bruce

Nov 22, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 23
I agree with Markl. The C555es with Oade Brothers mod that runs $750, or atleast thats what I paid in August, is excellent. They also have the new Phillips player that upsamples cd and plays sacd too, for about $425. On the cheap they have the C222ES for $325, and its a very good machine for that amount. The C222ES/555ES ARE CHANGERS/5DISC. The phillips is a single disc machine. I especially enjoy the changer, load up and listen all night. The sony changers are good cd transports as well and have a decent headphone jack. I dont know specifics about the phillips, other than the little I have read.

Nov 23, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 23
There was a 333ES on audiogon with identical Modwright mods plus Bybee filters for a mere $725, but it's sold:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...lay&1040829815

The mods Oade does no doubt improve sound quality but they are much more modest than those done by Modwright or Richard Kern, which of course, also cost much more than the Oade mods.

I can tell you that my Modwright mod-ed player is just phenomenal. I've gotten so much enjoyment out of it. Very realistic, clean sound. Mods affect both CD and SACD playback equally.

Moral of the story-- yes, by all means hang out at audiogon and swoop in on a used modified 333ES or 555ES.

Mark

Nov 23, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 23
Another Arcam vote here. ZZZ is selling the Arcam Alpha 9 (which might be better than the CD72) for $550 in the For Sale forum. Please buy it before I do; zzz is definitely a reputable seller. (I've met him.)

Nov 23, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
I CHECKED FOR YOU AND THE PHILLIPS IS THE NEW 962SA, drop shipped for $420. This is at Oade Brothers.

I'm not so sure about that. When last I heard, Oade wouldn't have them until January (though that's the standard business production strategy, isn't it: underpromise and overdeliver). I do hope you're right.

The place that does have them is Soundform (sales@soundform.nl), which is a Dutch store, inconveniently enough. Shipping is frightfully expensive, of course, but the good part is that the player arrives with PAL conversion and multi-region playback enabled. However, I've also heard that anyone who owns a Pronto (Phillips's universal remote) can do the same, presumably with the US model (though I'm waiting for reports). The unit ships with two hybrid SACD/CDs so that the new owner can hug itself with sonic glee and buy more product.

Nov 24, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 23
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm going to look into the 555ES. So I'm now considering the 555ES, Arcam CD72T, and the Music Hall CD25. Does anyone know where I can buy the CD72T online? There is nowhere even close to me that sells it.

Whit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back